What's new

Getting rid of basement stink... (1 Viewer)

Stephen Bort

Agent
When we moved into our house, the basement was already professionally finished. But every so often the "basement smell" is very noticable...you know, musty. So what's the best/simplest/cheapest way to get rid of basement stink?

S

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Hey Stephen,

If you have a really musty, nasty basement smell your best, cheapest solution is to go out and buy a good dehumidifier and air purifier. That should suck most of the moisture out of the air and create a crisper environment. As well, the air purifier will remove lots of basement airborne particles... especially nice if you have asthma or allergies.

I'm sure there are loads and loads of other solutions guys here can suggest.

Cheers,
Andrew

Paul Stanley

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem, and I did the same thing that Andy suggested. Also, the more time you spend down there, for some reason the smell goes away. Maybe its all the movement or something.

Only when the basement goes unused for a week or so do we notice the beginnings of the mustyness.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
also you might have to get rid of carpet and febreeze all the furniture. But a dehimid certainly helps, and I imagine a purifier would do wonders. Also, you can't go wrong with a nice air freshener! ;)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Also make sure you have no moisture coming in anywhere. Check the grading outside to make sure the land around the house is sloped away from the foundation.

You could also paint any masonry with Dryloc to help with moisture coming through the walls and floor.

Do get a dehumidifier! Make sure it's big enough to handle your basment. You can never buy one too big. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks