What's new

Need to upgrade 20+ year old reciever (1 Viewer)

Gumpy_one

Auditioning
Real Name
David Tarshis
My speakers are Paradigm Studio 100's with matching center and ADP350's for rears and 10" sub. My current receiver is a RX-V995, nothing wrong with it besides no HDMI. Just bought a RX-A660 for 377.00 nib, not sure about the 80watts coming off of 100watts per channel. Budget can go up to 1k, maybe 1.2k depending on appeal. I'm not brand loyal to Yamaha, but would like something to really compliment my speakers. I can return the 660, still in unopened box, but the price was right. I'm not an audiophile, but do appreciate good sound. I'm pretty sure I can make the the old receiver work, but if there's something out there that would be a significant upgrade without breaking the bank, I'd be all over it. I did demo the Anthem MRX-720, but was a little sticker shocked, 2500.00 would be a bit much for just the receiver. I don't think that atmos is a big consideration, it's nice, but ceiling speakers are out, and the speakers that get placed on the mains pointed to the ceiling were priced from 600 each down to 279 each. Not sure that's in the future. If it was a dedicated HT room, then definitely yes. But this is the main family room.

Other components will be PS4, sat receiver, 60" sumsung 4k,

Thanks, Dave

edit: 30% music, 70% tv/movies, 100% TURN THAT DOWN!!!

Last edited:

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The RX-A660 is a great receiver and will drive the Paradigms just fine (the speakers are 92/89 sensitivity, so they're not very demanding of power). I think all receivers are about 80w these days, any other number is really just number massaging.

I'm not sure what you're main concern is. The 80w/100w throws me off; the only thing I can think of is you're comparing receiver wattage to speaker capacity - if so, that's not a necessary comparison.

If you're just going for the power, then yeah, you'd need to go with an amp. But unless your room is very large, I don't think you'll need more power for those speakers. Usually you only need an amp for very large rooms or 4 ohm speakers.

Gumpy_one

Auditioning
Real Name
David Tarshis
The RX-A660 is a great receiver and will drive the Paradigms just fine (the speakers are 92/89 sensitivity, so they're not very demanding of power). I think all receivers are about 80w these days, any other number is really just number massaging.

I'm not sure what you're main concern is. The 80w/100w throws me off; the only thing I can think of is you're comparing receiver wattage to speaker capacity - if so, that's not a necessary comparison.

If you're just going for the power, then yeah, you'd need to go with an amp. But unless your room is very large, I don't think you'll need more power for those speakers. Usually you only need an amp for very large rooms or 4 ohm speakers.
Thanks Al, just the kind of confirmation I was looking for. Just what exactly does the Anthom offer for 2500.00 or some of these other a/c recivers at 1000.00+ dollars? Like the NAD T758 for 999.00 or the Yamaha RX-V777BT for 800.00 for instance. Would I just be paying for the increased watts 120 watts and 110 watts (respectively)? What would I be missing?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks