What's new

FOX: Please no colorized DVDs! (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
IMHO there is no problem with giving the consumer a choice.... This is a good thing!!!

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
Certain things shouldn't be a choice...but the original version is available. It's still better than a "no choice" situation in favor of the colorized version.

Thanks, peter!

rhett

Supporting Actor
I think colorized versions should only be allowed if the film is amateur in its production values. If the lighting and use of black and whites has no real subtext or added dimensions to the film, I think it is tolerable to add color. And especially since these are kids films I think that makes it all the more acceptable. I don't think any 7 year old kid is going to see "gee, the use of blue instead of black just really puts a damper on the film for me."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Joshua Clinard said:
Thanks Peter. I am glad to hear that the B&W versions will be on the disc. I do wish that the colorized versions would be left off completely though. I believe they are an abomination. It is worse than pan & scan.
Sorry to revive a thread that's been scrolling off for about a week and a half, but I have a thought or two about it.
First of all, in Video Store Magazine, there's a 2-page ad in last week's issue (12/2-12/8) that shows the covers for Heidi, Dimples, & Bright Eyes. The fronts shown, if accurate, don't really cover the idea that there are "Black & White and Colorized Versions On Each Disc!", as the text at the bottom of the ad states. I really hope there's a sticker or SOMEthing that pushes the fact.
Second, in answer to what Joshua said above, I am thinking that the fact of colorization is now a part of film history. Not a cool fact, mind you, but a fact.
When colorization first started, I was a teenager or maybe even a pre-teen. I was thrilled. I thought it was cool.
After watching a few of them, I broke ranks from the rest of my thrilled family and hated the idea. Why bother? The films were fine in B&W. My mom and dad soon followed my line of thinking. I don't believe my sister or brother ever came to the same conclusions, but I haven't asked in years! :D
But loads of films got colorized, thanks to Ted Turner, among others. It would be a loss to never have colorized films recorded to DVD. I know that this has already happenned before, but to my knowledge it was on discs with JUST the colorized version.
Isn't having both available on the same disc more desirable? Then someone like me can have an example of a colorized film handy, but without sacrificing the original version in the process.
I hope that this rambling made some sense. At least you can see where I'm going with it. ;)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'm glad to hear these films are also being released in b&w. That said, colorization is an abominable practice and anyone who prefers it is quite frankly, a fool. If you don't like b&w, stick to films that were originally shot in color! Also, where are these mythical children that won't watch b&w films? I think they exist only in the minds of marketing executives. My nephews, ages 7 and 10, visited recently and I watched the Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein dvd with them. Neither one said a word about the film being in b&w. As a matter of fact, they quite enjoyed it. I do know some people who don't like b&w, but they are all older and should know better...

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,
I read with interest your comment with reference to anyone preferring colorization to being " a fool ", and that if one doesn't enjoy B&W, one must be old and doesn't know better. I'm located in the Powell Center on Old Troy Pike in Huber Heights, a mere stone's throw from your house; why not stop down and we can discuss your statements. E-mail me at [email protected] if interested.
Bob Engleman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks