What's new

Get Smart! (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I got my set in January and I'm just about finished with season 4. One more season to go.

This is a really great set. I didn't get to see much of this show when it was being reran in the 70s. My mother didn't like it so we didn't watch it. I did manage to catch the odd rerun now and again but could never really develope an appreciation for the show. I did get to see more of it while in college in the mid 80s (where I also discovered Monty Python and revisited the 60s Batman) so I was able to develope more of an appreciation for the show. Still, I was never that big of a fan. I liked it, but not like everyone else that I knew at the time.

Now, having watched almost the entire series, I really, really like it. I bought the set mainly because it was the entire series available at once and I do consider the show to be one of those iconic 60s shows. I'm pretty picky about which 60s shows I've bought on DVD. I was never that big of a 60s TV fan. The 70s are really my thing. However, I have made a few exceptions when it came ot 60s TV. Get Smart was one of those exceptions.

So far, season 2 has been my favorite season. That season seemed to have more laugh out loud moments than any of the other seasons. Ship of Spies from season 1 has to be one of my favorite episodes. I couldn't stop laughing. The three part episode, A Man Called Smart from season 2 is another of my favorite episodes.

All in all, this set has been well worth the cost.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Agreed, Brian. One of the best TV shows of any era has gotten what I think is perhaps the best DVD treatment any show has ever gotten.

With the Steve Carrell movie coming in June, I bet we see a push on the DVD sets, either through Time Life or at retail.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I agree. Time-Life really went all out when producing this set. It would be nice if more TV on DVD sets received this same level of treatment, but alas that just isn't to be.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Nude Bomb has just been announced for DVD, coming June 17. The Digital Bits has the scoop.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, The Nude Bomb is a surprise. I guess they really want to get a lot of Get Smart stuff out before the Carell disaster, er, movie is released.:)
I'd prefer to find the much more satifying Get Smart, Again. That is a newer DVD version of it.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Even if the new Get Smart movie tanks at the box office (like I think it will) if it means getting the TV series in a general release, I'll take it and like it.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I finished watching the series this week end. Well....I can see in the fifth season where the show started to run out of steam. It was still funny but they did start to use the same jokes over. I didn't like the revamped opening that they used for season five.

All in all, a good series.

I've watched most, but not all, of the special features. There is just too much on this set to watch all at once. I'll be spending the next couple of weeks going back and watching the special features that I haven't already watched. Plus, I haven't watched any of the episodes with the commentary. Those should be fun.

As for the new movie, well....I've good things and bad things about it. I seriously doubt that I'll go and see it. Having the series is enough for me.

DVDiva

Grip
Real Name
Pat
Nelson Au said:
Wow, The Nude Bomb is a surprise. I guess they really want to get a lot of Get Smart stuff out before the Carell disaster, er, movie is released.:)
I'd prefer to find the much more satifying Get Smart, Again. That is a newer DVD version of it.
Get Smart, Again is currently available. (UPC 692865281337, SRP $7.99)
And now for the completists, Sony will also be trying to capitalize off the theatrical release by thrusting the 1995 remake/sequel upon the unsuspecting masses. This series, starring Andy Dick as Max and 99's son and featuring Don Adams and Barbara Feldon in supporting roles, lasted all of 7 episodes on FOX. Sony will be releasing the "Complete Series" on 1 DVD on June 3. The SRP is $19.95, but wait six months and maybe it'll be reduced to $9.95.;) The UPC is 043396257429 and has a runtime of 158 minutes.

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
DVDiva said:
Get Smart, Again is currently available. (UPC 692865281337, SRP $7.99)
And now for the completists, Sony will also be trying to capitalize off the theatrical release by thrusting the 1995 remake/sequel upon the unsuspecting masses. This series, starring Andy Dick as Max and 99's son and featuring Don Adams and Barbara Feldon in supporting roles, lasted all of 7 episodes on FOX. Sony will be releasing the "Complete Series" on 1 DVD on June 3. The SRP is $19.95, but wait six months and maybe it'll be reduced to $9.95.;) The UPC is 043396257429 and has a runtime of 158 minutes.
I remember trying to watch the first episode of the sequel series when it premiered and I had to turn it off--it was that bad.
Now the Nude Bomb, I will likely buy. I remember sneaking up late at night to watch an unedited version on TV when I was a wee lad, so it has nostalgic value, even if it's not a very good film.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow, except for re-releasing Get Smart Again on DVD, that'll do it for Get Smart on DVD. The '95 show - which was pretty bad, even by Andy Dick standards - isn't very good. But hey, if Universal can release Galactica 1980, why not?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I imagined we would be hearing about the release of the 60s series to coincide with the remake release - wonder why Warner's is still silent?

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Sam Favate said:
Wow, except for re-releasing Get Smart Again on DVD, that'll do it for Get Smart on DVD. The '95 show - which was pretty bad, even by Andy Dick standards - isn't very good. But hey, if Universal can release Galactica 1980, why not?
There's one episode that's a must see for all original GS fans - the return of Bernie Kopell as Siegfried. There's a sceen where Siegfried's daughter is trapped with Zach (Max & 99's son) and they're compairing notes on their childhoods. The daughter then says "my father always told me he was a doctor on a cruise ship!" That's the best line in the series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I heard the extras on the '95 show DVD will include two "lost" episodes from the 5th season of the original show.

Would you believe one "lost" episode?

How about a paper sleeve in an Amray cover?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
There's one episode that's a must see for all original GS fans - the return of Bernie Kopell as Siegfried. There's a sceen where Siegfried's daughter is trapped with Zach (Max & 99's son) and they're compairing notes on their childhoods. The daughter then says "my father always told me he was a doctor on a cruise ship!" That's the best line in the series.
That is actually pretty funny.

I never saw the 1995 series - I don't think it even made it to NZ, since I never even knew it existed until a couple of years ago when I read about it on WouldYouBelieve - and I know it sounds absolutely awful, but I will confess to being slightly curious about it.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have any Coupon Codes for TIMELIFE.CA -- ??
Now that S1 has been announced officially, I'd like to pick up the TL sets while I still can!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
According to The Digital Bits, HBO will be releasing the COMPLETE SERIES set and the press photos provided seem to be identical to that of Time Life's release.
Does anyone know if this is coming in addition to the individual barebone season sets and if this will indeed feature ALL of the "exclusive" TL contents?

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Still the best TV box set ever produced. Glad to see it will be widely available for all to enjoy - I assume this means it will be available outside the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks