What's new

Genesis on SACD soon (2 Viewers)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
a whole concert with Bruford on drums for '76, not just a couple of bonus tracks.

An abbreviated version from this stint was also recording for video and shown on 'Night Flight'.
It was shown on TV in the UK in 1978, I believe that the title was simply "Genesis In Concert".

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Excellent! Lamb is the first album that was announced for both formats in which I will totally jump on both, as opposed to choosing one over the other.

And to prepare us for the dual releases, a three-page investigation thread on which is more "pure" and involves less coversion.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The film in question is "Genesis: A Band in Concert", and for some reason the G-men are not very interested in seeing it released. Same with the rumored footage from the Lamb tour supposedly in Peter Gabriel's posession (he suposedly has about 30 minutes' worth of material from several different shows). I swear, I've never seen a band less eager to capitalize on their music than this one.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I swear, I've never seen a band less eager to capitalize on their music than this one.
I agree! As Genesis fans know, the band released *lots* of video concerts over the years (usually 30 minute highlights of concert tours). Why on Earth they couldn't release these is beyond me. If they're slightly dodgy quality picture-wise, what does it matter? Only fans are likely to buy the discs, and fans are very forgiving of picture and sound quality when it's what might be termed archival material (e.g. consider the usually dreadful quality of bootlegs, but fans buy them).

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The discs will almost certainly be DVD-A in the United States as Atlantic/Atco are Warner labels.

Overseas, who can tell. Maybe SACD, maybe both. SACD-only buyers should not have a hard time obtaining imports.

I'll buy anything from 'Nursery Cryme' to 'Three Sides Live'. I am a bit surprised they are doing 'Lamb' first, as it is actually less accessible than 'Foxtrot' or 'Selling England'. Well, at least the second disc is. :)

I'll likely not buy 'Invisible Touch' as I don't care for the more poppish stuff.

Here is a petition to get the 1976 concert expanded and released on DVD. The director has the original film from multiple cameras from all three concerts...filmed in their entirity!

http://www.petitiononline.com/g1976dvd/petition.html

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I vote for "A Trick of the Tail". This was ment for hi-res 5.1. Hopefully in DVD-A as that's all I'm buying for now. Anyway, I hope more titles are in the works, regardless of format. gene

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
On the Genesis forum, Nick Davis mentioned "the band" has decided to remix the albums in hi-rez. I wonder who is "the band"? Will PG or Steve be involved with the earlier Genesis hi-rez surround remixing?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Latest update from Genesis' website...."The Lamb" on hi-rez is set for an "early summer 2004" release. No news on which format though.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
1) Even the stereo version is a remix. Probably the Redbook layer as well.
2) The North American release will almost certainly be DVD-A. The Euro release will be SACD.
3) I'm buying. And if the SACD in Europe comes out first, I'll import.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm....looks like "Invisible Touch" will not make it to SACD/DVD-A anytime soon, according to Genesis engineer Nick Davis. Posted on the Genesis forum on November 8th....

as far as i know there will be dvda releases of the sacd material

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I think all the talk about Invisible touch was about the just released DVD of the Invisible Touch tour. I think the plan all along was to release the Gabriel & Hacket era stuff first.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Don't know what's the indication about this, but on Nick Davis' own website, in his "Credits" section, Genesis' "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" is only listed as a SACD. No DVD-A listing. Hmmmmm....

BTW, the work on the multi-channel version of "Tricks of the Tail" is in progress.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Atco/Atlantic are Warner labels. The discs will either come out on DVD-A here (hopefully with rare video footage), or we'll be importing SACDs.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
So do I get the right vibe from the quotes that these re-masters will be encoded with DSD and then the DVD-Audio discs will be DSD to PCM conversions?

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks