What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
schan1269 said:
Don't know where you are...but myself, and the people I know....
Metrosexual has nothing to do with sexual orientation.
Matter of fact, I dated a woman(born as) who lived her life gender queer and metrosexual. Seriously...people at times were confused if I was with a man or woman. But always, always dressed to the 9's and looking clean and put together
Well, that was my point: Metro never had anything to do with gender or gender ambiguity, and, unlike most people believe, it never meant "Androgynous" or "Cross-fashionable", or whatever the above story was meant to define. (Haven't a clue, myself. :confused: )
It was simply a way of reducing easy public stereotypes before they got out of hand and caused real damage: "Shuddup, I'm smart, I'm neat, and I'm married! In fact, that's the way she likes it, so there!" :D
If we now have a confusion of dictionary definitions...well, anyone want to theorize how exactly THAT happened, all of a sudden? What's the matter, did we come up with a new trendy word that didn't happen to cutely market gays' own self-image in the public mind, and left them out?--Well, have to fix that! For a while, there, we were almost talking about something else! :rolleyes:
And as for "why can't we just talk about movies"...well, why CAN'T we?
Do dog lovers make self-marketing stereotypes about who owns a Pekingese and who owns a Labrador?--Or is having a hobby something that everyone in the world has, which means deep down you might probably secretly be a plain old boring Everybody?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I don't understand why we need a thread about Blu-rays that had their prices just drop. It takes those films away from the folks that paid more for them.:rolleyes:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
What is the whole hullabaloo about now? I'm confused.

Is the conversation about saying some movies are gay friendly and others aren't? Is it "gay friendly"--that's entirely relevant since some movies clearly are not. Are we arguing over the use of the word "gay" which has changed over the years? Maybe something about dictionary definitions and boxes...I'm lost.

I don't think anyone has tried to claim ownership of anything here. If anything, different items from various movies are being mentioned in a gay context. It would be the same thing if another minority said they saw a parallel to their non-white, non-female, non-factory worker lives in Norma Rae. Or if a non-African American identified with a Tyler Perry movie and said so.

We all see different things in movies and they can be discussed here, Eric. Please explain what the entire problem is here to me. One or two sentences will do.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I don't understand why folks need a "Blu-Ray Custom Cover art" thread.
Why can't they just post that custom cover as a post in the thread for each movie?.
It takes the films away from everyone who doesn't want a custom cover made for that movie!:rolleyes:

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I find his persistent stereotyping of the gay community and his petty generalizations offensive. I enjoy perusing this thread and, as a straight man, utterly not offended by its purpose, existence or run.

Prince Karthic

Auditioning
Real Name
theprince
In this world in which we live, celebrities, movies, Boost Your Bust magazines and men adore women with huge breast size. Those who are not blessed with large breasts feel less attractive and unattractive female that is why they want to enhance their breast size. Getting bigger breasts is not impossible, as there are plenty of ways to reduce the size of your breasts. The benefits of larger breasts can change your life in a positive way.
One of the advantages of larger breasts is to gain self confidence. To a happy and fulfilling life; women have high self-esteem and self-confidence. If the uncertainties and low self-esteem caused by the negative feelings caused by having small breasts, enhancing your breast size can boost your self confidence. A secure and confident woman is more likely to have a happy and fulfilling life.
As beautiful and attractive are two major advantages of larger breasts. Large breasts can better figure and shape. Curves in the right places to make every woman attractive and beautiful. Physically attractive and beautiful are two qualities that most women want. Although the overall personality of a person has a major role in being attractive, it can not be denied that breast size is important when it comes to physical appearance.
Having the freedom to do Superior Singing Method everything you want to wear is one of the advantages of larger breasts. Women with small breasts are reluctant and embarrassed to wear swimsuits and plunging necklines, because they lack the chest curves that look good on those kinds of clothes. Women with large breasts can wear swimsuits and sexy dress with low cut neckline without worry. Larger bust line can freedom in choosing and wearing all the clothes you want.
While increasing your breast size can positively change your life, you have the best breast enlargement method that will work for you choose. Surgery is a common way to enlarge breasts, but it is also accompanied by many risks. If you want to improve your breast size, it is best to explore on non-surgical methods to assess the risks and the high cost of surgery.
http://boostyourbustbookreviews.com/

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I guess I don't get how anything is being taken from you Eric? I don't think anything is being locked up in a gays-only vault, or getting a gays-only sticker on the box art to warn people...
I think that is the fundamental disconnect. If you have insecurities about how you are perceived based on your tastes, then I'm sorry but that is your issue.
If I might ask, what do you feel is appropriate to be discussed here?
I agree the title of this thread is unfortunate "gay-friendly" but I simply take it to mean a place to discuss films and television shows which have gay themes, characters or interest without getting attacked for it - as I believe was the case when Bell Book and Candle was being discussed in the review thread there.
It really shocked me how many people got SO defensive as if we were destroying their movie and they couldn't enjoy it if we put it through that prism.
I think you can see that your views or the way you are presenting them are not finding much support.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I agree, Moe re: title of the thread.
I, frankly, could not think of a more economical way to say:
"films that have gay themes, characters, text, subtext and/or gay-related behind-the-scenes stories, discussed in an accepting manner."
And "Gay-Friendly" had worked fine without incident in the DVD portion of this forum...call it a legacy title from the previous thread's starter.
While flawed, it says what the intent of the thread is in two words and covers all the bases of the longer title, albeit without including the now clearly needed,
"They're ours! Not Yours! No sharing! No broad appreciation allowed! All films are now mutually exclusive!"
It is too stupid to think about that kind of argument any further.
Moe Dickstein said:
I guess I don't get how anything is being taken from you Eric? I don't think anything is being locked up in a gays-only vault, or getting a gays-only sticker on the box art to warn people...
I think that is the fundamental disconnect. If you have insecurities about how you are perceived based on your tastes, then I'm sorry but that is your issue.
If I might ask, what do you feel is appropriate to be discussed here?
I agree the title of this thread is unfortunate "gay-friendly" but I simply take it to mean a place to discuss films and television shows which have gay themes, characters or interest without getting attacked for it - as I believe was the case when Bell Book and Candle was being discussed in the review thread there.
It really shocked me how many people got SO defensive as if we were destroying their movie and they couldn't enjoy it if we put it through that prism.
I think you can see that your views or the way you are presenting them are not finding much support.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Doctorossi said:
Do yourself a favor and just give the man a shot. Quantum of Solace, the least of the Craig films, is 1,000 times the movie Die Another Day is.
Lessee, I should watch a film built on a concept I don't like starring an actor I've already seen is a cipher in order to give that cipher "a shot".
Hm. . .
Nope, I've got better uses for two hours of my time.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Back on topic, Spartacus Blood and Sand and Vengeance showed up today (well, yesterday). Gods of the Arena will be here next week.
I'm going to try to slip in Sunday Bloody Sunday sometime this weekend (I picked it up from the Barnes and Noble sale).
Off-topic, right now, I'm getting my 60's TV fix by watching The Dick Van Dyke Show, 3.5 blu-rays to go, and I will have finished the series.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Kevin EK's review of ParaNoram can be found here
I agree with his review of the film, with the only difference being I found the reason for it being in this thread not out of step with the rest of the film which does weave more mature subject matter into it along with the more kid-friendly material than most films that look the way it does....much the way Will Vinton Studios had done from time to time before it became Laika.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
So will somebody explain why ParaNorman is a gay-friendly movie, or do I have to watch it to find out? Would letting us in on the secret constitute some major spoiler or something?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mark-P said:
So will somebody explain why ParaNorman is a gay-friendly movie, or do I have to watch it to find out? Would letting us in on the secret constitute some major spoiler or something?
Yes, that would be a spoiler, though not major, it is a good one to not be spoiled.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mark Walker said:
I agree, Moe re: title of the thread.
I, frankly, could not think of a more economical way to say:
"films that have gay themes, characters, text, subtext and/or gay-related behind-the-scenes stories, discussed in an accepting manner."
And "Gay-Friendly" had worked fine without incident in the DVD portion of this forum...call it a legacy title from the previous thread's starter.
It is too stupid to think about that kind of argument any further.
Except that the word choice implies that any movie that even remotely touches on gay content for whatever passing reason--whether flat-out director intent, or simply referencing that a character is, or mentioning it in the story, or could even be "subtext" twisted a certain way in certain analyses if you wanted to play biased spin-doctor--is now the gays' FRIEND, of course...
Which is exactly the kind of wishful presumption that turns straights off with a passion: The idea of "outing" movies the same as some leaning celeb magazines decide to "out" celebrities with a simple declaration just for the shock value or just plain wishful thinking. There's public resentment of gays toward straights, to be sure, and most of it comes out in the form of immature "Ha, betcha didn't know your beloved favorites were really on our side, didja?", as if their pirate treehouse club was bigger than ours, and therefore more important, with all the cool kids wishing to get in. And when it might not actually be, in the real world, that comes off a bit defensive and self-delusional.
(Which is one reason I also rankle that any complaint against the gay community is immediately labeled "homophobic", which implies the belief that straights are somehow secretly quaking in their boots for insecure fear of their own sense of identity--Like the AV geeks who say "Ha, they ph33r our Mad sKillz!" One generally doesn't fear wishful self-delusion, one's just desperately annoyed by it. Is there a word for "Homo-bugged", it would sound less contentious?)
It's just the idea of "We have so many FRIENDS!" Well, I suppose you might need all you can get, but just do a little detached double-checking on whether they actually are, first.
Steve Tannehill said:
Off-topic, right now, I'm getting my 60's TV fix by watching The Dick Van Dyke Show, 3.5 blu-rays to go, and I will have finished the series.
(Oh, if you're even SUGGESTING Rob & Laura, friend, have you got the wrong series...The most enthusiastically heterosexual couple on 60's television, short of Gomez & Morticia.) :P

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ejanss said:
/t/323466/gay-friendly-blu-rays/90#post_4007446
Which is exactly the kind of wishful presumption that turns straights off with a passion: The idea of "outing" movies the same as some leaning celeb magazines decide to "out" celebrities with a simple declaration just for the shock value or just plain wishful thinking. There's public resentment of gays toward straights, to be sure, and most of it comes out in the form of immature "Ha, betcha didn't know your beloved favorites were really on our side, didja?", as if their pirate treehouse club was bigger than ours, and therefore more important, with all the cool kids wishing to get in. And when it might not actually be, in the real world, that comes off a bit defensive and self-delusional.
So you're saying gays secretly want to be straight? Um...no. This is one gay man who has tried to lie about who he was. No, thank you. A majority of my family supports me, my partner's family supports me, my friends support me and my workplace supports me. The resentment, dear Eric, comes in when any group feels they are better than another and seek to withhold a right they have from another group. Knowing the long-standing rules about politics on the HTF and not wanting to run afoul of them, I think we can all read between the lines of what I mean.

It sounds like, in this thread, you are resenting the gay folks for seeing things and talking about them in movies which may not have been intended or you don't agree with.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm glad that the mere inclusion of a pseudo same-sex sex scene(rather attempted...) in a movie automatically makes it "just a gay movie".
So that means I can move Ken Park from my collection of "indictment of parental ineptitude" to simply "gay movie"...because the step father in a drunken stupor, fueled by "nobody likes my mysogynist tendencies" attempts to give a bj to his step-son...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
So, for instance, you would take umbridge with calling Nightmare on Elm Street 2 a gay movie, right?
Nightmare 2 is gay?! Sure, Jesse has 'something' inside of him that's trying to get out, he wanders into a gay S&M bar and he runs away from making out with his girlfriend to see his shirtless, well-built best friend who is asleep in bed but I don't see how any of that makes it-- oh wait, I think I figured it out. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks