What's new

Get Smart! (1 Viewer)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
While I really hope the show does come out, what happened to the idea that TVShows on DVD stated they wouldn't print any rumors, just concrete facts? I guess that didn't stick for long.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll take that question, Mark. :)
As TSoD has grown and gotten more popular, we've also found that there are a number of people in the industry - studio side, retail side, whatever - who like to contact us and give us info that they can't talk about openly yet, for varying reasons. Mostly because things aren't finalized, and can still change. You'll note that I always bring that up whenever I talk about rumors.
Most DVD news sites at present deal in concrete facts, waiting for a retailer to list a title or a studio to send to send out the announcement before posting anything. When somebody in the industry likes your site well enough to hand you an exclusive bit of info, are you going to say "no"? Nah, there's a good incentive to take that "scoop" and stand out from the crowd, eh? :D
In fact, Ain't It Cool News built their entire site around the concept, and look at what they've turned into! I could say the same about a (usually) non-entertainment site: The Smoking Gun. Like 'em or hate 'em, you have to respect the success of their "business model".
Suffice it to say, Gord and I are VERY careful about what we post, and I always must be convinced and I almost always clear it with Gord first. We judge on whether or not it adds anything to the world to post the info. Nah, it won't help or hurt the hungry people of the world or anything imporant like that, but we ask ourselves "is this something that helps fans to know about at this time?" If not, then we just leave it. We try to act as responsibly as we can.

Bryn G

Agent
I wonder if they'll release the 5th season along with the other 4, given it aired on a different network (CBS as opposed to NBC). The reason I ask is that I haven't seen the 5th season in syndication. That's the season where Larraby took over from the Chief (Ed Platt left the show) and Max and 99 were married.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Actually, in the 5th season, Larraby never took over for the Chief. Ed Platt stayed on the show the entire run, 1965 to 1970. Max and 99 did have twins. The entire series was run, all 5 seasons on syndication on a local San Francisco station in 1986 through 1988 or so where it looked like they had some clean prints and they seemed to be intact, no cuts. They even showed "Mr. Big", the black and white pilot. Max drove a Maserati in the openning credits on that one.

There's also a great book out several years ago on Get Smart with episode guides and behind the scenes stuff and actor interviews and profiles. I'm sure it's OOP now. Can't recall the author's name right now. Joey something I think.

David, that was a great summation on your sources, sounds great!

Nelson

edit: Found the book by Joey Green, The Get Smart Handbook, if anyone's interested.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
but we ask ourselves "is this something that helps fans to know about at this time?" If not, then we just leave it. We try to act as responsibly as we can.
Says it all for me :emoji_thumbsup: , particularly the disclaimer regarding un-comfirmed rumors. I'm one TV/DVD fanatic that appreciates these news bits :D
"Keep up the GREAT site, Gord, Dave. Dave: Ever consider being a lawyer?" Great post :)

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Dave, thanks for that answer. If these are indeed whispers from reliable sources, then by all means they merit inclusion on the site. And by this time I'm sure you guys know who the credible sources are so that's great that you can get advance word out like that.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Dave: Ever consider being a lawyer?"
I actually was intending to do just that when I initially went to college, until I realized it wouldn't have made me happy in life, so I turned to other pursuits (notably computers).

Mark, you're welcome! I'm gratified that we're trusted by our readers AND by the people who make the DVDs.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Great news. Thanks Dave.

Vey excited. As a 6-year-old, Get Smart was my favourite show. I remember walking down the aisle between the tennis courts at school during break time imagining I was Max walking down the corridor of doors. The great thing is, unlike pretty much everything else I loved when I was 6, Get Smart is still a great and funny show. Looking forward to picking it up.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Max!! That's WONDERFUL news! How much is this going to cost for a season?

$20

[disbelieving look]

Yes, well. Would you believe, $30?

Oh Maxxxx...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
When do we get to see the .......CLAW!!!!

THE CLAW?

NO NO NO it's the CRAW!

THE CRAW?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
EDIT: subsequent to the original posting below, Dave Lambert asked Warners about this and found that Warners does NOT have rights to Get Smart!

Steve

Deleted original post indicating that some sources pointed to Warners having rights to Get Smart! Hopefully the ownership issue will get resolved soon.

Steve

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
This might be something that should be asked about. If Warner Brothers does own this, you would think with the way they are releasing things that they would have released it by now.

Paul

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Warner Bros. did an excellent job releasing all 5 of Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry movies in one box set. There is no reason they can't do the same for a TV series, such as Get Smart!

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Isn't there an online chat with the heads of Warner Brothers scheduled sometime in the near future? Can't someone ask them if they own the rights to Get Smart and if they do, whether they plan to release the show anytime soon?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Warner bought the rights to Get Smart to make the movie in development with Steve Carrell. It's possible that home video rights to the series were included in a deal.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
See, this is how misinformation gets spread. Warners may have licensed the rights to the characters or the property, which may have come from Buck Henry the creator himself. However a quick glance at Paramount's website shows that they are still offering the show in syndication. Now it's unclear if even they have ownership of the show itself as they didn't produce it. They just acquired it in the many mergers that took place. It's one thing to have the syndication rights to a show but that doesn't necessarily mean complete ownership which is a much grayer area. Get Smart was produced by David Susskind's Talent Associates and is still listed under their copyright. So it's quite possible that any DVD deal would have to be negotiated by his estate rather than Paramount.

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator
"See, this is how misinformation gets spread. Warners may have licensed the rights to the characters or the property, which may have come from Buck Henry the creator himself. However a quick glance at Paramount's website shows that they are still offering the show in syndication. Now it's unclear if even they have ownership of the show itself as they didn't produce it. They just acquired it in the many mergers that took place. It's one thing to have the syndication rights to a show but that doesn't necessarily mean complete ownership which is a much grayer area. Get Smart was produced by David Susskind's Talent Associates and is still listed under their copyright. So it's quite possible that any DVD deal would have to be negotiated by his estate rather than Paramount."

Would you believe digitally remastered, uncut versions of all episodes to be in the public domain? I guess not

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks