What's new

Full bitrate DTS (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
If they were to do away with Dolby on the Superbit line that would be fine, but then it can't technically be called a DVD.
I agree with what Craig said. Also, no one is saying due away with a DD track...you could keep a 192kbps 2.0 track (like the DTS only discs), to maximize audio and video bitrate.

RobD

Second Unit
Could they throw in a 96KB/sec mono track, default to DTS and keep the DVD logo??

Also, this is probsbly off topic but how did Mpeg audio sound? (I know some very early European disks had it and all my equipment supports it)

James Reader

Screenwriter
It is not just disk space that is of concern. DVD has a max of just over 10MB/sec for the video track and all aoudio tracks combined. Hence by adding commentary and full bit rate DTS, in any scenes where the rate is at 9ish or higher the picture quality may suffer.
But being as the bit rate on a Superbit DVD hardly ever goes over 8.5 this isn't really an issue.

Personally I suspect most of the Superbit titles which show a "vast improvement" over their ordinary transfer are those from titles originally authored a year or so back, and most of the improvement is down to better transfer/compression technology - not the higher bit budget as such.

For example, if Adaptation, a new release, was released as a full-rate dts release, plus a commentary track, plus perhaps an overall slightly lower bitrate, I doubt anyone would notice any visual differences.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As I have said on a few occasions, Support Blue Laser HD-DVD as it has more than enough disc space to hold supplements, DD, full bit-rate DTS & possibly 96khz PCM all on the same disc!
Shun the proposed used of more efficient algorithms on a standard capacity DVD in favor of a (possibly) better format with more than enough space for everything we gearheads & film fans want.

Just for those few who might not know what the hell I'm talking about....(Here at HTF? How many could there possibly be?)
In February, the nine companies promoting Blu-ray Disc technology -- a next-generation recordable DVD format using blue-violet lasers -- announced the start of licensing. Hitachi, LG Electronics, Matsushita Electric Industrial, Pioneer, Royal Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics, Sharp, Sony and Thomson are known as the "Blu-ray Disc Founders" and have been pursuing a broad acceptance of the format.

Blu-ray technology is designed to allow a single-sided, 12-centimetre disc to hold up to 27GB of storage. (Currently, most DVDs hold 4.7GB of data.) The technology uses a short-wavelength blue-violet laser -- instead of the red lasers in current optical drives -- to read data off discs.

The higher-capacity Blu-ray discs should enable owners to record high-definition broadcasts, which offer better picture quality than the more broadly available TV broadcasts. Sony's new device records and plays back Blu-ray discs, but can also play back DVD, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD and CD-RW discs. However, the recorder won't be able to read DVD-RAM or DVD+RW discs.

Companies are already developing products using Blu-ray technology. Philips has demonstrated a prototype miniature Blu-ray disc drive with a 3-centimetre disc that can store up to 1GB of data. Typical CDs, measuring 12 centimetres in diameter, can hold up to 650MB of data. The prototype drive is suitable for use in portable devices such as digital cameras, handheld deivces and cell phones. Philips has been working to shrink the drive.

Sony has developed a similar product.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The future HD image needs a much higher amount of video room and bandwidth. Presently, as good as it is already, the image can be improved on considerably. Personally, I'm very sensitive to image quality.

On the other hand, DTS, even full-rate, doesn't offer that much of an improvement - if any substantial improvement at all - over the DD 5.1 as it is properly done now more and more. In fact, in comparison to the sacrifices, I wonder if there is an advantage at all in having the this superfluous and space-consuming extra soundtrack available.

Note that I'm a long time audiophile and want my music (not the same as a 'soundtrack') uncompromised without any lossy compression.

Yes, DTS has done a wonderful marketing job. It's almost a hype now.

Cees

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Also in regards to any new audio to be used on a proposed Blu-laser HD-DVD, I suppose that DTS & Dolby might come up with new higher bit-rate discrete formats to be used on such a high capacity disc...could be interesting and sadly time consuming what with all the rights and licensing.

For those who haven't seen it yet, there is an interesting thread currently discussing this topic. HD-DVD

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
Note that I'm a long time audiophile and want my music (not the same as a 'soundtrack') uncompromised without any lossy compression.
I'm an anal-retentive film score fan and I've typically found that DTS tracks render scores noticeably better than the Dolby Digital counterpart. If you don't care about film scores, that's fine, but please don't say that it's OK to compress a movie "soundtrack" down to a little 448kbps or smaller stream and then in the next breath say that compressing music is bad. Either you're forgetting that a movie soundtrack contains music or you don't consider film scores to be music.

Craig W

Second Unit
RobD,

They could do the first, but the disc would have to default to the Dolby track since dts is technically an optional track.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you don't care about film scores, that's fine, but please don't say that it's OK to compress a movie "soundtrack" down to a little 448kbps or smaller stream and then in the next breath say that compressing music is bad.
He never said it was "OK" to compress a film soundtrack. He said he didn't hear any meaningful difference between the lossy compression of DTS and the lossy compression of Dolby Digital. (I happen to share that perception.)

Cees's stated preference is for uncompressed soundtracks. Neither of the formats we're discussing can deliver that.

M.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Either you're forgetting that a movie soundtrack contains music or you don't consider film scores to be music.
What Michael said (excellently said, I must add).

And no, it seems impossible for me to forget that film scores contain music. I suppose I have an ear for that - more than 30 years already now.

But uhm... I'm surprised that you say that you're an anal-retentive film score fan and in the next breath say that compressing the sound is good. Even quarrel about the amount of compression. If you don't care about music, that's fine, but please don't forget that a movie soundtrack contains so much music as well.

Cees

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
But uhm... I'm surprised that you say that you're an anal-retentive film score fan and in the next breath say that compressing the sound is good. Even quarrel about the amount of compression. If you don't care about music, that's fine, but please don't forget that a movie soundtrack contains so much music as well.
Last I checked, there wasn't an option for 6 channel uncompressed sound on DVD-V. That's why I enjoy DTS tracks as a decent substitute. Nowhere in my post do I say or infer that compressing sound is good. What I did say is that the compression provided by DTS' coding system for film music contained in a movie soundtrack often sounds superior to that of Dolby Digital.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Jonathan,

:)

That's funny... when I (mainly) copied your lines, I must have copied the logical flaws too.

BTW, "anal-retentive" is almost synonymous with "love for more compaction", out of sheer necessity. :)

Cees

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, actually, the DVD-video spec allows for up to 8 channels of PCM. However, since it uses so much bandwidth, htis option is very rarely used.

Eric F

Screenwriter
More DTS 96/24 support (or any) would be nice- but I think that requires full bitrate DTS tracks.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
[/quote] It won't 'fit' on a SB. With 5.1 DD, that is.[/quote]
[/quote]Sure it can fit.[/quote]
No, it can not fit on a SB (Super Bit).
It would not leave enough room for SB video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks