What's new

Getting a sticker off of a box? (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
I have a box that I am trying to get a sticker off of without harming the box....Is there an easy way to do it? I tried heating it with a blow dryer and then peel it off (which normally works really well on laminated boxes) but this time it that doesn't work well at all...any ideas?

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
GOO GONE

Removes grease, stickers, tar, gum, crayon, tape

With Citrus Power!

Citrus Power and Scientific Technology combine to defeat the toughest stains
  • Stickers
  • Make-up
  • Oil
  • Wet paint
  • Scuff marks
  • Shoe polish
  • Tree sap
  • Asphalt
  • Candle wax
  • Tape
  • Glue
  • Grease

Mostly, I use it just for sticker residue. Available at Fred Meyer or similar places.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
The stuff is pretty oily. If the box is laminated it shouldn't be a problem, but it would probably soak into regular cardboard. You only need a little bit on a cloth, though, so if you do it quickly it may not leave any marks.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I used goo gone on my Xmen 1.5 box (stupid 'features' page was GLUED onto the back of the shiny box. ANd not with that removebale booger rubber glue too, but actual glue!) awhile ago... did NOT turn out good... the back cover's all greasy and crap now... maybe i didnt use enough to get rid of all the residue...

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
While I've never used Goo Gone you might try regular WD40 instead as its dirt cheap and works just as well at removing sticky goo...though for your purpose I'm not sure how you'd get it off without harming the cardboard below.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You might try carefully applying some solvent like Goo Gone, lighter fluid or lacquer thinner, just to the label and enough for it to ONLY soak into the label (I recommend a Q-Tip). Hopefully this will dissolve the adhesive from the "other" side, allowing you to peel off the label itself, leaving the layer of label adhesive. Then, you can use masking tape to pick at the layer of adhesive. If it's stubborn try a drop or two of solvent. Good luck! BTW, what is the box?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

My first copy of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly Collector's Edition had that stuff on it and it actually removed a chunk of paper from the cardboard case. The discs were also loose in the box with scratches, so I exchanged it, taking more care in my removal of back sheet. I managed it, but there's a blister where the "snot glue" was the strongest. That stuff is usually pretty good, but not in combination with that GBU case!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks