Getting Max. Potential

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt_SA, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Matt_SA

Matt_SA Auditioning

Hello, I am in the process of upgrading my reciever (from a Techniques SA-AX730)-this reciever is only pro-logic w. 6ch. input, but I am using a DVD player with a built in DD decoder, sending the decoded signal to my reciever. None of my other devices (such as x-box) can take advantage of Dolby Digital due to my reciever's limitations. Additionally, it has no component video input, so also only 1 device may use this type of video signal (straight to my TV). I do realize it is best to put it straight to the TV, however I would prefer to be able to switch it on the reciever since I have multiple devices capable of outputting the signal. Aside from the video I want a reciever that can accept a S/PDIF signal from my laptop, as well as a FEW optical inputs from other devices. My budget is pretty low, like $300 +/- a few dollars. My question is: Based on the reciever I have, should I:
    a) Buy a new reciever and solve all my problems, and if so which one?
    b) Find a separate Dolby Digital decoder as well as a component video switcher and integrate that into my existing system?
    c) Find some other solution that I don't know about-if so PLS HELP!
    *Note- I am satisfied with the actual performace of my reciever, even though it's not the best, the only reason I'm switching is for the features*
    Thanks!
    -Matt

2. Matt_SA

Matt_SA Auditioning

A clearer question would be is my dated reciever worth keeping/going to hassle of finding these parts? Or does my now complete set of 6 higher end Paradigm speakers deserve better? (BTW my reciever is 100watts/channel 4-12 OHM/0.8% THD) *yes NOT 0.08 [​IMG]

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Dolby Digital and DTS will KILL Pro Logic so you won't just be updating features.

I think you are asking for an awful lot for your $300 budget. I would suggest saving until you can spring for something closer to $500. I did see a Harmon Kardon AVR325 for $441 that had what you needed. You CAN get a onecall credit card that will allow you 12 months same as cash I think. Most of these receivers only had 2 component inputs.

http://ww1.onecall.com/About_0000100...1_0_18_0_0.htm

4. John S

John S Producer

5. Matt_SA

Matt_SA Auditioning

Thanks for the link-yeah I know they kill Pro-Logic [​IMG] But you know I do have Dolby Digital with my current system where it matters the most - dvd's ..but I hate how my reciever limits my system in other ways!

6. John S

John S Producer

$90 for a decent interem solution is more than reasonable.

Heck if you like it, there wouldn't even be a reason to upgrade.

That $90 is buy'n you a significant upgrade in sound.

7. Matt_SA

Matt_SA Auditioning

Ok I have seen the price of standalone decoders and have decided to go witha reciever. I think the benefits of improved sound quality will outweigh the cost, and no ext. decoders I have com across have enough audio inputs let alone ANY video switching. Now my question is which reciever - I do like the HK mentioned above, however I don't think it had any component inputs. I was thinking of a Sony STR695, but I have heard that they are not of the best quality - any opinions/experiences would be of help! Thanks!

8. John S

John S Producer

Go to ecost.com, put Denon in the search engine..

They have some really outstanding deals right now on them.

9. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Just curious - how do you intend to obtain DD or DTS output from your xBox? Mine has only L and R RCA outputs - no digital output whatsoever.

10. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator