What's new

Getting Email About Watched Threads (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve started getting emails about some watched threads. I have specified I don’t want emails for watched threads. Wasssup?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Johnny. We are having internal discussions about this as some of us mods have already noticed this happening.

But let's see if we can get the big guns involved. @Dave Upton

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny:

Assuming this is still a problem for you, I'm going to pass on a trick I've figured out on my own.

I surf the forum by constantly checking my "Watched Threads" page. If you go to yours, it looks like this:

full

Note that on two of the threads here is "Email" next to a box. I checked those box and then clicked "Manage Watched Threads" in the upper right hand corner (above the list of threads) and clicked "Disable email notification." The word "email" disappeared in both. And the email notifications stopped.

But I haven't yet figured out how to disable e-mail notifications on PMs.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
I'm new and I'm still trying to figure out if every thread I comment on is automatically watched or not. This post and thread is my test case.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm new and I'm still trying to figure out if every thread I comment on is automatically watched or not. This post and thread is my test case.

If you post in a thread, I believe you are automatically subscribed to that thread. You also have an option to "Watch" a thread at the top of any thread page.

This thread is specifically about getting e-mail notifications wheneever a watched thread is bumped..when you're preferences say you don't want e-mail notifications. Something screwy has happened as the result of a software update.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mike, thanks for that view of the Watched Threads page -- I never knew about the email checkbox.

Just to see if I had any threads to "clean up" (since I don't want email on these things), I went through all 32 pages of my Watched Threads. I found only one to delete, so that's taken care of. But I don't understand why the label "email" doesn't appear at any of my checkboxes until I get down to page 19 or thereabouts...and then all of those checkboxes are labeled "email".

So I tried checking one of mine right at the top, and "email" didn't appear. And when I refreshed the page, my checkmark was gone.

No big deal, I just like to figure out how these things actually work, and this one leaves a question or two.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There's definitely some funky shenanigans going on, Charles.

As near as I can ascertain (but it's owner @Dave Upton who knows this stuff inside/out--and is looking into things) the word "email" only appears if that thread has been watched by you since a recent HTF software update. (Or, apparently, as you describe it, if it is a thread you subscribed to a long time ago.)

So what I did was check the box if the word e-mail appeared (in any recent/active threads--since I would be getting email notices about only those) then click the "Managed Watched Threads" box on the upper right part of the page and it allowed me to opt out of the e-mails for those checked threads. And then those e-mails would stop.

However, I cannot figure out a way to stop e-mail notices for PM/Conversations. And we are also having an issue in which people seem to be getting subscribed to the weekly email notification of featured/busy HTF threads.

Like I said, funky shenanigans.

If I didn't answer your question, feel free to try again so I understand it better.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
To be clear, the featured / recent threads digest email is not something you opt into, it's just a default feature of the forum and is sent three times per week. I am still looking into the notifications issue

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mike, thanks. I’m cool with whatever the deal is on this, so no biggie. I’m mostly curious to understand the workings, so whatever conclusions you and Dave come to are fine with me.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Annnnnd.... I just got an email about a watched thread for which the box is NOT checked, but it’s one I posted in yesterday evening.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Annnnnd.... I just got an email about a watched thread for which the box is NOT checked, but it’s one I posted in yesterday evening.
I was receiving such emails too after I posted in a thread with the same unchecked boxes. Something is definitely wrong here.

However, I finally stopped getting such email notifications when I unchecked the following in my preferences:

Email options
  • Receive news and update emails
  • Always email watched thread notifications
  • Receive email when a new conversation message is received
Content options
  • Automatically watch content you create…
      • and receive email notifications
  • Automatically watch content you interact with…
      • and receive email notifications

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Good lord. I had to uncheck several things there. Which I could swear I'd unchecked way before now.
Thanks, Crawdaddy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just unchecked those boxes now, too.

I'm gonna bet those preferences were changed for some of us during a recent software update and that's why we started getting e-mails.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I just unchecked those boxes now, too.

I'm gonna bet those preferences were changed for some of us during a recent software update and that's why we started getting e-mails.
This appears to be the case. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone!

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That makes sense. BUT — though my boxes have been unchecked for more than a day in both my preferences and watched threads, I’ve gotten email for both Robert Crawford’s and Mike’s posts...so I’ll probably be getting one on Dave’s soon. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry, to hear that, but I'm still not getting any emails, but I also unchecked some other stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks