Subwoofer issues

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Billy Posey, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

I woke up in the morning a couple of days ago and I heard a loud humming noise coming from the basement I thought it was the dehumidifier but when I went to check it out it was one of my subwoofers from my hometheater. I thought it was something going on the the connection but after further study it was just my subwoofer. I took it out of the setup and began working on it. every time I turned it on it would start humming. I checked the fuse but that wasn't it. I took out the speaker and man did it stink like burning metal. It was the driver itself that smelled burned. I hook the driver directly to my upstairs system. The sound was fuzzy but it produced actually sound not a humming noise. I hooked up a passive subwoofer up to the subwoofer amp and there was the humming noise. I'm sure it's dead but am not sure what's the actual problem. Have you guys ever heard of anything like this. It's not too much of a problem since it's was used for secondary purposes. and I have a few others to use. I guess that I will be throwing the amp and the driver away. One thing however, I am shocked by the sturdiness of the enclosure. It was my first ever power sub and was at least six or seven years old. It wasn't terribly expensive so I did not expect the build quality to be this decent. It was even braced inside and have dampening matierial inside. I was messing around once with a subwoofer from htib setup and when I took it apart it looked everybit of it's price. Anyway I can't bring myself to get rid of the enclosure, I'm not sure what I'll do with it I will figure something right. Have ever lost a sub if so how did you dispose of it.

2. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

What kind of sub is it?

Had there been a lightning storm shortly before you noticed the humming?

Was the sub connectected to a surge protector?

Seth=L

3. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

There was a storm recently but I can't remember if it was during the night before I noticed the humming. Yes it was hooked up to a surge protector as was my other subs. It was an old KLH sub I really didn't need it any more. It was my first ever power sub from nearly seven years ago. I was just using it because I didn't know what to do with it.

4. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

Maybe you will save some electicity now without using a sub you don't know what to do with. It was probably damaged in some way buy a surge or something from a storm, but who knows its a KLH, it could be anything. I had a KLH receiver about 5 years ago from Best Buy and it started having problems withing the first week. My workplace has had the same receiver for years and it has no problems as far as I can tell. It seems like hit and miss with KLH anymore and they used to be a highly respected name in audio. sigh.

Seth=L

5. Billy Posey

Billy Posey Second Unit

We'll the wife is happy. She thinks I have too many power subs around anyway. She doesn't know that I will soon a diy sub project with my son. And I am hoping to get an svs early next year.

6. chuckg

chuckg Supporting Actor

Toss the amp and the driver. Keep the enclosure, put a new driver in it, and push it with a nice big amp. There's a simple DIY for ya.

When the amp on my sub went wonky, I just ripped it out and put in a real, honest-to-godness amp that uses a real power transformer and nice big transistors instead of those weak, digital switching amps that are all the rage now. Sounds ten times better.

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Screenwriter

I am so sick of the term "digital" being used to sell. Hybrid Digital amps are one of the biggest crocks. OOOOOOhh DIGITAL, now bow to me. ha ha ha ha![​IMG]

Seth=L

8. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

Billy, you are very fortunate to have the sub last that long. Do an internet search on the KLH subs, particularly www.audioreview.com. I replaced mine after its death in 4 months with a Sony SA-WM40 and never looked back. For a REALLY low-cost sub I don't think this could be beat. Looking to upgrade to an SVS now, but I've been using mine since 2000.