What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (2 Viewers)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
Thanks Ken. Let me know how YOUNG BESS measures up. I don't have the archive disc- what are its flaws? By the way, do you know if any country has ever released the following 1958 movies THE NAKED EARTH (Richard Todd) and I ACCUSE (Jose Ferrer). Cheers, Mike

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
"Vivacious Lady". The Spanish DVD release of this James Stewart/Ginger Rogers comedy has forced Spanish subtitles when listening to the English soundtrack.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
I have just spotted These Three has been released in Spain. What a shame this excellent William Wyler film is hardly ever seen nowadays. Can anyone please comment on the quality and most importantly whether the Spanish subtitles can be switched off?

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Getting DVDs from Spain is confusing to say the least.
Certain distributors seem to carry certain titles that others dont.
I use Starscafe because they offer a good service;yet there are lots of
Spain released DVDs that they do not carry.Also they have been incredibly
quiet lately with no new vintage stuff on their website for quite some time now.
The good news is that Universal in Spain are stepping up their vintage output.
Until recently they only concentrated on classical titles;De Mille and the like.
Now they seem to be releasing more mainstream films.
"The Midnight Story" (a.k.a. "Appointment With A Shadow") is soon to be released
in Spain and several Westerns including "The Ballad Of Josie"

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
It is not listed at Starscafe but Fox's UNDER TWO FLAGS with Ronald Colman and Claudette Colbert has been released in Spain. Planning to get one soon via a friend who lives in Madrid. An Ebay.co.uk seller offers copies.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Up until recently I have had an excellent servive from Starscafe but things have
gone steadily downhill recently.

Firstly they have the annoying practice of charging your card before they send
the DVDs. (I am still waiting for a copy of "The Oregon Trail" despite the fact they charged me for it on August 11th)

Also there are a growing number of titles that they do not seem to stock i.e.:

DEVILS DOORWAY
SECRET OF CONVICT LAKE
THE RAWHIDE YEARS
THE MIDNIGHT STORY
RED SKIES OF MONTANA
THE SECOND TIME AROUND

Even more worrying as these are all major studio/Impulso releases.

They also do not reply to e-mails!

Does anyone out there in HTF land have details of an alternate supplier as
there is a constant flow of classic films coming out of Spain.

I recently purchased the Spanish DVD "Cattle Empire" its a magnificent transfer.

Unfortunately the Spanish copy of "Montana Belle" is Black & White" but it is a decent
looking transfer;hopefully the colour version will surface sometime from the
Warner Archive.Film is nowhere as bad as its reputation and has a cast to warm the
heart of any classic Western fan.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I fly to Bareclona today. I'll be going to FNAC and El Corte Ingles. I did see that THE GREAT IMPOSTER has just been released in Spain.

speedspin

Agent
Real Name
Dafydd Jones

Originally Posted by benbrigade
Up until recently I have had an excellent servive from Starscafe but things have
gone steadily downhill recently.

Also there are a growing number of titles that they do not seem to stock i.e.:

DEVILS DOORWAY
SECRET OF CONVICT LAKE
THE RAWHIDE YEARS
THE MIDNIGHT STORY
RED SKIES OF MONTANA
THE SECOND TIME AROUND

Even more worrying as these are all major studio/Impulso releases.

It's very disappointing if Starscafe are starting to slide. But on the point of the titles you listed that they don't offer (yet)...isn't that just an example of the previously discussed exclusivity at other sites for a few months? Or have you noticed that this is a separate issue to that?

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Yes, I thought those titles highlighted by John were simply ECI exclusives - I'd expect most or all to go on general release in due course.
I can't comment on the e-mail issue as I've had no need to contact them myself of late. Charging on receipt of orders can be annoying, but I think they've always done that.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
I have never had a problem with them charging my card in advance because their parcels have always arrived so quickly.
They have e-mailed me to say they do not know when "The Oregon Trail" is back in stock.

I do hope that they carry the recent Universal titles now that Universal in Spain seem to be releasing some great Fifties films on DVD.

Colin could you please explain what an ECI exclusive is or at least give me a link to ECI.

Thank you.

Speaking of Universal it surely can only be a matter of time before Universal in the States go down the MOD/DVDR route especially as Sony are now doing this!

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Thanks Colin,

Silly me.........I did not realise ECI = El Corte Ingles.

I take it that stuff on their website does not often filter through to other companies
until sometime later.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I'm not sure of the exact timing John, but some (not all) Impulso releases start out as exclusives at ECI and usually show up on the open market within a few months.

Corkiemike

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Richards
FNAC have a good easy to use westerns site, they have THE RAWHIDE YEARS listed, plus the new Randolph Scott from Warner Bros., THUNDER OVER THE PLAINS. Unfortunately mail is high, unless I misread it, they ask just over 10 euros for one DVD to UK.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Hi Mike. I haven't used FNAC for some time now, but I remember their service was fine. The only thing that put me off was, as you say, their fairly steep shipping.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
New Fox/Impulso titles in October and November(ECI exclusives at the moment - I think):

October (left titles out already available in the UK or States):

King of the Khyber Rifles (1953) (El Capitan King)
The Adventures of Hajji Baba (1954) (Amazonas Negras)
The Big Gamble (1961) (La Gran Apuesta)

And on November 3rd (see above):

Lydia Bailey (1952) (Revuelta en Haiti)

on November 17th (see above):

Rolling Thunder (1977) (El Expreso de Corea)

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Coming in December:

White Witch Doctor (1953) - Henry Hathaway

Eight on the Lam (1967) - George Marshall

Cold Turkey (1971) - Norman Lear

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Is there any sign of Impulse releasing any more Fox Preminger titles like THE 13TH LETTER and CENTENNIAL SUMMER? They have done FOREVER AMBER.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks