What's new

Friday Night Lights season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
This show is like going to the batting cage, I can see all the cliches coming but still I just want to hit balls out of the park and watch them come.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Yeah. What's funny is, Adrianne Palicki was like hotness personified on Smallville and Supernatural, but she's my least favorite here. Lyla is really cute. Julie would have been just my type in high school, but I'm not going to say too much about her because she really is a kid, unlike the other two (Adrianne is 23, Minka is 26, and Aimee is 16). She and Matt would be good together and probably eventually will be, and I don't think Coach has to worry too much about it. Matt doesn't strike me as the type of kid to be in the back seat on the second date.

By the way, what the hell is up with Gaius Charles's IMDb photo?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2173080/

Edit: Okay, Aimee actually turned 17, but still.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I won't be able to watch this until later tonight, but the TV was on during the opening sequence and man was Minka looking good.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jason Street's subplot gives me chills at time, I'm impressed they decided to stick with his story.

If I were Coach Taylor, I would have put Voodoo at wide receiver until something bad happened to Saracen. Nice touch showing the price of glory the morning after with all those bruises on Saracen from the game.

Tyra's subplot seemed like it was just tacked on as filler.

Lyla stepping out on Street with Riggins is so wrong, but predictable. Nothing like a morning jog/booty call to start the day..

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
http://imdb.com/name/nm1631435/

http://imdb.com/name/nm1597316/

http://imdb.com/name/nm1310368/

man some of these chix are just so damned young
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I thought the scenes of Voodoo going rogue during the game were well done, but his one-on-one in the office with Coach Taylor was less successful, IMO.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I keep waiting for this show to completely fall apart for me, but it actually seems to be getting better. My one complaint is how they handled the whole Voodoo thing. While I like the way it ended, after seeing how he was, it didn't make sense to me why Voodoo would have chosen to play for Dillon. It also didn't make sense to me why Coach Taylor would have had him start his first game there, especially if Serencen had such a good week of practice.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter

Good points, but since when do high school kids and their decisions make sense? It actually is very consistent that the kid made the wrong decision. As for Coach, a main theme of the show is about the pressure on the coach to win. He only got the job because he was tight with Jason Street. His offensive coordinator seems to have his heart in the right place -- best interests of the team -- but he is undermining the coach. The big shots in town have influence, and they are on the local media pushing for Voodoo. He made a decision we can understand, if only because it plays out in real life sports. Instead of going with the good guy, the hard worker, he went with the high profile free agent. The move had some early success, but the team chemistry broke down under pressure.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
She's one of the main reasons I started to watch this show in the first place. I got to see it in HD for the first time last night. It looks so much better in HD than letterboxed SD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FNL improved by 3 points in the ratings last night (compared to last Tuesday up against Dancing with the Stars) going up against a rerun of CSI: Miami (which still managed to almost double FNL's viewership - why are Nielsen viewers watching reruns of this show?).

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Good points Charlie, and I'll buy the argument for the coach making the decision, but I'm still not sure about Voodoo's decision to go to Dillon. Based on that scene where the coaches went to his house, he obviously had a lot of family support around him to "assist" in his decision, and even a dumb kid would know if all he wanted was recognition to get a scholarship to a top school, not to go to the school where he has to earn his starting position. I'm sure he had plenty of offers from other schools just as prestigious and accessible as Dillon that guaranteed him the starting job. As I believe someone else pointed out already...given his decision to go to Dillon, I was expecting a better "person" in Voodoo.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The real test would have been if the most popular show on Monday night, "CSI: Miami," was not a repeat.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Yeah, Voodoo gave the impression he might be a decent guy when he made the choice. Maybe a slight bit of misdirection. Or maybe it's foreshadowing that at some later point he could be a team guy.

I thought it was a horrible decision to put this show on opposite Monday Night Football. Turns out the game was a blowout, so it might have helped. Don't think it will work out long term in the ratings. They have to keep it on a night when there is no real football to watch, IMO. Incidentally, when Smash ran in the 2 point conversion, I reflexively cheered as if it were a real game. I like the show.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
imho, dramatic footballl is more exciting because the characters are built and you root for it more.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I found myself getting pretty excited during the game when Sarecen went in as well. Like has been said...its dramatic football. We know the characters now and have a reason to root for them...which makes the show all the more interesting to me.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

I've never been a football fan and I'm not one to watch a show about high school kids, but I too absolutely love this show. There's something very real in the relationship of the coach and his wife, personified by last weeks "under the kitchen table talk". Actually, the more I think about it, most of the relationships on this show have this same feeling of realness.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks