What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just click on the "+" icon (located in-between the film strip icon and camera icon above the edit box).

You get a drop-down menu. Click "Spoiler" and insert any text you want hidden between the resulting brackets.You can ignore (or fill) the in-between pop-up box that asks if you want a title for your spoiler.

Just click "Continue" to see the "spoiler" code appear in your edit box.

It's pretty "old school."

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Those watching London Spy, either on BBC America broadcast television or on BCCAmerica online, should know the show has been edited to remove most of the sex scene the lovers share. Aside from the annoyance of missing out on enjoying the supremely fit Edward Holcrof in all his glory, it does actually impact the story, as part of what makes Ben Whitshaw's character, Danny, so determined to get to the truth has to do with how Alex acted during sex with him. Danny (Whishaw) goes in detail about how the alleged facts are not matching his sexual experience with Alex and states, "You cannot fake that."

I have only watched the first two episodes, but I am already really glad Will posted about it to alert us. Now if there would only be a Blu-ray coming soon. (A UK DVD has a scheduled release date of mid June.)

Does anyone know what was deleted from the US version? Total length of the 5 episodes are said to be 289 minutes.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I wonder what label should I ask/"bug" for getting the rights to release the Greek film Cavafy (1996) about the great Greek gay poet Kavafis.
It is quite atmospheric with a very good Vangelis (Blade Runner, Chariots of Fire, 1492) score.
The unusual and original thing about this film that I had never encountered is that the protagonist isn't seen speaking at all during the movie, but we only hear his voice reciting poems.

synopsis from TCM:
"A poetic meditation centering on the life of Greek poet C.P. Cavafy (1863-1933). Cavafy narrates the film from his deathbed, relating his childhood in Alexandria, his youth in Constantinople where he discovered his sexuality, and his career writing about beautiful young men."

After Olive releasing Iphigenia maybe there would be a chance for another Greek film.

Here's a trailer:

and here's a scene that was stuck on me when I first saw it in my teens:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just pre-ordered The Sum of Us from BestBuy.com for $19.99, which is $8.00 cheaper than Amazon currently lists. (Last time I ordered from BestBuy, Amazon's price eventually came down to match BestBuy's.) along with Eisenstein In Guanajuato (only available on DVD) for $17.99, which is $10 less than it is currently listed on Amazon.com.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
You should like it Mark. It's an excellent film. Highly recommended.
I just have a few minutes tonight, but I realize I haven't posted since I watched Holding The Man a couple of weeks ago.
57b4cb90704b22414386ef457361dc330009-1.jpg

Here is my one minute summary:
The Blu-ray is region B locked, contains the film at an AR of ~ 2.35:1, and includes a set of featurettes and a commentary track with the director, playwriter/screenwriter, and producer.

The film, based on the book by Tim Conigrave, is his story of his true life love story with John Caleo. They met in high school when one was an aspiring actor and the other was a leader on the football team.

The film starts in the early 1990s and flashes back the late 1970s, when John and Tim met, and the continues to bounce back and forth in time covering periods of change and challenge for the boys.

Because it is presented as Tim's version of the true life events in his relationship with John, the movie manages to balance the now all-too-familiar tragedy of AIDS with the love, joy, and triumphs these two men share.

With so many LGBT films with AIDS casting a dark cloud over the stories, I know several of us have commented that we have to muster some effort to watch them; it is a joy to find Holding the Man took no effort to watch three times, one of those three times with the commentary track on because of the way the film is edited and, frankly, how lovely the story is.

The Blu-ray's featurettes feel mostly like puff pieces, and, really, they should have all been edited together to make one mini, making of clip. The commentary track is full of all kinds of great facts, including ones like the following:
  • The phone Tim used when he first called John to ask him if they could start dating is the same phone used in the film. (Tim's family brought it to the filmmakers.)
  • Tim's mother, niece and sister can all be seen as guests in the wedding scene.
  • The film was shot at the prep school the boys went to, Xavier College, which is a nice surprise, as the filmmakers note the school, while Roman Catholic, embraces the notoriety that came from John and Tim's love story.
  • Craig Scott, who plays John, plays football on the same field John did back in the 1970s,
The film arrived from eBay without issue and it is easily worth the slightly less than $30.00 I paid for it including shipping. I do see it is making the film festival rounds and hope it eventually gets a US release, both theatrically and on Blu-ray.

I would add that there is an in depth interview on YouTube on the making of this film that in a more perfect world would've been included on the Blu-ray. Even without seeing the film, it is worth watching to help others determine if this film is worth their money to buy.

MIFF 2015 Talking Pictures: "Holding The Man - Behind the Scenes" full version

And, don't forget to watch all of the credits, as the very end includes audio of Tim and a treat for those who watch all of the credits.
6813196-3x2-940x627.jpg

Thanks again to Peter for suggesting this film and John recommending it. This is exactly how I always hoped this thread would be used. Here is a film and inspiring true life love story I never would have heard of without visiting this thread at this forum.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Does anyone know what was deleted from the US version? Total length of the 5 episodes are said to be 289 minutes.
Peter,

I don't see the run time for the UK release, which is coming in May. I thought I would post that I do see the DVD is available to order at Amazon.com now. Here is the different cover and link.

91uxvLmLowL._SY445_.jpg

Amazon indicates the street date is April 12.

I don't see any special features listed, which would be the primary reason to buy this, as I would much rather have it on Blu-ray...but a "bare bones" DVD doesn't offer anything over a digital copy that is in HD, and that is a shame because I want to support this show with a purchase on physical media, but I cannot justify that if I am I am getting something inferior in quality to what I already have.

As for the run time question you asked,
the 289 minutes on the R1 DVD matches the length reported for the digital copies available on iTunes and Amazon, though I have not tracked them myself directly.

US digital copy run times (as posted both at Amazon.com and at iTunes)
  • Episode 1: 60 minutes
  • Episode 2: 58 minutes
  • Episode 3: 56 minutes
  • Episode 4: 56 minutes
  • Episode 5: 59 minutes.
UK digital copy run times (as posted at Amazon.co.uk)
  • Episode 1: 62 minutes
  • Episode 2: 60 minutes
  • Episode 3: 58 minutes
  • Episode 4: 58 minutes
  • Episode 5: 61 minutes.
It looks like the UK versions consistently show they run 2 minutes longer than the US version. I have no idea why. I wish I had an answer.
Best,

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
US digital copy run times (as posted both at Amazon.com and at iTunes)
  • Episode 1: 60 minutes
  • Episode 2: 58 minutes
  • Episode 3: 56 minutes
  • Episode 4: 56 minutes
  • Episode 5: 59 minutes.
UK digital copy run times (as posted at Amazon.co.uk)
  • Episode 1: 62 minutes
  • Episode 2: 60 minutes
  • Episode 3: 58 minutes
  • Episode 4: 58 minutes
  • Episode 5: 61 minutes.
It looks like the UK versions consistently show they run 2 minutes longer than the US version. I have no idea why. I wish I had an answer.
Best,

I'm thinking the UK editions must include ads or "next week on" coming attractions included in those run-times because I have the original BBC broadcasts and they aren't that long. The run-times of my episodes pretty much match the US digital copies (which have been rounded up to the nearest minute) and I'm sure the digital copies themselves of episode one aren't edited for content. Outside of the first episode, I can't imagine what cuts would have been made or need to be made for American broadcast anyway.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Someone was kind enough to post the original UK love scene to youtube. It goes on for another 10 seconds or so after the youtube clip ends but it will give you the general idea what, if anything, was cut from US broadcast.

I'm tagging the link as a spoiler. It's NSFW

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Broadway Damage has always been a favorite of mine. It is actually out on Blu-ray by a tiny outfit called Village Art Pictures. They don't have any distribution, but are selling the Blu-ray on Amazon themselves. I picked it up and the quality is top notch. I've attached a screen capture. The sound is DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
81esLBqAVYL._SX425_.jpg

BDWYDMG.jpg

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Someone was kind enough to post the original UK love scene to youtube. It goes on for another 10 seconds or so after the youtube clip ends but it will give you the general idea what, if anything, was cut from US broadcast.

I'm tagging the link as a spoiler. It's NSFW

Hi Will - I'm curious as to whether the "streamed version" (on itunes, etc) is the cut version or not - one of your previous posts seems to indicate that it's not edited, but since BBC America is listed as the source, I'm wondering if I should wait for the DVD release.
Thanks in advance!!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Hi Will - I'm curious as to whether the "streamed version" (on itunes, etc) is the cut version or not - one of your previous posts seems to indicate that it's not edited, but since BBC America is listed as the source, I'm wondering if I should wait for the DVD release.
Thanks in advance!!

Well I'm sorry I don't know the answer for certain, AJ. I've only ever seen the British telecasts that a friend of mine sent to me and I haven't seen the BBC America version or the streaming version. What I meant in my earlier post was that I couldn't imagine that the streaming version would be edited for content as those edits (if any) would only need to be made to satisfy US broadcast standards. I don't know, though, for certain. The running times of the original telecasts do match (to the nearest minute) those listed as the US streams but I don't know if any cuts would even be enough to change that running time in any substantive way. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Thanks Will - I think I may as well go with the streaming for now - I can always watch the You Tube post for at least part of what might be missing!! Allbest to you.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Grantchester series 2 continues to have a thread that includes LGBT characters,
both as suspects and as associates. It is currently airing on PBS.

Series 2 opened with the fellas taking a dip in the local waters; Dreams do come true. ;)
tumblr_nyodubzgOX1t2hpuno1_500.gif

You can purchase the Blu-ray at Amazon, or, cheaper at PBS.org ($49.99 vs $44.99) with even more savings possible if you wait for one of PBS's 15-20% off promotions, which seem to happen almost every weekend, based on the number emails I get from them. Shipping is free for orders of $59.00 or more, which was a no-brainer for me (I added the new version of And Then There Were None to my order at PBS.)

I know I would prefer to support PBS over Amazon.

I pre-ordered my copy of Grantchester Series 2 for $35.99 after the discounts and free shipping when bundled with And Then There Were None.
918fgmkFv3L._SX342_.jpg

The Blu-ray for Grantchester series 2 will be released on June 14, 2016, so there is plenty of time to look for other items to lump into the order or wait for another promotion.
716F0eloimL._SX342_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks