What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Ridley Scott’s 1991 classic Thelma & Louise arrives on 4K UHD in a terrific collector’s edition from The Criterion Collection.

Thelma & Louise (1991)

Released: 24 May 1991
Rated: R
Runtime: 130 min

Director: Ridley Scott
Genre: Adventure, Crime, Drama

Cast: Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, Harvey Keitel
Writer(s): Callie Khouri

Plot: Two best friends set out on an adventure, but it soon turns around to a terrifying escape from being hunted by the police, as these two girls escape for the crimes they committed.

IMDB rating: 7.5
MetaScore: 88

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By: Criterion Collection
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.39.1...

Continue reading...

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Looks good. Thanks, Todd. Will eventually add this one to my collection.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
My disc from Best Buy feeezes just after they travel throught Monument valley at night. Otherwise disc looks great.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My disc from Best Buy feeezes just after they travel throught Monument valley at night. Otherwise disc looks great.

Have you tried wiping the disc's data side -- from the center out -- with a microfiber cloth?

UHDs seem to be very sensitive to minor specks. An awful lot of time I'll put a new disc, right out of the case, into the player. The movie plays for a reasonable amount of time, and then hangs. I'll pop the disc out, and the surface looks flawless. But I still wipe it with a microfiber cloth, after which is plays perfectly. Within the last week I had this problem with Criterion's (it's not always Criterion) UHD of Mildred Pierce.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m going to say it. This is simply a GREAT movie.

I, for one, was never the least bit bothered by the depiction of men. The reality is, men tend to be idiotic assholes as often as not.

Last edited:

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Have you tried wiping the disc's data side -- from the center out -- with a microfiber cloth?

UHDs seem to be very sensitive to minor specks. An awful lot of time I'll put a new disc, right out of the case, into the player. The movie plays for a reasonable amount of time, and then hangs. I'll pop the disc out, and the surface looks flawless. But I still wipe it with a microfiber cloth, after which is plays perfectly. Within the last week I had this problem with Criterion's (it's not always Criterion) UHD of Mildred Pierce.
Wiped the disc. Works like a charm Thanks

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I think he was asking when the 50% off sale at criterion.com usually starts, not B&N.

Well, maybe, but he quoted a post talking about Amazon price matching B&N during this month's sale.

In any case, is buying at 50% off at criterion.com more appealing than buying at 50% off at B&N or Amazon?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, maybe, but he quoted a post talking about Amazon price matching B&N during this month's sale.

In any case, is buying at 50% off at criterion.com more appealing than buying at 50% off at B&N or Amazon?
If you have Criterion points/gift codes then the answer is a big "yes." ;)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Was it just me, or was the audio track on the 4K at a really low level? I had to crank up the volume: Ordinarily, my setting is 50, but had to turn this one up to 80, and even that seemed a little quiet. At least the menu audio was at normal levels, so it could blast out my eardrums when the disc returned to it after the feature was over :emoji_astonished:.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Will the titles being released this month (e.g. After Hours) also be included in the sale? Still seeing $35 at Amazon...

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Will the titles being released this month (e.g. After Hours) also be included in the sale? Still seeing $35 at Amazon...

Typically, the Barnes & Noble sale applies to any Critetion titles scheduled for release before the end of the sale period. A preorder for something that streets in late July should be covered, but one for something that streets in August would not.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It probably doesn't happen all the time, but Amazon usually price matches in stock items only. Meaning they will match B&N if B&N has the item in stock, In addition, Amazon is not price matching all Criterions available in stock at B&N though they continue to add items. Not sure why or if they price match items when customers call CS for a price match. Not sure if that is still a thing as it was back in the day.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
If we're nitpicking and pixel peeping, the just released Capelight UHD in Germany, has better encoding/compression.
See - for example - in the first comparison the wall on the upper left of Susan Sarandon:
https://slow.pics/c/k3vV6meB

I'll buy this one, although to tell you the truth I preferred the Criterion cover, even if it isn't the original film poster.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
How does the slow.pic comparison work? What input does it require to alternate the two images?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
How does the slow.pic comparison work? What input does it require to alternate the two images?
You toggle between the 2 images either by left click on your mouse, or with left and right arrow on your keyboard.
With the up and down arrow you toggle between different screenshots comparisons.
In that link there are 15 different comparisons.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
You toggle between the 2 images either by left click on your mouse, or with left and right arrow on your keyboard.
With the up and down arrow you toggle between different screenshots comparisons.
In that link there are 15 different comparisons.
Got it, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallett17
Recent bookmarks