What's new

Theatrical Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024) (2 Viewers)

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Yep, I stayed with a friend and in the middle of the credits, there's only the two of us in the theater and we get up to walk out, but the security guard says to us there's stuff up to the very end, so we stayed. Then of course, later, all the guys who were there were jealous!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There is a post credit scene, fyi.

Thanks.

oddly enough I relayed this message to a friend seeing it today, and he got mad I told him!:confused:
He told me post scene giveaways are the biggest spoilers of all. Apparently because they are unexpected?
I guess I never looked at it that way.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Thanks.

oddly enough I relayed this message to a friend seeing it today, and he got mad I told him!:confused:
He told me post scene giveaways are the biggest spoilers of all. Apparently because they are unexpected?
I guess I never looked at it that way.
I’m one of the biggest spoilerphobes around here and even I don’t look at it that way.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Witness IMAX
1716494550789.jpeg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I’m one of the biggest spoilerphobes around here and even I don’t look at it that way.

A long time ago, in a forum far far away, discussing the series Farscape, I caught seven kinds of Hell one time because I posted a list of the coming month's schedule of episodes, which included the episode titles. Several people complained about the episode titles being spoilers. The truth of the matter is that while some titles, when you think about them, might be considered spoilers, they actually weren't because you wouldn't know what they were alluding to until you've seen the episode. At that point, by definition, they wouldn't be spoilers. Of the 88 episodes of the series, there's only one where the title could legitimately be called a spoiler, because it says "<so-and-so> Returns".

I likened that to someone going to a movie theater to see, say, Tomorrow Never Dies, and not wanting to know in advance that it's a James Bond movie. It must wreck havoc with people when franchise films include the name of the franchise and an ordinal number in the title.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back.

A really great action film and a worthy addition to the Mad Max saga, however it doesn’t reach the masterpiece action status that is Fury Road.

Furiosa has a different tone and pace than Fury Road so temper your expectations as it’s its own thing.

Anya Taylor Joy and Chris Hemsworth are great here. Especially Hemsworth as Dementus.

The action scenes are spectacular as expected but don’t have that oomph that Fury Roads had.

This film is sort of like Thunderdome following The Road Warrior.

For comparison, I would give Fury Road a 10/10 and Furiosa an 8/10. See it in IMAX.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Loved the movie! I like that it’s different than Fury Road but it’s very connected too. Great story set up of the character and great action as always.

This movie felt like an event to me rather than just another movie too.

I stayed for the post credit scene / clip but I didn’t recognize what I was seeing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
A really great action film and a worthy addition to the Mad Max saga, however it doesn’t reach the masterpiece action status that is Fury Road.

Furiosa has a different tone and pace than Fury Road so temper your expectations as it’s its own thing.
My thoughts exactly! I give it a b

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Furiosa is loud and does...not...stop from the first frame to the end. It looks great, it's inventive. But really, I don't care about what's happening. The story itself if just a means to stringing together action set pieces. Again, those are amazing and meticulously planned, executed and engaging. I can't praise the visuals enough.

All that being said, I know Mad Max is not "my" series even though it should be. It hit cable TV at roughly the same time I had unfettered access to HBO back in the day. I should love it. I don't. I've seen the first three movies once, maybe twice. I fell asleep in Fury Road the one and only time I saw it. So I went into Furiosa with that backdrop. I'm not disappointed by this movie...it was exactly what I expected it to be.

(At least two people left the movie and didn't come back about a half hour in.)

If I manage to ever get a dedicated media room with a banging sound system and whatnot, I will likely get this just as a demo disc to wow people.

Desslar

Screenwriter
Real Name
Stephen
Just got back.

Anya Taylor Joy and Chris Hemsworth are great here. Especially Hemsworth as Dementus.

The action scenes are spectacular as expected but don’t have that oomph that Fury Roads had.

This film is sort of like Thunderdome following The Road Warrior.

For comparison, I would give Fury Road a 10/10 and Furiosa an 8/10. See it in IMAX.

Thanks for the review!

Curious about a couple things:

"This film is sort of like Thunderdome following The Road Warrior."

I suppose you mean in terms of quality? Because to me, Fury Road felt most similar to Thunderdome in placing Max in the middle of a new semi-mystical medieval-ish society, instead of the decaying remnants of 20th century civilization seen in the first two films.

"The action scenes are spectacular as expected but don’t have that oomph that Fury Roads had."

My favorite action scene in the franchise is actually the opening chase in Mad Max. It's simple but visceral and feels real. I felt the action scenes were a little too fantastic in Fury Road. Even though I understand a lot of the stunt driving was done practically, it felt like there were a lot of distracting effects on the screen (like the sandstorm) and it all came off a little video game-ish to me.

Are you saying the action is a little more stripped down in Furiosa? That might actually appeal to me.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Furiosa is loud and does...not...stop from the first frame to the end. It looks great, it's inventive. But really, I don't care about what's happening. The story itself if just a means to stringing together action set pieces. Again, those are amazing and meticulously planned, executed and engaging. I can't praise the visuals enough.

All that being said, I know Mad Max is not "my" series even though it should be. It hit cable TV at roughly the same time I had unfettered access to HBO back in the day. I should love it. I don't. I've seen the first three movies once, maybe twice. I fell asleep in Fury Road the one and only time I saw it. So I went into Furiosa with that backdrop. I'm not disappointed by this movie...it was exactly what I expected it to be.

(At least two people left the movie and didn't come back about a half hour in.)

If I manage to ever get a dedicated media room with a banging sound system and whatnot, I will likely get this just as a demo disc to wow people.
I think Fury Road fits comfortably into the category of disc demonstration films- I bought the 4 film collection that had the UHD of this film included, even before I bought a UHD player. Still very high on my list of best looking and sounding film on disc.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I watched this last night and quite liked it.

I agree generally with Tino that it's not a masterpiece like Fury Road, and moves at a different pace.

It's not as heavily stylized as Fury Road, but it's still 100% pure George Miller. If anything, I would say it's more similar to Mad Max and Mad Max 2 than Fury Road in terms of pacing and plot development. Strangely, I think Furiosa should bear the "Mad Max" banner outright, instead of "A Mad Max Saga", and Fury Road should should be a "Mad Max Saga" (at least in terms of similarly--ignoring main characters).

The action is thrilling, with some pretty crazy crazy and inventive sequences. Though oddly a lot of the "carnage" happens deep in the background. In some scenes the movie is less focused on the explosions than you would think. Can a Miller movie be "reserved at times?" This one is: to its credit. If Fury Road is the "raw" George Miller movie, Furiosa is the "finely aged" George Miller movie.

The performances are great. Perhaps by design, Chris Hemsworth sort of steals the movie from Anya Taylor-Joy. That said, I think Taylor-Joy captures the anger of Furiosa quite well. It's easy to see how we get from her to Charlize Theron.

But where the movie really shines is its ability to tell a story without much dialogue. Furiosa is a masterclass in building a rich and unique world filled with varied and wild characters without resorting to exposition dumps.

9/10 (minus 1 because "flamethrower guitar guy" only has a background cameo)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Just got back from seeing this in IMAX last night. Quick thoughts:

- Is not as lean and focused as Fury Road, but still awesome.

- The Stowaway action-sequence is fucking stellar. George Miller, you magnificent madman.

- Greatest action scenes in the history of action or scenes. Looks absolutely breathtaking -- see this on a Wasteland-sized screen if at all possible.

...Yeah, this is "epic" in the sense of Greek and Roman poetry, not modern "epic," so to speak. Right from the opening, wonderfully-methodical but sprawling action sequence that takes Furiosa away from the Green Place, there's an elegiac and tragic tone to the whole thing that is arresting in a very different way than the mad hyper-charged bombast of Fury Road. I do think as a result it ends up feeling more emotionally removed than FR does, but that doesn't mean it's bad -- it's just different.

Certainly, Miller populates this film with astonishments -- the previously-mentioned Stowaway-sequence is truly mindboggling, and you truly feel like you've just seen about twelve things you've never seen before in every minute of the scene (the fucking octopus kite-flyer!), but even stuff like the whole "overtaking-of-the-War-Rig" that takes place essentially in the middle distance behind Dementus is just phenomenal; there's stuff like that throughout that feels like Miller's postapocalyptic take on the Aqaba-charge in Lawrence of Arabia. But that distance also speaks to the overall film: this is a high tale of the Wasteland, we don't have the immediacy -- and frankly the kind of open-wound, ground-level energy -- that Nux and the Brides give Fury Road.

That being said, I think this might be Hemsworth's best performance, and I don't know if it's all that close for a #2. Dementus isn't just another roaring, mythic warlord of the Wasteland, as much as he tries to be (the running gag where he keeps giving himself different mythic epithets is GREAT) -- there's a desperation and sadness holding the character together that keeps bursting forth from his facade. He never was going to be an Immortan Joe, as much as he tries to be. He can talk the talk, but he never has it, and the scenes where his desperation pops out are tremendous. I also like that Tom Burke's Jack never has it in a different way -- there's a softness to him that lets you know this guy is fucked, even as tough as he is. Anya Taylor-Joy is good and intense, in a different way from Charlize Theron.

Anyways, not the immediate thrilling piece of pop-art that Fury Road is, but there's a lot of fascinating shit going on here, and it's one I think I'm going to be thinking about for awhile. I'll probably have to keep going to see Furiosa all summer just to fully grasp it. Very clever of you, Miller.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickLanzetta
Recent bookmarks