What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
sonomatom1 said:
As for Boys in the Band, I remember when it first came out and it was oh-so shocking and groundbreaking. As a young gay man, I hated its self-deprecating self-loathing hateful themes and characters. It was like watching and listening to a bunch of drag queens from the 50s (not a pretty picture, believe me). The film was all about shame and loathing. There is nothing about era or play/movie I want to relive. Better buried and forgotten!
I first saw Boys in the Band during initial release at an art house in Palo Alto. The audience was totally involved in what they were seeing and hearing. I believe they looked beyond what we now see as stereotypical behaviour to see the humanity and the basic likeability of the characters. Gay and straight, people identified with these characters.

The film also holds up today and not just as a period piece (which it also is). "The Best Years of our Lives", to take another example, is also a period piece (1946) and is also filled with stereotypes, but it holds up because of the characters and your ability to identify with them even though you were not in that time and place.

I think that Boys convinced its audience that these were real people, basically just like them.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
91tGkUa6IxL._SL1500_.jpg

I just spent the last 90 minutes watching Robin Williams' final film. He gives a realistic melancholy performance, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a posthumous Oscar nomination. While a big part of the story is about his trying to rescue a prostitute who doesn't want to be rescued (nothing original there) the real gist of the story is about a 60-year-old gay man who has spent his entire life just conforming to society's expectations, and doesn't want to do it anymore. That's a real thing. I won't spoil the ending. Some may find the tone of the movie depressing, but personally I found it to be deeply profound.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks Mark. There are so many films out right now, it is easy to forget titles that we wanted to remember.

Also of note, the Blu-ray is currently $9.99 at BestBuy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/boulevard-blu-ray-disc/4272000.p?id=3416864&skuId=4272000&productCategoryId=cat02015

I have a $5 off coupon, so this became a no-brainer purchase.
Mark-P said:
91tGkUa6IxL._SL1500_.jpg

I just spent the last 90 minutes watching Robin Williams' final film. He gives a realistic melancholy performance, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a posthumous Oscar nomination. While a big part of the story is about his trying to rescue a prostitute who doesn't want to be rescued (nothing original there) the real gist of the story is about a 60-year-old gay man who has spent his entire life just conforming to society's expectations, and doesn't want to do it anymore. That's a real thing. I won't spoil the ending. Some may find the tone of the movie depressing, but personally I found it to be deeply profound.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Mark Walker said:
Longtime Companion is now OOP on DVD and not available on any streaming service, per this wonderful article revisiting the film with its cast and crew 25 years later:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/longtime-companion-turns-25-an-oral-history-of-127421596292.html

While I have the OOP DVD, it was not even enhanced for widescreen displays. I hope this film gets revisited for release with better picture and sound. A quality Blu-ray would be wonderful.
I'm not sure I would be able to see this film again..

But i did like it a lot.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mark Walker said:
Longtime Companion is now OOP on DVD and not available on any streaming service, per this wonderful article revisiting the film with its cast and crew 25 years later:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/longtime-companion-turns-25-an-oral-history-of-127421596292.html

While I have the OOP DVD, it was not even enhanced for widescreen displays. I hope this film gets revisited for release with better picture and sound. A quality Blu-ray would be wonderful.

Since it's an MGM title, I hope Kino picks it up. They did put out Boys in the Band after all...

And how about Torch Song Trilogy? I yearn for these titles that were so instrumental during my coming out years.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mine, too. I still remember the experience of seeing both of those films in the theaters.

I just finished Boulevard. I am glad I purchased it, though, as a "bare-bones" Blu-ray, I am a bit bummed that Robin Williams' final film didn't have any bonus content.

I would like to suggest some other films that I have enjoyed recently via Netflix streaming:

Eastern Boys is remarkably similar to Boulevard on a superficial level but with a much different outcome. An older, reasonably well-off man picks up a street hustler and ends up getting a lot more than some quick sex when it turns out the hustler is a member of a Russian gang.

126662_ori.jpg

It is a film I truly wasn't sure where it was going or how it was going to end. I ended up be very happy for the journey.

Rotten Tomatoes gives it 91% fresh rating with 78% audience rating.

Here is a link to the trailer

The second film, Boy Meets Girl, has won lots of film festival prizes, but just the poster alone made me want to pass on this one.

boy-meets-girl-2015.35396.jpg

In spite of my reservations, I started watching it and found it to be a smart, fun and heartwarming. Most importantly, it is incredibly well-crafted and the cast blasts this one out of the park. I had tears in my eyes when the credits started to roll.

Rotten Tomatoes rated it 85% Fresh, with audiences giving it a solid 82% Fresh rating.

Here is a link to the trailer.

In addition to Netflix streaming, both films are also available on DVD and download via WolfeVideo and from Amazon.com.

Cheers!
Mark-P said:
Since it's an MGM title, I hope Kino picks it up. They did put out Boys in the Band after all...

And how about Torch Song Trilogy? I yearn for these titles that were so instrumental during my coming out years.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Just finished watching Gerontophilia on Netflix. I can't say I loved it...really fairly neutral on the movie as a whole. It deal with a young man figuring out he has an attraction to older (ie. elderly) men.

This is certainly a subject worthy of at least some study, but this film doesn't do any of it justice. What is it about the elderly "young" Lake finds attractive? Where is his internal struggle with his attraction? When did he start feeling it?

There's some subplot about his mother which honestly goes nowhere and does nothing, not to mention his work supervisor who goes from a major detractor to a decent enough ally. (Okay, maybe not an ally per se, but she doesn't exactly pitch a fit when she finds Lake in various states of undress with a patient.)

I'm not giving this one a recommendation...there just isn't enough here.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the warning, Jason.

I had heard as much, but it is nice to get confirmation that it is not worth the time spent to watch it.

I felt the same way about Big Gay Love: I fresh topic worthy of a much better film than the one it is presented in.

Jason_V said:
Just finished watching Gerontophilia on Netflix. I can't say I loved it...really fairly neutral on the movie as a whole. It deal with a young man figuring out he has an attraction to older (ie. elderly) men.

This is certainly a subject worthy of at least some study, but this film doesn't do any of it justice. What is it about the elderly "young" Lake finds attractive? Where is his internal struggle with his attraction? When did he start feeling it?

There's some subplot about his mother which honestly goes nowhere and does nothing, not to mention his work supervisor who goes from a major detractor to a decent enough ally. (Okay, maybe not an ally per se, but she doesn't exactly pitch a fit when she finds Lake in various states of undress with a patient.)

I'm not giving this one a recommendation...there just isn't enough here.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
[SIZE=14.6667px]Mark’s quickie reviews and updates for Saturday, September 26th.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]Matt posted another great Blu-ray review, this time for [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Prick Up Your Ears[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]. [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Here is the link[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px].[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px]I see that [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]The Seminarian[/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px] is being released on Blu-ray this Tuesday. I rented this more than a year ago and was left feeling “meh.” [/SIZE]

81f3nOdOJDL._SY445_.jpg

[SIZE=14.6667px]Here is how Rotten Tomatoes summarizes the plot:[/SIZE]
The Seminarian is a story about Ryan, a closeted gay student in his final semester of seminary studies. Despite his school's hostile stance towards homosexuality, Ryan has two gay classmates - Gerald and Anthony - in whom he secretly confides. He is also close to his religiously devout mother who, as things stand, is unaware of his sexual orientation. Ryan needs to complete a solid theological thesis in order to continue doctoral work at the university of his dreams. As he works on his thesis 'The Divine Gift of Love,' Ryan begins a relationship with Bradley - a guy he has met on the Internet who seems perpetually unable to commit himself. Ryan confides in Gerald and Anthony, only to learn about their romantic struggles as well. Consequently, Ryan questions his views on God's gift of love. -- (C) Official Site
I don’t know what this film wanted me to think of feel, but I was bored and the characters were not compelling. Next time I want to watch a good film with religious characters struggling with their orientation, I’ll watch Priest again.

I’ve also watched a few films on Netflix’s streaming service and one TV Show. (A horrible cold kept me home from work two days and a viewing binge was about as much activity as I could muster.)

How To Get Away With Murder is every bit as good as the hype reports it is. And the gay sex is treated just like the straight sex and it is wonderful. Viola Davis earned every ounce of that Emmy the other night.
51g-U3ChlbL._SY445_.jpg

HTGAWM is only available on DVD, digital file and streaming. No Blu-ray. :(

Seashore
51O-uERidyL._AC_UL320_SR230,320_.jpg

I wanted to like this film, but, like Boys, it took way too long to get where it was going, which was no where fresh, new, or original for LGBT films.

Blackbird was written and directed by Patrick Ian-Polk, so I had very high expectations, as I pretty much love everything he does if for no other reason than he takes me places I would not otherwise go and does so in an entertaining way.
81TEo0cOigL._SX342_.jpg

Blackbird succeeds in several ways of being fresh and interesting, but it also fails in some critical areas that result in this being a missed opportunity. The plot, as summarized by Rotten Tomatoes:
BLACKBIRD tells the story of seventeen-year-old Randy (Julian Walker), a devout Christian, who, as strong as he seems on the outside, is hiding a secret inner struggle - the denial of being gay. He is also struggling with his life at home since his father (Isaiah Washington) has left, and Randy cares for his emotionally disturbed mother (Mo'Nique). It is not until he opens himself up to love that he discovers that becoming a man means accepting who you really are.
I would add that this film could be subtitled, “How being devoutly fundamentalist Christian should not be used to mask serious mental heath issues.” or “If you really think you’re having a conversation with God and he is talking back to you with actual words, there is a medical diagnosis (and medication) for that.” This film also wants us to accept the assumption that the lead character has some psychic gifts which I have a HUGE problem with...the film finally goes off the rails in a dream sequence during the last ten minutes. Great cast, some great moments, but too many horrible ones as well. Skip this unless you thought talking to an employee of Dionne Warwick’s Psychic Friends Network was a good use of your time and money.
Blackbird is available on Blu-ray, DVD, and streaming services.

One final note...These films set in contemporaneous times where folks think they can cure homosexuality via gang saving with Jesus...I guess they never heard of Google and searching, “Can I pray the gay away?” or “Research into conversion therapy success rates for curing of homosexuality.”

They have the internet in Mississippi, don't they?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the link to my review, Mark.

And warm thanks for the summary of available discs for TV and films even if they're not always worthy of our time.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
A friend and I went to see Peter Greenaway's new film, Eisenstein in Guanajuato, at the Portland Queer Festival.

Eisenstein-in-Guanajuato-2015-poster-directed-by-Peter-Greenaway.jpg

The film portrays film's early cinematic genius, Sergei Eisenstein, during his brief time in (you guested it) Guanajuato. Very Greenaway.

Here is a link to the film's trailer:

I loved 80% of it and detested the rest of it for its Greenaway excesses. At the same time, I have to say it is very appropriate for this thread and the 80% of it that is fantastic does make it a must buy for me, as visually, most of it was amazing. Strand Releasing has distribution rights, so hopefully this means a Blu-ray is forthcoming.

maxresdefault.jpg

After the film, Ian let me know he actually has seen very few Greenaway films. I offered to loan him my copy of The Pillow Book, forgetting that is was zone B.

51IGEQuOyUL._SX385_.jpg

I ended up ordering the Zone A copy,

91sz2HHoxfL._SX342_.jpg

and guess what? It is worth the doubled-dip if you enjoy director's commentary tracks.

The UK Blu-ray does NOT have the commentary track!

I have not finished it yet, and want to get back to my TT Blu-ray release of Strange Invaders tonight, but Greenaway does a great job with a very informative and engaging commentary about his interests and inspirations for The Pillow Book.

Cheers!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Oh, I didn't know The Pillow Book is a gay film.

Maybe I should watch it...

edit: I think I misunderstood and it's not a gay film.

On another note, i realised yesterday that Wilde (1997) is a Sony film.

I wish TT could release it!

I don't love it as much as Maurice, but I'd like to have it on Bluray.

Wilde_Poster.jpg

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Konstantinos said:
Oh, I didn't know The Pillow Book is a gay film.

Maybe I should watch it...

edit: I think I misunderstood and it's not a gay film.

It has gay elements and more than enough full frontal nudity, but I would not consider it a gay film. Well worth watching, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks