What's new

Genesis on SACD soon (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I assume these visuals are only when playing the album on the dvd vs the sacd disc.
Yes. Sorry, should have said that. I've got a system that plays both SACD and DVD, but I've largely only used the DVD because it has all the extras.

Not sure that I totally agree with Craig re: the surrounds only being used for ambience - there are some instruments and vocals placed at the rear. However, it's not out and out surround as e.g. the 5.1 mix of Tubular Bells.

I think the perennial problem with 5.1 is that because it opens up so many more possibilities than stereo (and let's face it, there are enough with that format) inevitably whatever someone does it won't suit all. Too aggressive a mix and it sounds as gimicky as early stereo 'ping pong' demonstration records. Too much towards the ambience and you can legitimately ask if it's any advance on high quality stereo. Personally, what I think has been done is good and they are albums I'll play repeatedly, but I won't be ditching my mini lp stereo discs. But then again, I'm a Genesis fan.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
For those of you that ordered via CD Universe (as did I, but the single disc versions), do you think I expect to receive mine before 4/17?

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Got my box set from HMV Saturday. Abacab and Duke SACD sound great, also played some of the Trick dvd which also sounds very clear, didn't compare with the SACD disc yet.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
For those of you that ordered via CD Universe (as did I, but the single disc versions), do you think I expect to receive mine before 4/17?
I just got a status e-mail from CDU on my box set order, and it looks like they expect to ship about the 16th. So, no, I wouldn't count on them arriving before the 17th.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
Well unfortunately the band did not use the best sources out there. A few people I know who are big time bootleg traders got their copies of the box set and the stuff that they traded (or made themselves) is of better quality. The fan groups out there did a lot of work and got lucky finding master tapes of many of the programs on there. The Lyceum show is out there available for trade from the master tape, and the copy on the DVD is not, it is of lesser quality. I have yet to see any screen shots for comparison but it would be nice to see for myself.

I think the dates for the US releases are in May as opposed to April as well.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
does anyone know what extra features are going to be on the DVD of Abacab and Duke besides the 5.1 remasters? Of the first US batch, those are the ones I most am anticipating (ok, I'll go ahead and shoot my own foot here, I love the "pop/rock" Genesis that most people cringe at the thought of)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
All have new interviews about the reissue and tour programs.

Duke: Videos for Duchess, Misunderstanding and Turn It On Again. Live at the Lyceum concert video.

Abacab: Videos for Abacab, No Reply At All, Keep It Dark and Man On The Corner.

Jason

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
thanks man, the concert for Duke sounds great! I love the early eighties Genesis, they had their moments afterwards, but they got too AC when it became too Phil-solo oriented, yet I really loved how much they rocked during this period.

Joe Valha

Stunt Coordinator
On Friday I got what I ordered from Elusive Disk:

Duke
Trick of the Tail
And then there were Three

SACDs and NTSC DVDs in DTS

Listened to all of them multiple times and they are awesome! Phil's voice sounds outstanding. Trick of the Tail is my favorite so far. Great surround sound without many gimmicks. Just outstanding sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks