What's new

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Much as I appreciate GIANT, Dean almost ruins the film for me because of his hammy, method-acting performance which is totally out of place amongst the traditional "Hollywood" performances of stars Taylor & Hudson ( who I thought were absolutely terrific in their roles ). It's not hard to imagine why the characters in the film wanted nothing to do with him. Surprised Stevens didn't direct his performance to be more in line with the tone of the rest of the cast.
I suspect Stevens did that deliberately, to keep the Jett Rink character aloof and apart from the other characters (even though he so wanted to be accepted and loved by them )

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I watched the first 20 minutes today just to get a taste.
Have never seen the movie before as it didn’t appear to be anything that would interest me.
Anyway what is the timeline of those first 20 minutes?
Hudson shows up to buy a horse and the next thing that happens is he’s on the train with Taylor and married.

Seems to all have taken place in 2 days from arriving and getting on the train.
Is that right?
I think it's supposed to be about a week from when Taylor and Hudson meet until they get married. She even mentions it later in the film to her teenage daughter played by Caroll Baker

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it's supposed to be about a week from when Taylor and Hudson meet until they get married. She even mentions it later in the film to her teenage daughter played by Caroll Baker
Wasn't there a line in the film in which she said it took her a whole week to hook him.

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Ok. I just didn’t get that far yet.
Not to spoil anything, but you'll see that it's a whirlwind romance based on mutual attraction and lust, but the characters soon discover that their ideas and values on certain things are worlds apart...

But keep watching !

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Question: I'm not 4k UHD, I don't intend to be. I've been through VHS to Blu-ray and I'm not gonna to up grade to a new format. That's just me. But do y'all think a Blu release would be an up grade to the previous one?

On another note have about 200 Laserdics I would love to get rid of. Raintree County is not one of the. Lol

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I wonder if 'Giant' in 4k may be the spark needed to release 'East of Eden' in 4k or Blu Ray? Our internet is too slow to stream a film, but the only physical version available of EoE here in the UK is still on DVD :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if 'Giant' in 4k may be the spark needed to release 'East of Eden' in 4k or Blu Ray? Our internet is too slow to stream a film, but the only physical version available of EoE here in the UK is still on DVD :(
You can't import from Amazon in the States or Deep Discount?

Amazon product

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Is anyone watching the 4K disc on a non-4K television? How does it look? Dark? or not?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can't verify it personally, but some other sites report that the East of Eden blu-ray is region-free. Many major studio releases are if they own worldwide distribution rights to the film.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can't verify it personally, but some other sites report that the East of Eden blu-ray is region-free. Many major studio releases are if they own worldwide distribution rights to the film.

It is my understanding all WB Blu-rays are indeed region free

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1656776004528.png

In 2013, I bought this James Dean Blu-ray set from the UK and East of Eden plays fine on my Oppo 203 without me having to change regions here in Michigan.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
View attachment 143417

In 2013, I bought this James Dean Blu-ray set from the UK and East of Eden plays fine on my Oppo 203 without me having to change regions here in Michigan.

That's the exact cover I have with that rating in the circle.

I thought perhaps I imported it from Canada. I guess I imported it from the U.K.

I can't remember the circumstances why. Perhaps it was much cheaper.

Same Blu-ray I just watched the other day, so yes, region-free!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Okay, I just checked the Blu-ray release below that was released in the States on March, 2014. DVD Profiler is showing "No Region Coding".

1656776448622.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's the exact cover I have with that rating in the circle.

I thought perhaps I imported it from Canada. I guess I imported it from the U.K.

I can't remember the circumstances why. Perhaps it was much cheaper.

Same Blu-ray I just watched the other day, so yes, region-free!
The UK set came out a week earlier than here in the States. I think I imported it because it was cheaper than what that BD set was selling for here.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Thanks for all the advice here - that UK collection seems no longer available, so I’ll have a go at an import (even though I’d prefer a 4K - I know, there’s no pleasing some people)😏

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Rock Hudson's problems with James Dean didn't have anything to do with being turned down (although, I have no doubt that may have happened), but rather Dean's style of acting seemed disrespectful and time wasting to Hudson. In addition to Geroge Stevens' love of numerous takes per camera setup, the crew had to endure Dean's regular tardiness and "method" related delays, which caused friction between the two men. Hudson learned acting by doing...film to film, he didn't like Dean's nonsense (or what he perceived as nonsense).

I don't know about Giant but in East of Eden, James Dean would change the script to whatever he felt like doing for the scene while they were filming. The other actors would have to change their response/actions to whatever Dean was doing. I guess the director liked what Dean was doing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digimont
Recent bookmarks