What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
cinemiracle said:
Almost forgot the best of them all- GET REAL- another classic British gay film.

Mark Walker said:
Get Real, was released by Paramount in the USA with a non-anamorphic transfer, too. :(

I Blu-ray would be most welcome, but Paramount...not likely.

I have been toying with idea of buying the HD download on iTunes for $12.99. However I'm not sure if it is in the correct aspect ratio (Panavision 2.35:1) and there is no information about it anywhere that I can find.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I don't think I have the DVD cover since I started compacting my collection, but the Paramount DVD of Get Real looks ~2.35:1 to me from this screen grab.

20160109_224239-1_zps6xqb15rw.jpg

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Konstantinos,

Thanks for alerting us to this release. I just did a quick image compare on the Blu-ray to the USA DVD, released by Strand, and the Blu-ray is a significant improvement in resolution over the DVD, which I had forgot was a non-anamorphic transfer.

I also played the Blu-ray in two of my standard Zone A players, one Sony and one Panasonic, and it played just fine.

Thanks again.

Konstantinos said:
For anyone interested, I just realised that this film is available on Bluray in Australia:

93847_large.jpg

It's a 1998 film that I had watched once at the cinema at the time of release.

I think the imdb rating (6.6) is pretty accurate.

Nothing great, but nothing bad either.

The male star was quite handsome though!

Here's a review of the Bluray:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Head-On-Blu-ray/93847/#Review

Jason_V said:
I feel like I've seen Head On at some point, but I can't entirely place it. The screencaps look familiar, though. In all likelihood, I've seen it and nothing really made an impression on me...

Konstantinos said:
It's in Greek + English language.

maybe you remember that?

Well, the sex scenes had made an impression on me.

After all I was 18 at that time..

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Mark Walker said:
Konstantinos,

Thanks for alerting us to this release. I just did a quick image compare on the Blu-ray to the USA DVD, released by Strand, and the Blu-ray is a significant improvement in resolution over the DVD, which I had forgot was a non-anamorphic transfer.

I also played the Blu-ray in two of my standard Zone A players, one Sony and one Panasonic, and it played just fine.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. ;)

I may buy this at some point just for nostalgia reasons.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Steve Tannehill said:
Downton Abbey has a gay character who had his own subplot in Series 3 (available as a region B blu-ray in the UK, and set to air in the US in January). He is portrayed as a bastard, nonetheless a tormented soul who is easily misled (his gaydar does not function very well). As the show is set in the teens and twenties, being gay was punishable by prison time. Be thankful we live when we do
Why be thankful? Being gay is still punishable by death in many countries. It is not so long ago that two teenagers were hung in public in Iran.Their only crime was that they were gay.Seeing those photos bought tears to my eyes.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Have we talked yet about CAROL, in this thread? I preordered the Blu-ray a while back but there was no release date. Amazon just sent me an email that it will be delivered on February 2nd! I hope that is true and not just some glitch in their system.

91mJaaoIgIL._SL1500_.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mark-P said:
Have we talked yet about CAROL, in this thread? I preordered the Blu-ray a while back but there was no release date. Amazon just sent me an email that it will be delivered on February 2nd! I hope that is true and not just some glitch in their system.

I don't think we have talked about Carol here...I probably should have mentioned it when we saw it a few weeks ago. It was a slow burn for me, absolutely anchored by Cate Blanchett. Her poise, her gravitas, her grace under pressure through the film were remarkable. I understand she was playing a part, but very little actually phased her. I was somewhat less impressed with Rooney Mara; I've never taken a liking to her as an actress in any movie and that extends to Carol.

I started having a conversation about Kyle Chandler's character with a friend; we debated if he was abusive toward Carol or not. In some ways, I believe he was, but he was also a product of his family. Mom and Dad had an undue influence on him re: Carol. He knew all about her before they got married and he decided to marry anyway. I'm not excusing his behavior with the kids. It's just a facet of his being which has gotten glossed over.

As for the BD release...I have no idea. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jason_V said:
I don't think we have talked about Carol here...I probably should have mentioned it when we saw it a few weeks ago. It was a slow burn for me, absolutely anchored by Cate Blanchett. Her poise, her gravitas, her grace under pressure through the film were remarkable. I understand she was playing a part, but very little actually phased her. I was somewhat less impressed with Rooney Mara; I've never taken a liking to her as an actress in any movie and that extends to Carol.

I started having a conversation about Kyle Chandler's character with a friend; we debated if he was abusive toward Carol or not. In some ways, I believe he was, but he was also a product of his family. Mom and Dad had an undue influence on him re: Carol. He knew all about her before they got married and he decided to marry anyway. I'm not excusing his behavior with the kids. It's just a facet of his being which has gotten glossed over.
I think Chandler's character is also a product of his time so he's pissed because he feels that his manhood has been impugned by having his wife leave him for someone else and a woman at that. Like you, I'm not saying that excuses his behavior but I think it's why he's does some really horrible stuff.

Also, I know Blanchett is getting lots of praise and rightly so but I though Mara was very good as well.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Having someone leave you for any reason is very painful. I know people who are haunted by this sort of thing for years after the event and even feel that it ruined their lives.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Placed my order last night for EDGE OF SEVENTEEN (I had forgotten about it until I saw the DVDBeaver review!)

It's currently the #1 new release in LGBT films (though I'm not sure that's saying much....what else is out there right now?)

81a618Ho5jL._SX385_.jpg

It'll be fun visiting this one again (now bring on BEAUTIFUL THING!!)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
So, while not on blu-ray as of yet, I just watched the five-episode BBC series LONDON SPY over the weekend and what a wild ride it is! It stars Ben Whishaw as a London party boy who falls in love (for the first time) with a beautiful but socially awkward genius played by Edward Holcroft. I want to be careful to avoid spoilers but let's just say "all is not as it seems," as you might be able to guess from the title. When the boyfriend disappears, Whishaw is thrust into a nightmare of deep secrets, counter-espionage conspiracies, and murder. Whishaw is ably supported by British stalwarts Jim Broadbent, Harriet Walter, Adrian Lester, and the great Charlotte Rampling.

The good: A lot of fun in a twisty, unpredictable, "what's going to happen next?" kind of way. At its best, and most of it is quite good, IMO, it manages to invoke an overwhelming feeling of paranoiac dread that's reminiscent of a gay PARALLAX VIEW or THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR with a side of ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN thrown in for good measure. The production values are absolutely top notch and I found the performances to be universally excellent. In addition to the always compelling Whishaw, we get the previously mentioned Holcroft (cute as an upper class, public school douchebag in KINGSMAN but here, in a much more understated, sympathetic role, he's achingly beautiful), Broadbent (has he ever been bad?) in a wonderfully complex role as Whishaw's friend and mentor, and Rampling doing her patented (but no less than fabulous) dragon lady routine. There is nobody, and I mean NOBODY, who can do Dragon Lady as well as Rampling. Unexpected guest shots pop up, including James Fox and Mark Gatiss, who is about as far removed from Mycroft Holmes here as is possible to get. It's obvious that some real care went in to this.

The bad: As much "edge of your seat" fun as it is, the minute you step away from it (which I did between episodes three and four) and your head clears, you quickly realize that most of the plot (and the conceit at its heart) doesn't really hold up to any scrutiny. Your individual mileage and willing suspension of disbelief may vary but I was bothered by the absurdity of a main plot point and couldn't shake it (still can't.) That being said, I'd still recommend it as a great lark, if you don't mind your larks a bit on the dark side, that is. :P

It's airing in the US on BBC America starting January 21st but I imagine the episodes will be edited for content (being UK TV, there's frank dialogue, sex, a fair amount of booty shots, and an occasional testicle here and there) so you may want to seek out the episodes once they're released to home video.

Those watching London Spy, either on BBC America broadcast television or on BCCAmerica online, should know the show has been edited to remove most of the sex scene the lovers share. Aside from the annoyance of missing out on enjoying the supremely fit Edward Holcrof in all his glory, it does actually impact the story, as part of what makes Ben Whitshaw's character, Danny, so determined to get to the truth has to do with how Alex acted during sex with him. Danny (Whishaw) goes in detail about how the alleged facts are not matching his sexual experience with Alex and states, "You cannot fake that."

I have only watched the first two episodes, but I am already really glad Will posted about it to alert us. Now if there would only be a Blu-ray coming soon. (A UK DVD has a scheduled release date of mid June.)

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Those watching London Spy, either on BBC America broadcast television or on BCCAmerica online should know the show has been edited to remove most of the sex scene the lovers share. Aside from the annoyance of missing out on enjoying the supremely fit Edward Holcrof in all his glory, it does actually impact the story, as part of what makes Ben Whitshaw's character, Danny, so determined to get to the truth has to do with how Alex acted during sex with him. Danny (Whishaw) goes in detail about the alleged facts are not matching his sexual experience with Alex and how "You cannot fake that."

I have only watched the first two episodes, but I am already really glad Will posted about it to alert us. Now if there would only be a Blu-ray coming soon. (A UK DVD has a scheduled release date of mid June.)

I am watching it on BBC America (am really fascinated by what's been shown thus far) and hope, like you, there is a Blu-ray somewhere in our futures.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Was Ben Whishaw allowed to keep the line, "I didn't read many books, I didn't go to many places, but I fucked a lot of people." ??

I ask because it's a powerful moment and it's the first time he really gains the upper hand with his situation, albeit momentarily.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Those watching London Spy, either on BBC America broadcast television or on BCCAmerica online should know the show has been edited to remove most of the sex scene the lovers share. Aside from the annoyance of missing out on enjoying the supremely fit Edward Holcrof in all his glory, it does actually impact the story, as part of what makes Ben Whitshaw's character, Danny, so determined to get to the truth has to do with how Alex acted during sex with him. Danny (Whishaw) goes in detail about the alleged facts are not matching his sexual experience with Alex and how "You cannot fake that."

That is sad. DVRd them, but haven't watched yet. Always thought BBC was a bit more realistic than US channels, but apparently edited just like what we get. Guess I'll be waiting for the DVD.

Does BBC show full episodes? Or is it just BBCA that edits.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Placed my order last night for EDGE OF SEVENTEEN (I had forgotten about it until I saw the DVDBeaver review!)

It's currently the #1 new release in LGBT films (though I'm not sure that's saying much....what else is out there right now?)

81a618Ho5jL._SX385_.jpg

It'll be fun visiting this one again (now bring on BEAUTIFUL THING!!)

Just finished watching the Blu-ray! (The cool thing about BestBuy was that even with free standard shipping, they made sure I had it on release day.)

The deleted scenes are a real treat, even though they are from a VHS master. Watching them informs some other parts of the film. The fantasy sequence with Rod in the kitchen is awful, so I am glad that was never in the film. One funny thing is that it is just like watching a VHS tape, and when there is a tracking issue in the extended cut of the bowling scene, for a micro-second I wanted to get up and check my VCR, which does not exist anymore. ;)

The interview with the writer and director is 47 minutes long, so I will have to watch that later, but it is great they got them back for this interview, which is brand new.

Yep, the film looks great and now feels more authentic as a period piece of the 80s. I think I like this film now more than ever.

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks