What's new

Friday Night Lights season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
people HTF constitutes a VERY small percentage of actual buyers of DVD. most people do try things they might not otherwise try. if not, now they will eventually get around to it. it's the perfect opportunity to try. i doubt they will hold out forever.

i'm sure there are people, for example, who don't like SF, so they will NEVER watch any SF no matter how good it is. same with FNL. if they dislike sports they won't ever check the show out if someone doesn't force them to see the light. but again, just like HTF audiences, they are just not the norm.

the avg. joe audience's tastes are actually very wide and varied.

AlexSchwarz

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I have a question: Could I like this show?

I haven't seen anything of it yet because I do not live in the US, but I am considering making a blind purchase when the dvds come out. The thing is, I'm not a sports nut. Not to mention American Football. I just want good drama. So, is liking football a prerequisite to enjoying the show?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
alex, this show is NOT about football, it is about what it is like to live in a smalltown, USA but the themes about life, relationships and most of all family resonate with people from all over the world.

you DO NOT have to like football to enjoy this. i don't watch football myself (unless pats are in championship mode ;), but love this series. in fact, out of every single episode of FNL, there's probably only 1-10% football. i believe 20 of 22 eps had like 1% football scenes.

if you've watched the film called last picture show, it's sorta' like that as a series.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I agree you don't need to like football to enjoy the show, but I think it certainly helps. Especially when it comes to relating to the passion of the characters. Definitely not a prerequisite though.

So I see they're gonna be re-airing season one starting on Sunday night. Does anyone know if they'll be showing all episodes? Seems if they are, they would have to double up several times to get them all in before the new season starts in the fall.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> The thing is, I'm not a sports nut. Not to mention American Football. I just want good drama. So, is liking football a prerequisite to enjoying the show?

Here's my take: in England there was a show called Footballers Wives, set in the world of soccer. Being an American, I don't like or understand soccer, yet I really enjoyed that show, which is a Dynasty-type soap that just happened to have soccer players and their families as the main characters.

FNL is like that, although it's not a campy soap. People who like football will probably like it more, but it's not really about football...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Have you ever seen Rudy? If you have and liked it, that's similar to FNL. Football is a component, and seeing a part of the game at the end is a highlight, but it's the off-field drama that is the draw.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
As long as you don't hate football (or high school or Texas or really hot women), you should like this show.

LCD22

Screenwriter
NBC will premiere the second season on October 5 and are moving "Friday Night Lights'" timeslot to 9 pm.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That will give people more time to catch up with the DVDs. I figured it'd be starting in early September, and that the late August DVD date would make it tough to get up to speed.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I totally agree. She and Kyle Chandler have the best chemistry I have ever seen in a couple on TV.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Thank you, clueless Emmy voters - you've inspired me to start rewatching the episodes online.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Same here. It's how I got Buffy, Angel, 24, and several others. Just finished watching Friday Night Lights so thought I'd post in the season thread. Better then I thought, though there were somethings I didn't care for or thought went a touch too cliche.

But the acting was very, very good. I'm now unsure of where they go next year as far as who is the coach, maybe I missed that or didn't really understand the end meeting in the hotel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks