What's new

Friday Night Lights season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I don't know if it is still the case today, but it certainly was in the late 80's in Odessa. Also, keep in mind, I'm sure there are people in the town that are able to go on with their life without knowing or caring about high school football...this show just doesn't focus on them.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

Eh, I've seen numerous complaints about this but my wife is actually epileptic and will get headaches and have to look away during a lot of these new movies that go crazy with the visual effects and editing and we followed this show with no problem. *shrug*

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This show can't last long. The repeat broadcast came in dead last in the network ratings for that timeslot behind the CW Network's "America's Next Top Model".

Middle America may be psycho-crazy over HS football, but apparently they won't watch it on television.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I'm cool with a show not lasting long, provided they finish enough episodes to make a satisfying dvd set :)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I can buy that these small towns are absolutely obsessed with religion and football, but I still think it's silly. "Do you think God likes football?" indeed! I'm not a big city boy myself, but I did find it hard to relate to this show on many levels. But it was just a pilot; I am willing to watch another episode or two to see if it gets more believable. It's fine to do a show about sports, but the sport has to be kept in the background. One Tree Hill doesn't overdo the basketball thing, and it's been on for three years. The White Shadow wasn't about basketball; it was about the people playing basketball, and etc, etc for all great sports shows and movies. FNL needs to aim the camera away from the pigskin and instead at its characters; and not make us dizzy while doing it. The show will need a wider scope in the future. If it's targeted so finely at middle America, then the demographics from the big cities (which is all advertisers care about), may not be very good and the show might get cancelled quickly.

Steve Meil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
This is the first show I've ever gave a zero to. It was just awful. By looking at the ratings I wasn't that far off.

Jace_A

Second Unit
Even though I would have run 1,000 miles from a hell-hole town like this the moment I turned 18 and never looked back, I actually enjoyed the show. The concept of a whole town being so obsessed with a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds playing football games that it validates their very existence is depressing. I wold think it far fetched to the point of incredulity except I've seen a number of documentaries which make this look like rather rosy a picture by comparison.

My main quibble, aside from the tired hand held camera technique, is that everyone looks like they've just walked out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue. No one is overweight, no one is even remotely average looking. It just looks too sleek and refined to be believable. Is it so terrible to portray real people on television?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Uhh...actually...wouldn't the poor ratings be an indication that you were way off?

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Watched the second episode last night and I gotta say, I'm pretty much digging it. I'm a sucker for sports programming and definitely one that involves football, plus I like the coach and the sophmore QB (and his buddy) seem like great characters. So I think I'm in for the long haul, assuming it doesn't get cancelled (like Smith). I know its all cliched and been there done that...but its about an underdog and football, so that gets a vote in my book. Plus, maybe its just me, but the acting and dialogue seem to be pretty good. There are some other shows (Jericho I'm looking in your direction) where I just cringe every once and a while due to either schlocky lines or just piss poor delivery, but that hasn't happened for me yet with this one. Well, here's hoping this sticks around.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
I find this show ridiculously mellow dramatic and at times it cam be stunningly raw and honest. Most of all it's very entertaining and I have to say I like it.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
There is some mellodrama, and the hand held camera gets a bit too shakey sometimes, but the mostly good acting and writing makes me forget about any negatives. Plus I like a lot of the music and the score is great.

The scene last night where the coach shows up at the new QB's house then takes him to the stadium for a talk was really, really well done.

Dennis is right about the rawness and honesty. It is a rare thing to see on tv, and is probably why it has few fans. In that way, I've not seen anythng like it since My So Called Life. Yes, a very different show, but also raw and honest. I will keep watching for as long as it is on.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott

That scene definitely stuck out as well as when the coach goes back to the hospital to see the injured QB. The interaction just seems to ring true for me. Like you guys said, its very raw and honest and flows well with the style they have chosen for filming and editing.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I love this show

Hopelessly addicted to it.

Honestly can't see any reason why anyone would give it a 0..

A zero? Seriously?

I dunno, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Clear Eyes
Full Hearts
Can't Lose

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
I watched part of this last night, the wife tivoed it.

The use of puke vision camera work will turn me off if it continues as much as the small portion I saw.

I also was never into the whole "high school is the best time of your life" nonsense so although I am a huge football fan this show holds very little interest for me.

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator

To me, it hardly seems like they are portraying high school as "the best time of your life." One paralyzed quarterback, one quarterback who takes care of his grandmother and has the weight of the world thrust on his shoulders, one running back who has a drinking problem, one running back who deals with racism and puts far too much pressure on himself, these aren't all good times, thus the "raw and honest" comments.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I sort of liked the 2 episodes, given the documentary feel to the show, but the timeslot is a killer (easily the 4th priority for me personally in the 8-spot on Tuesdays).

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I think what they need to do is shift it to a 9 o'clock time slot on some night and give it a good lead-in. That would probably be better for the ratings than letting it bleed to death where it is.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I hope this one will stick around long enough for more people to check it out. It has a way of drawing you in.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

It really does. It's incredibly engaging. Last night I was so into it I couldn't believe it when I looked at the time and it was 8:50. I was nooooo!!!! It can't be over already!!!

I've quickly lost interest in many of the new shoes already but this one keeps me watching. I'm really surprised at how much I like this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks