What's new

Front firing or down firing? (1 Viewer)

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
If an entertainment room is fully carpeted, would it be better to have a front firing sub? Or does it really make a difference?

Tod

GregGreenman

Auditioning
Tod,

Yes - bass waves are so big and so long - that they won't
notice whether you are side firing or downward firing.

Either way the subwoofer is creating a pressurized area
in the vicinity of the subwoofer.

The effect of the carpet will be the same either way -
essentially very small. It's not easy to absorb bass.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I would choose front firing personally...

The cone of a subwoofer has a weight to it.. and by putting the subwoofer in a downfiring position there should always be a potential "sag" to the driver.

This may not make a noticeable difference, but the difference is there and can probably be measured.

Thus.. a FF subwoofer will have less sag than a DF making it "potentially" better. :) I'd classify this reasoning under psychoacoustics though. hehe

Oh, and FF means more potential for positioning in a room because you can have the driver face in different directions, or face against a wall for more "wall" loading.

BTW, I have 2 downfiring tempests in my HT.. Works plenty well for me.

Hmmm I wonder if a DF sub is more stable though.. cause a FF sub could create more of a "rocking" motion than trying to lift the sub off the ground. oh well... heh

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
On the other hand, I've seen people worry about asymetric loading on the driver from being front firing. The down-firing always has the constant draw-down over the entire area of the woofer; the front firing has that same draw-down - but pulling it off-axis from the direction it's supposed to travel.

Personally, I have no idea.

Leo Kerr
[email protected]

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses. Just didn't want to purchase a new sub and have that "what if" feeling.

Thanks again - Tod

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks