What's new

Genesis on SACD soon (2 Viewers)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I got Duke, Abacab and ...And Then There Were Three last night from CD Universe. They are the Hong Kong versions: Hybrid CD/SACDs (stereo and MC mixes), DD 5.1 (24/48), DTS 5.1 (24/96) and NTSC for the videos. Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to check them out (what I was able to check out sounded excellent), but will do so tonight!!! :D

Given the sound on these discs, I'm particularly curious to hear how good newer recordings like Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance will sound!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Some first impressions after sitting down with Duke, Abacab and ...And Then There Were Three: I really wish Phil Collins' drums were featured a little more prominently in the mix. To me, all of the other instruments sounds great; crisp and clearly presented. I just think the drums could have used a little more "umph."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would like to kn ow when the first set of these will be for sale at the usual
places like best buy, CC, amazon etc, not as imports and not for $300+

hmv has it sometimes but you have to check nearly all the time.

oddly part of the description translates to...

"Dispatch possible time: Limitation board complete sale
Because of the limited board we have sold completely. There is no excuse, but you cannot order."

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ugh. . .I think I may just save myself the agita and $$$ and live with Rhino's DTS DVD editions instead of the SACDs.

Hm. . .Amazon is listing this at $117 with Hybrid SACDs. I wonder whether that's a mistake.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
According to an EMI press release (Germany), the release was now rescheduled (originally June/July)
- the set will be released in September 2007.

Genesis (1983)
Invisible Touch (1986)
We Can't Dance (1991)
Calling All Stations(1997)

Third set was due December but suspect it will be pushed back as well.
Trespass (1970)
Nursery Cryme (1971)
Foxtrot (1972)
Selling England By The Pound (1973)
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (1974)

I bought the first Box set from hmv.co.jp and have not been impressed with anything but the surround mix. Everything is remastered 'hot' like everything else these days. No dynamic range and it is all 'in your face'.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'll grab the self-titled CD+dvd album in the next batch, but everything after that is just too pop-ey for me (even the s/t album is kind of pushing my limits but I really want to hear "Momma", "Home By the Sea" and the last track in surround form).

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'll admit I've never listened to that album, but to be honest I didn't know it even existed until this remastering campaign first started being discussed last year. And I remember in particular when someone mentioned on another forum that ticket sales for the tour for that album were so lacking they had to cancel the rest of the tour. :frowning:

Anyone know why they scheduled the first set of albums to be released last? I've just started getting into those albums when I found a beat-up vinyl copy of Trespass last year and eventually got hold of the CD version (a next door neighbor in a college dorm used to play Lamb.... a lot and I always enjoyed listening to it, but at the time I was drifting away from prog rock - the Moodys rool! :D - and into more punk-ish and alternative material).

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I think people are way too harsh on "Invisible Touch", I am a child of the 1980's, I grew up with MTV, Invisible Touch is loaded with tracks that take me back to those years, hell even my mother liked that album (of course, she was the target Phil Collins solo/Lionel Richie type of demographic). I guess if I grew up on 70's Genesis, I would've hated it but with my age group, I was so young at the time that I had no idea Phil Collins was the member of a rock band until the Invisible Touch video was on MTV (and at that age, I also didn't know "that guy with that cool Sledgehammer video" was a member too)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
There is also a rumour that Gabriel is willing to do a Lamb tour in 2008, so it would coincide with that tour. Don't know how serious that rumour is, but I wouldn't rule it out entirely as the other four are keen to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks