What's new
World Wide Stereo

Getting Max. Potential (1 Viewer)

Matt_SA

Auditioning
Hello, I am in the process of upgrading my reciever (from a Techniques SA-AX730)-this reciever is only pro-logic w. 6ch. input, but I am using a DVD player with a built in DD decoder, sending the decoded signal to my reciever. None of my other devices (such as x-box) can take advantage of Dolby Digital due to my reciever's limitations. Additionally, it has no component video input, so also only 1 device may use this type of video signal (straight to my TV). I do realize it is best to put it straight to the TV, however I would prefer to be able to switch it on the reciever since I have multiple devices capable of outputting the signal. Aside from the video I want a reciever that can accept a S/PDIF signal from my laptop, as well as a FEW optical inputs from other devices. My budget is pretty low, like $300 +/- a few dollars. My question is: Based on the reciever I have, should I:
a) Buy a new reciever and solve all my problems, and if so which one?
b) Find a separate Dolby Digital decoder as well as a component video switcher and integrate that into my existing system?
c) Find some other solution that I don't know about-if so PLS HELP!
*Note- I am satisfied with the actual performace of my reciever, even though it's not the best, the only reason I'm switching is for the features*
Thanks!
-Matt

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Matt_SA

Auditioning
A clearer question would be is my dated reciever worth keeping/going to hassle of finding these parts? Or does my now complete set of 6 higher end Paradigm speakers deserve better? (BTW my reciever is 100watts/channel 4-12 OHM/0.8% THD) *yes NOT 0.08 :frowning:

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Dolby Digital and DTS will KILL Pro Logic so you won't just be updating features.

I think you are asking for an awful lot for your $300 budget. I would suggest saving until you can spring for something closer to $500. I did see a Harmon Kardon AVR325 for $441 that had what you needed. You CAN get a onecall credit card that will allow you 12 months same as cash I think. Most of these receivers only had 2 component inputs.

http://ww1.onecall.com/About_0000100...1_0_18_0_0.htm

Matt_SA

Auditioning
Thanks for the link-yeah I know they kill Pro-Logic :frowning: But you know I do have Dolby Digital with my current system where it matters the most - dvd's ..but I hate how my reciever limits my system in other ways!

John S

Senior HTF Member
$90 for a decent interem solution is more than reasonable.

Heck if you like it, there wouldn't even be a reason to upgrade.

That $90 is buy'n you a significant upgrade in sound.

Matt_SA

Auditioning
Ok I have seen the price of standalone decoders and have decided to go witha reciever. I think the benefits of improved sound quality will outweigh the cost, and no ext. decoders I have com across have enough audio inputs let alone ANY video switching. Now my question is which reciever - I do like the HK mentioned above, however I don't think it had any component inputs. I was thinking of a Sony STR695, but I have heard that they are not of the best quality - any opinions/experiences would be of help! Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Go to ecost.com put Denon in the search engine..

They have some really outstanding deals right now on them.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious - how do you intend to obtain DD or DTS output from your xBox? Mine has only L and R RCA outputs - no digital output whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks