Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Konstantinos said:
Oh, I didn't know The Pillow Book is a gay film.
Maybe I should watch it...
edit: I think I misunderstood and it's not a gay film.

On another note, i realised yesterday that Wilde (1997) is a Sony film.
I wish TT could release it!
I don't love it as much as Maurice, but I'd like to have it on Bluray.
Wilde_Poster.jpg
More...

Bi-sexual

If...you are one that makes a distinction. I, for one...do.

But...like everything else, there is no...one...answer.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Mark Walker said:
Very Greenaway.

aaannnnnd...I'm out. :P

This MAY be the spot where we part ways as regards to taste, Mark. If I NEVER sit through anything else by Peter Greenaway, it won't be long enough!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mark Walker said:
A friend and I went to see Peter Greenaway's new film, Eisenstein in Guanajuato, at the Portland Queer Festival.

I live in the Portland area, and every year I hear about the festival AFTER it's already over! I guess I need to set up some calendar alerts or something. :unsure:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
schan1269 said:
More...

Bi-sexual

If...you are one that makes a distinction. I, for one...do.

But...like everything else, there is no...one...answer.
For precise clarity for knowing what you're in for, Ewan's character sleeps with men and women and is in a relationship with a male book publisher. Ewan is naked a lot, even for him and his filmography, and he is show being nailed by his male partner. When asked about it, Ewan said something akin to "I wanted to do it because it is outside of my experience."

Thanks Ewan. We're grateful! ;)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Will Krupp said:
aaannnnnd...I'm out. :P

This MAY be the spot where we part ways as regards to taste, Mark. If I NEVER sit through anything else by Peter Greenaway, it won't be long enough!
Oh, I hear ya! The first time I went to see Prospero's Books in a theater, I actually left mid-way through because I decided I'd rather be home sleeping. Ha! Now I am annoyed I cannot get it on a decent region 1 DVD...

Mark-P said:
I live in the Portland area, and every year I hear about the festival AFTER it's already over! I guess I need to set up some calendar alerts or something. :unsure:

Hey Mark!

I would have missed it this year, but my buddy is a projectionist at one of the theaters that hosts it, so he invited me to the Greenaway film and it did not dawn on me that it might be part of the Queer Film Festival until we were at dinner beforehand.

Maybe next year I should notify when I put it on my radar.

Cheers!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Just ordered a BD called Leather. Never heard of it and not released down under but on sale, well........

Interesting title I couldn't resist.

Did I waste my $$$.???

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hello John,

Did you waste your money? My answer is highly subjective. I purchased the DVD version of this film many months ago when I splurged on a bunch of titles at TLA....I think it was July. This film went to some fresh and interesting places, but there was one character that I thought was a complete waste of screen time; I was irritated almost every time he was in front of the camera.

The acting by everyone is uneven at best.

The "going home after the death of a parent or friend and engaging in some self-discovery" is a well-worn trope, but I still would give this film a solid C+.

I will be curious to see what you think of it.

I haven't seen it since the first time many months ago. I noticed the Blu-ray was getting released and that the price dropped at Amazon to just under $10, but I am not sure I ever need to see it again. Still, at $9.79 (current price at Amazon) I am almost tempted, which may be more of a sign of my compulsiveness and a desire to support LGBT films on Blu-ray ("See there is a market for LGBT films on Blu-ray!") than anything else.

For others, here is the film's cover art, a link to the trailer, and a link to purchase it at Amazon if you feel so inclined. :)

81jBUlxHSLL._SL1500_.jpg

Link to trailer

Link to purchase at Amazon.com

Let us know your thoughts on it once you've watched it and tell us if you wasted your money or not! :)

john a hunter said:
Just ordered a BD called Leather. Never heard of it and not released down under but on sale, well........

Interesting title I couldn't resist.

Did I waste my $$$.???

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
Longtime Companion was one of the most heart-wrenching films I've ever experienced. Perhaps it was because I'm of the AIDS generation and the people and themes really hit home (although the gay soap opera star never rang true); other than that, it is a great film that I watch infrequently because it is just too difficult to sit through (more personal than And the Band Played On, but equally as powerful and unforgettable).

As for Maurice, I've​ always felt the film was a greater success than the novel. Forster was clearly ambivalent and hesitant in writing his gay novel (and it shows). The film, however, displays no sense of queasiness and its power has not diminished over time. I really look forward to a Blu-ray release (although the DVD release holds up very nicely).

And finally. I still think Shelter is one of the best gay films of the last ten years. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I've seen Longtime Companion once, but I'm not sure I could watch it again..

I cried my eyes out! I can't go through this experience again!

Although i would love a Bluray!

Giovanni DN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Giovanni Di Natale
Konstantinos said:

What's up with your obsession with exclamation marks?!!!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Konstantinos said:

There's a handful of movies that came out on DVD around the time I was really struggling with who I was (Longtime Companion and And the Band Played On as two examples) I'd like to revisit, but I don't know if I really can. I tend to cry at the drop of a hat...seriously, I cry during RuPaul's Drag Race...and we might be flooded out of the house...

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I love EDGE OF SEVENTEEN, too. The DVD version was non-anamorphic as I recall, so this "New Director Approved HD Restoration" on Blu-ray should be a real treat!

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks