What's new

FOX 'S World Series Coverage... (1 Viewer)

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
Was horrible. They were constantly cutting to celebs in the stands. Then there was that stupid thing with the Sprint phones; they spent half their time talking to people on that. Meanwhile.... HELLO! THERE'S A BASEBALL GAME GOING ON AND IT JUST HAPPENS TO BE THE WROLD SERIES!!!!

The worst of it was game four when Rodger Clemens left the game. It was his last game. One the greatest pitchers to ever play the game, we will never see the likes of him again. It was an historical moment in the history of the game. In FOX'S promos for the World Series they boast about the greatest moments in sports happening on FOX. WELL THEY MISSED THIS GREAT MOMNET BECUASE AS CLEMENS LEFT THE FIELD TO A STANDING OVATION FOX CUT TO A FRIGGIN COMERCAIL. FOX'S coverage was travesty. Tim McCarver is an over critical has been hack.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Tim McCarver is the biggest nattering nabob of negativity.

I remember during the Arizona/St. Louis series last year the Cardinal forums were full of people complaining about how down McCarver was on the Cards and pro D'Backs. Then over on the D'Back forums it was the reverse.

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
Fox's coverage was not good. They even srewed up something they used to be really good at and thats the great camera angles... too bad most of them were focused on people in the stands this year. I wont even mention the cellphones and virtual ads.

And do we really need a 'whoosh' sound every time a graphic is displayed on screen.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
On WPLJ, a radio station in NY, Todd Pettingill(A DJ) was so mad a Joe Buck he wrote him a letter. He thought he was so anti-Yankee that it was ridiculous. And before anyone says it. The DJ thought the Marlins were a great team and deserved to win. He only read part of the letter. That part said that Jack Buck(Joe's dad who was a great broadcaster) may have been a true Cardinal fan. But, he would never allow his hatred of another team to come out when calling a game.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The worst part of World Series coverage was that it was on Fox. Why couldn't it have been on ABC where there's no good shows? Ce'este la vie...

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Fox's coverage was great.

I can't help but be overwhelmed with how good it was. And yes Chris, you are correct - the worst part was that the Yanks and Marlins were in it. A Cubs/Red sox game would have been much more "sexy". :laugh:

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I do not think there is a Sports Announcer alive who covers a national audience that will appease all fans.

I think Buck is one of the best play by play men in the business and he does a great job of handling these silly fox promos being shoved down his throat and dealing with boobs they give him in the booth like Brett Boone. He has a very good rapport with McCarver as well.

McCarver is clearly Old School and his indignity shows at times with how modern day players play the fundamentals of the game. Jeter is an Old School type of player so his admiration for him is abundantly clear.

I thought McCarver did a great job this post season, I was down on him myself the past few years but I thought he rebounded this year and had a great posteason.

Is Joe Morgan any better as an analyst? John Miller is solid, but Buck has a wittier edge for my tastes. Chris Berman is not a play by play men, Steve Lyons is just awful. Gary Thorne is absolutely terrific, but is not on a national baseball stage, but for Hockey he is awesome. Sean McD who calls the RedSox games is fantastic as well, but he is local. You can't please everyone.

Fos is a tough network to watch these games, but the NBA on NBC was just as bad with all those promos, one day in the future maybe we can pay to see a game that with no commercials.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the announcers and fan reaction to Brett Boone's work in the playoffs was the reason we didn't see him in the World Series. I always thought for the WS that their should be 3 people doing the commentating for the games. One would be a national announcer and the other two should be the announcers from the teams that are in the series. So for this series you might have Buck or McCarver and then a guy who does the Marlins games and a guy who does the Yankees games.

John_VI

Second Unit
Michael - I agree with about 90% of your post (#10) above. I love Gary Thorne and wish he could do more national games. And he is THE GREATEST hockey announcer I've ever heard (but admittedly, I've only heard a handful). I love Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. But where you and I part company is on Tim McCarver. I hate him. He makes SO many mistakes that it just drives me up the wall, and consequently I'm always yelling at the TV! TMcMD!!

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I think that McCarver is the BEST thing about Fox! The worst thing---STEVE LYONS. The man is a total moron, only famous for dropping his pants during a game. Fox's baseball coverage is the worst EVER.:angry:

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
That part said that Jack Buck(Joe's dad who was a great broadcaster) may have been a true Cardinal fan.
Don't forget that Tim McCarver played for the Cardinals 1959-1969 (including two World Series victories), and 1973 & 74. So if the Cards ever make it to the World Series with Buck and McCarver in the booth; a lot of people would be unhappy.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My beef was with the announcers during the LCS. When both the Cubs and Red Sox were 5 outs away from winning, the announcers said so, a cardinal no-no, and jinxed them both. Fox should fire all the guys that did this--I'm not sure who exactly the guilty parties were, but they can blame them for the low ratings for the WS.:thumbsdown:

Only partly ;)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I think the coverage was pretty poor, which is typical for Fox.

Most annoying to me was the little graphic that appeared on the screen everytime a replay was aired....I believe it was one of those little AOL men, but I'm not positive about that.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Nah, it was good coverage and hope Fox gets more sports premieres. Certainly having bad coverage is not typical for Fox. If anything, they're keeping the major networks on their toes. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks