What's new

BVHE Press Release: Soul (4K UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
‘THE BEST ANIMATED MOVIE OF THE YEAR’
– Peter Travers, GMA.com

vcsPRAsset_3467942_98703_94e94eec-1cdb-40ec-a9f4-4cb4b65269d9_0.jpg

Disney and Pixar’s ‘Soul’ Sparks to Life on 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™, DVD and Digital on March 23

Directed by Academy Award® winner Pete Docter (“Inside Out,” “Up”), co-directed by Kemp Powers (“One Night in Miami”) and produced by Academy Award nominee Dana Murray, p.g.a. (Pixar short “Lou”), Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” will be available on digital, 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD on March 23.

The digital and physical releases of “Soul” will include exclusive, never-before-seen deleted scenes and audio commentary by Pete Docter, Kemp Powers and Dana Murray. Additionally, fans can find the film packaged as a collectible SteelBook® at Best Buy and packaged with a limited-edition gallery book at Target.

Honored as a recipient of the American Film Institute’s Movie of the Year Award and winner of the National Board of Review’s Best Animated Feature in addition to being included on its Top Films list, “Soul” is “an animated film fit for all ages,” (Jazzie Belle, Vibe.com) loved by critics and audiences alike. Certified-Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes™, add “Soul” to your Disney and Pixar collection on Movies Anywhere and buy it on 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD on March 23.

Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” Bonus Features*
  • Deleted Scenes
    • Introduction – Writer Mike Jones and story supervisor Kristen Lester introduce the “Soul” deleted scenes.
    • Mentor Orientation – Joe sneaks into the You Seminar Mentor Program orientation, trying to figure out how on earth he can get back to ... Earth.
    • Clubhouse Forgery – Joe follows 22 into her “secret lair” as she reluctantly agrees to help him find his way back to Earth.
    • Home Lessons – Stuck inside Joe’s body, 22 clumsily attempts to help the downstairs neighbor.
    • Living the Dream – Joe has a heart-to-heart with 22 about her fear of living on Earth, then tries to make his way back home via a dream portal.
    • Press Shot – Joe, stuck in a cat’s body, and 22, stuck in Joe’s body, take the subway to the jazz club for a publicity photography session.
  • Audio Commentary – View the film with audio commentary by director Pete Docter, co-director/writer Kemp Powers and producer Dana Murray.
  • Not Your Average Joe – See the thought and care that went into crafting Joe and his story in Pixar’s first film to feature a Black leading character.
  • Astral Taffy – Get an in-depth look at the artistry and technical innovation that went into creating the sets and characters in the world of “Soul.”
  • Pretty Deep for a Cartoon – The filmmakers tackle big questions, such as where does a newborn’s personality come from, what’s the meaning of life, and more!
  • Into the Zone: The Music and Sound of Soul – Explore the movie’s different sonic worlds and discover how music drives and adds specificity to Joe’s journey.
  • “Soul,” Improvised – See how the Pixar Systems team and “Soul”’s crew managed to finish the film on schedule during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Jazz Greats – Giants of the jazz world who consulted on “Soul” share their passion and hard-won wisdom about what music is and does for us all.

*Bonus features may vary by retailer and product.

Synopsis: Jamie Foxx leads an all-star cast in this hilarious, heart-filled adventure. Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” introduces Joe, who lands the gig of his life at the best jazz club in town. But one misstep lands Joe in a fantastical place: The Great Before. There, he teams up with soul 22 (Tina Fey), and together they find the answers to some of life’s biggest questions.

Voice Cast: Jamie Foxx as the voice of Joe Gardner
Tina Fey as the voice of 22
Phylicia Rashad as the voice of Libba
Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson as the voice of Curley
Angela Bassett as the voice of Dorothea
Daveed Diggs as the voice of Paul
Graham Norton as the voice of Moonwind
Rachel House as the voice of Terry
Alice Braga as the voice of Counselor Jerry
Richard Ayoade as the voice of Counselor Jerry
Wes Studi as the voice of Counselor Jerry
Fortune Feimster as the voice of Counselor Jerry
Zenobia Shroff as the voice of Counselor Jerry
Donnell Rawlings as the voice of Dez
June Squibb as the voice of Gerel

Director: Pete Docter

Co-Director: Kemp Powers

Producer: Dana Murray, p.g.a.

Executive Producers: Dan Scanlon
Kiri Hart

Story and Screenplay by: Pete Docter
Kemp Powers
Mike Jones

Original Score by: Trent Reznor
and Atticus Ross

Jazz Compositions and
Arrangements by:
Jon Batiste

Disney and Pixar’s “Soul” Product Specifications
Street Date:March 23, 2021
Product SKUs:Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD
Physical: 4K Ultra HD™ Combo Pack (4K UHD™ + Blu-ray™ Feature
+ Digital Code), Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray™ Feature + DVD +
Digital Code) & DVD
Feature Run Time:100 minutes
Rating:U.S. Rated PG
Bonus material not rated
Aspect Ratio:Digital: 2.39
Physical: 2.39:1
U.S. Audio:4K Ultra HD™: English Dolby Atmos and 2.0 Descriptive Audio,
English and Spanish 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus
Blu-ray™: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, Spanish
5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD: English and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby
Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital,
English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital
CA Audio:4K Ultra HD™: English Dolby Atmos and 2.0 Descriptive Audio,
English and French 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus
Blu-ray™: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, French
5.1 Dolby Digital
DVD: English and French 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio
Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby
Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital,
English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital
U.S. Subtitles:4K Ultra HD™: English SDH and Spanish
Blu-ray™: English SDH and Spanish
DVD: English SDH and Spanish
Digital: English SDH, French, Spanish
CA Subtitles:4K Ultra HD™: English SDH and French
Blu-ray™: English SDH and French
DVD: English SDH and French
Digital: English SDH and French

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For some reason, I have never been a huge fan of animated films. I mean, there are some exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, I felt my Disney+ subscription to worthless to me as most of their content is family-orientated animation.

Today I figured I would try and watch SOUL, given the fact it was just announced for 4k disc release.

Having just finished it, I wanted to come here and say how completely moved I was by the film.

SOUL is so radically different than any animated film I have ever seen.

I don't think I have ever watched something so wonderful in quite some time.

titch

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
For some reason, I have never been a huge fan of animated films. I mean, there are some exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, I felt my Disney+ subscription to worthless to me as most of their content is family-orientated animation.

Today I figured I would try and watch SOUL, given the fact it was just announced for 4k disc release.

Having just finished it, I wanted to come here and say how completely moved I was by the film.

SOUL is so radically different than any animated film I have ever seen.

I don't think I have ever watched something so wonderful in quite some time.
The director, Pete Docter, has directed the Pixar animated feature films Monsters, Inc. (2001), Up (2009), Inside Out (2015), as well as Soul (2020). I haven't seen Soul yet, but I think Up is one of the best animated films ever made - particularly the first 15 minutes. I saw it in 3D theatrically and every single person in the cinema was moved to tears in those 15 minutes. How would you rate Soul, compared to the others he's directed?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The director, Pete Docter, has directed the Pixar animated feature films Monsters, Inc. (2001), Up (2009), Inside Out (2015), as well as Soul (2020). I haven't seen Soul yet, but I think Up is one of the best animated films ever made. How would you rate Soul, compared to the others he's directed?

Never made that connection. Funny you mention INSIDE OUT. I loved that film and SOUL reminded me of it.

I have seen all his Pixar films and by far, SOUL surpasses them all.

However, I don't want to get your expectations up too high before you watch the film.

Come back and let me know what you thought.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I look forward to getting this.

If the listings in the press release are complete, this is the first Pixar title in some time that won't have a selection of theatrical trailers. Maybe Disney didn't want to preserve those because the theatrical release was scrapped in most of the world, but it's still a surprise to see them missing.

Do we know when retailers will be putting up pre-orders? I'm very curious to see what the Best Buy steelbook looks like. If it looks nice, I'll splurge on that. The regular artwork is serviceable but looks rather plain.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't bought the 4K disc for a new film in quite some time, but I plan to buy this just from the trailer I have just viewed.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just noticed that the list of special features doesn't include Burrow, the Pixar short which was scheduled to accompany Soul in theaters.

Burrow was released onto Disney+ the same day as Soul was, although obviously it didn't precede the film in the sense that it would have in a theatrical setting. But I still thought they might stick it on the disc anyway. I guess the short will remain a Disney+ exclusive for the foreseeable future.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Blu-ray.com posted artwork for the Best Buy steelbook and the Target digipack edition.

and

I love the steelbook, so I'm hoping to get ahold of a clean copy of that one. Still no pre-orders up yet though.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
So far, SOUL is not listed in a 3D Blu-ray edition in Europe, although it was produced in that format. Perhaps between now and March 23, that will change. If not, this will be the first Pixar movie since WALL-E not to get a 3D release in the UK. Probably this has to do with the fact that theaters were shuttered due to the pandemic, so it wasn't seen theatrically in 3D in many places, if any. Whatever the reason, it would be disappointing.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So far, SOUL is not listed in a 3D Blu-ray edition in Europe, although it was produced in that format. Perhaps between now and March 23, that will change. If not, this will be the first Pixar movie since WALL-E not to get a 3D release in the UK. Probably this has to do with the fact that theaters were shuttered due to the pandemic, so it wasn't seen theatrically in 3D in many places, if any. Whatever the reason, it would be disappointing.
One would think if they produced a 3D version and it was not seen in theaters, that would be a bigger reason that it should be released on blu-ray. I'd think that would make it more likely to shift more 3D copies than one that was already in theaters in 3D.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess let’s see if India gets it, there have been a few 3D titles that only came out there.

It could also be that they never bothered to render out a 3D version if they knew it wasn’t going to play theatrically. The film would have likely been in post production when the pandemic hit, and it’s entirely possible that they just never went through with that step.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It could also be that they never bothered to render out a 3D version if they knew it wasn’t going to play theatrically. The film would have likely been in post production when the pandemic hit, and it’s entirely possible that they just never went through with that step.
That's what I was thinking but conversely, they might have done a 3-D version for international release or prior to a final decision of it going to Disney +.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Soul did play theatrically in markets where theaters are open and Disney+ does not exist. I read somewhere (though I don't remember where) that it is currently the #2 Pixar film of all time in China, where their box office has recovered from the pandemic.

I do not know if this means it played in theaters in 3-D though.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
It did show in 3D in China. I went ahead and watched it on Disney Plus after hearing that there would be no 3D disc release even in the UK- there is a "Stereoscopic 3D" section in the end credits as there usually is even on 2D versions; this will be the first Pixar movie that I do not buy.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Because of the lack of 3D- I won’t buy any 2D edition of a 3D movie. I usually won’t even waste my time watching them unless it’s something I really want to see.

Mark VH

Second Unit
The director, Pete Docter, has directed the Pixar animated feature films Monsters, Inc. (2001), Up (2009), Inside Out (2015), as well as Soul (2020). I haven't seen Soul yet, but I think Up is one of the best animated films ever made - particularly the first 15 minutes. I saw it in 3D theatrically and every single person in the cinema was moved to tears in those 15 minutes. How would you rate Soul, compared to the others he's directed?

I think Up is the best movie Pixar has ever made - the first 5 minutes rightfully gets lauded but I think the rest of the film is criminally underrated for that reason - and have a particular fondness for the Docter oeuvre. I'd rate Soul as the second best of his entries, just ahead of Inside Out and probably somewhere in the bottom half of the Pixar Top 10. The electronic score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross is absolutely tremendous and unlike anything I've heard in a animated film. It's wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samuel698