What's new

5.1.2 atmos placement (1 Viewer)

RDK91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
I currently have a 5.1 setup and would like to add atmos speakers.

Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to mount front height speakers, so my 2 options are either up firing speakers or mounting the height speakers slightly behind my seating position as demonstrated in the picture below.

I can angle the speakers so they point towards the seating position, they won't be just down firing.

Any advice or ideas, or should I just forget about getting atmos in my situation.

Screenshot 2022-07-29 04.02.40.png

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Would you have additional surround speakers in addition to the ones you are using for Atmos behind your seating area? You have asked a tough question. I have heard some rooms with front Atmos enabled speakers sound fantastic, and others sound marginal, so your milage may vary. If you are mounting your rear speakers and trying to aim them to reflect, I think you will have a harder time dialing in the sound than using Atmos enabled speakers in the front where they are easier to adjust.

RDK91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
No, i will not add any other additional speakers since it isn't possible in my room.

My 5.1 setup is pretty perfect right now regarding speaker placement, but i can't add extra surround speakers to make it a 7.X.X setup.

All i can do is ceiling mount 2 additional speakers at the spots marked on the image to use as atmos speakers, to create a 5.1.2 setup. These are not reflecting but directly pointed towards to seating position.

RDK91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
Is that your only option? The suggested angles are slightly in front of you on the ceiling or in ceiling speakers.

Focus on the bottom right diagram.

But yes I would choose the rear height over upfiring gimmick any day of the week

I know the ideal placement would be slightly in front of my seating position but unfortunately that isn't an option.

RDK91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
I guess my main question is: is it worth it getting Atmos if i have to place the height speakers slightly behind my listening position, am i going to notice any effect at all or should i just forget about it and stick to 5.1.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess my main question is: is it worth it getting Atmos if i have to place the height speakers slightly behind my listening position, am i going to notice any effect at all or should i just forget about it and stick to 5.1.
My gut feeling is "NO". Personally, I wouldn't bother in that situation. Front reflecting models can have a nice effect in ideal circumstances. Not anything profound, but a little filling in. However, if you can't get overhead speakers at least straight above or slightly in front of the viewer, I wouldn't bother.

RDK91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
My gut feeling is "NO". Personally, I wouldn't bother in that situation. Front reflecting models can have a nice effect in ideal circumstances. Not anything profound, but a little filling in. However, if you can't get overhead speakers at least straight above or slightly in front of the viewer, I wouldn't bother.

Thanks, i could go for front reflecting as well but i always doubted the effect it has, i guess i will have to try.

The ceiling mounted speakers would be placed around 40 cm behind the listening position but pointed towards the seating position, so it's not that the speakers would be way behind the listening position.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It really doesn't matter where they're pointed. Their sound still comes from where it comes, which is behind the viewer. Will they add sound? Sure. The problem is, that sound is supposed to be in front of the viewer, and it will be behind. In reality, people convince themselves of what they want to, and you might decide you love it. One time someone put his center channel speaker at the back of the room, as in on the opposite wall as the TV and the other front speakers, and insisted it was the greatest thing ever and positively everyone should do the same. So, I can imagine why someone would find this to work great. I just know it's far from how the system is intended and won't produce desirable results. That doesn't mean you would be unhappy with it.

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
If you're able to have height speakers what's stopping you from mounting them on the ceiling?

RDK91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
If you're able to have height speakers what's stopping you from mounting them on the ceiling?
Well, esthetics for one. I wouldn't mind having speakers midway of the ceiling but i don't want cables or cable guides all the way over my ceiling. My setup is in my living room.

I can't hide the cables in the ceiling either since it is concrete and I can't cut into the ceiling since it is a rental property.

Anyway, i am going to try a temporary setup first without mounting the speakers, so i can see if i like the effects if the sound comes from behind, i will also try reflecting the sound via speakers at the front and i will also try the atmos speakers in the correct position to compare against the other 2 options and then decide what way to go.

If anyone has an idea or a few examples on how to get the atmos speakers in the correct position without cables all over the place or cutting in the ceiling i would love to hear it.

Hopes this all makes sense, English isn't my native language.

RDK91

Auditioning
Real Name
Ruben
Alright, I have figured out another possibility.

I can mount the height speakers at the ceiling at or around the same spot where my front speakers are located. This would put the speaker at an angle of close to 35˚.

I assume this would be a better option rather than placing them slightly behind the listening position?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks