What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (3 Viewers)

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Ejanss said:
Except that the word choice implies that any movie that even remotely touches on gay content for whatever passing reason--whether flat-out director intent, or simply referencing that a character is, or mentioning it in the story, or could even be "subtext" twisted a certain way in certain analyses if you wanted to play biased spin-doctor--is now the gays' FRIEND, of course...
... which is only an issue for people person who wants to make one of it. The rest of us read the brief description in the original post and "got it".

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/323466/gay-friendly-blu-rays/90#post_4007517
Nightmare 2 is gay?! Sure, Jesse has 'something' inside of him that's trying to get out, he wanders into a gay S&M bar and he runs away from making out with his girlfriend to see his shirtless, well-built best friend who is asleep in bed but I don't see how any of that makes it-- oh wait, I think I figured it out.

This was a very formative movie for me on first viewing back in college pre-coming out. You make me want to watch it tonight!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
So is "friendly" the sticking point?
There's nothing to "out" in movies - the content is in the material, we aren't adjusting that by discussing it here, so what is your beef? Sounds like you have issues with things that aren't in play here and perhaps you lack the proper place to vent yourself so you come and dump it all here.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jason_V said:
So you're saying gays secretly want to be straight?
No, saying that gays seem to have a preoccupation with telling the world that it's not just them, there're really hundreds and thousands and millions out there who probably are, they just either haven't said so yet or just secretly don't want to admit it, 'cause they're too repressed! Um, what if it IS just you?...Just sayin' "if".
TravisR said:
Nightmare 2 is gay?! Sure, Jesse has 'something' inside of him that's trying to get out, he wanders into a gay S&M bar and he runs away from making out with his girlfriend to see his shirtless, well-built best friend who is asleep in bed but I don't see how any of that makes it-- oh wait, I think I figured it out. :)
And then somebody tries to bring up "Lost Boys", and Jason Patric's girlfriend trying to pull him out of a troubled relationship with vampire Kiefer Sutherland, except that...we didn't notice it was from director Joel Schumacher at the time. Umm, yeah, okay, that would explain a few things. ;)
(Joel's definitely a case of "With friends like these...")
Nightmare 2 may have just been an unfortunate accident (no one ever looked askance at Nightmare 3) but the whole troubled-locker-room subplots just fall into the same category as Victor Salva's "Powder", with our Tim Burton-esque sensitive misunderstood corpse-white hero alone in a world of shirtless jocks, and...then it comes out in the press that director Salva was previously Elmo-busted for sex with a minor. O-kayy, think our guesses weren't too far off on that one. :rolleyes:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Eric, your posts are off-topic and getting really tiresome. Please take it somewhere else so this thread can live in peace.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Ejanss said:
No, saying that gays seem to have a preoccupation with telling the world that it's not just them, there're really hundreds and thousands and millions out there who probably are, they just either haven't said so yet or just secretly don't want to admit it, 'cause they're too repressed!
Yeah, being a persecuted minority that's been forced, for generations, to live a marginalized, secret life will sometimes do that to you.
Meanwhile, we all have our preoccupations. What's with your preoccupation with this one?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
What is going on here?
Why are we straying into discussions that obviously
don't belong on a forum like this?

The topic here is Gay-Friendly Blu-rays. I don't know
why we are even straying off of topic into discussion
that is offensive to many who participate here.

Consider this a warning as I begin locking people out
of this thread.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I'm hoping we get Victor/Victoria on blu-ray before long...it was quite progressive and holds up well. I find most mainstream films featuring gay characters to be disappointing. Smaller, independent films do much better...Longtime Companion, Shelter, Beautiful Thing, Maurice, C.R.A.Z.Y., L.I.E, Latter Days, Prayers for Bobby are titles I'd pick up.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mikey1969,
Victor/Victoria: I bought a second copy of the DVD before it went OOP/ MOD-only by Warner Bros.
The DVD also features a great commentary track by Blake Edwards and Julie Andrews, which included fun tidbits
about the small part their son plays in the film and how Robert Preston had no reservations about playing Toddy.
I am hoping with Warners new business model of pressed BDs in their Warners Archive collection that this might mean Victor/Victoria gets released on BD.
I always watch V/V during it the winter since it is snowing in Paris in the film.
The music by Henry Mancini and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse are up there with the other Leslie Bricusse film I watch during this season: Scrooge
There is a BD available of the V/V 1995 Broadway stage version.
It is nice a enough curiosity and entertaining in its own right, but is entirely a different beast than the film.
The best things are the additional musical numbers, but the show is stolen by the Norma Cassady character:
http://www.amazon.com/Victor-Victoria-Broadway-Production-Blu-ray/dp/B003HTPI08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354317919&sr=8-1&keywords=victor+victoria+blu-ray
The Blu-ray for Latter Days is nice step up from the DVD and has been available for many months:
http://www.amazon.com/Latter-Days-Blu-ray-Steve-Sandvoss/dp/B0055HOIMY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1354317124&sr=1-1&keywords=latter+days

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mark Walker /t/323466/gay-friendly-blu-rays/90#post_4007754
I am hoping with Warners new business model of pressed BDs in their Warners Archive collection that this might mean Victor/Victoria gets released on BD.

I stated the same hope in the Warner Archive/Blu-ray thread. My heart originally sank when I saw that V/V had been relegated to the Archive, but that is no longer the kiss of Blu-ray death for the films that are now housed there. I would think now that it would be a prime candidate for Blu-ray. I certainly hope their initial efforts sell well which will green light additional Blu-ray offerings from the Archive.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just received my copies of Deathtrap and Gypsy. It's going to be a busy weekend.

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
Ronald Epstein said:
What is going on here?
Why are we straying into discussions that obviously
don't belong on a forum like this?
The topic here is Gay-Friendly Blu-rays.  I don't know
why we are even straying off of topic into discussion 
that is offensive to many who participate here.
Consider this a warning as I begin locking people out
of this thread.  
Ronald - what is a "gay friendly Blu-ray"?
I ask this out of curiosity, as by its very nature this thread is offensive.
Humour me:
What if it were a "Jew friendly blu-ray" thread?
What if it were a "Muslim friendly blu-ray" thread?
Over the weeks/months, I have read this thread with some amusement - until it turned just a wee bit nasty.
However, with the benefit of hindsight, a thread like this was always going to turn nasty and probably should have been pulled Day 1.
In these days of political correctness, we tread very carefully.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mark Walker said:
This is an upgraded version of the long, previous thread from the DVD section which has been quiet for some time.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/17433/gay-friendly-dvds-version-5/840
There are enough films and programs available now on Blu-ray, that a thread covering films or shows with gay text, subtext, or other elements that are of particular interest to LGBT folks should have a handy all-in-one reference thread, even if it often refers to other topics at the Home Theater Forum.
This is the first post of the thread. It should answer questions about its purpose.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
By the way, TLAGay.com is having a sale through midnight tonight. Buy 3 items, get 20 percent off, buy 4 items get 25 percent off. Gay cinema, adult titles, books, etc. included.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
You know, an alternative for those who find this thread "offensive" is to not read it, pass it by, leave it to those who find it interesting to discuss a subtext they might have missed when they watched a movie, as I did when I first saw BELL, BOOK, AND CANDLE, or when I did not understand the sequence of the sailors going to the bathhouse in Don Siegel's THE LINEUP until I saw it again as adult . . . hopefully there will not be a need to pull it.

Trentrunner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trent Mumford
For those confused about how a "straight" movie can be "gay," I refer you to the very compelling documentary, The Celluloid Closet. It also answers the question as to what's unique about gay cultural history that might require coded characters and narratives in a way that other marginalized peoples' histories might not. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
RobHam said:
I ask this out of curiosity, as by its very nature this thread is offensive.
I'm not going to tell anyone what to be offended by but I'd find this thread offensive if it was the only place where you were allowed to talk about gay themes in movies and that's not the case. Personally, I'm of the mind that people should embrace their similarities rather than highlighting their differences but I assume that many people in a 'minority' want to celebrate and talk about their cultural identity and if that's the case, they should have at it.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
It would be unfortunate if it was seen as necessary to pull this thread. Perhaps the title "gay friendly" is not the best, but there should be a space where ratiinal adults can discuss mainstream movies with LGBT themes, characters or subtexts without people imposing their own religious or moral beliefs on us.
Getting back on topic, I'd also like to see the Celuloid Closet on blu with the special features of the DVD ported over. It's an interesting look at how mainstream films have dealt with gay characters over the years.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mikey1969 said:
Getting back on topic, I'd also like to see the Celuloid Closet on blu with the special features of the DVD ported over. It's an interesting look at how mainstream films have dealt with gay characters over the years.
Obviously the film clips would benefit on Blu (as they could always reassemble the clips from better elements like they did for "That's Entertainment") but I think most of the interview footage was probably standard definition video. So it's probably not the best candidate of an upgrade to Blu-ray.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I'm not sure about LGBT people wanting to "celebrate" our differences; I'd just like to see something of our lives reflected in films; straight people.take this for granted; when we see nothing of ourselves or even worse, negative and stereotyped portrayals, it's deflating to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks