What's new

Fox is still releasing a lot of classic in Spain, never released in USA (1 Viewer)

Corkiemike

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Richards
Yes, paypal is an option with Starscafe. I've only had 4 DVDs from them during 2010, but each time I've paid by paypal.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I'm another who's always used PayPal with Starscafe. BTW, I logged in today to see if anything seemed amiss and got no warning messages or the like. Odd.

Corkiemike

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Richards
Hello Colin
Well that's good news. I'm using the latest Windows Internet Explorer as my browser, are you using the same ?
I did actually ignore the warning this morning, and when I did the internet address bar at top of page turned red. Is that red for danger, I don't know.
I have found out that it could simply be that Starscafe haven't renewed their security certificate with Windows Explorer, or the extreme problem is, they have security issues with their site.
Hopefuly more readers will say they have no problems logging in.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Their certificate is valid till November 18th. Tried both Firefox and IE - no security warnings.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Just logged into my Starscafe account;no security warnings everything seem OK.

Mike, as you seem to be a fellow UK Western fanatic do you know what the quality is like on the Spanish edition of "The Lone Gun"

This new "Far West" collection from Suevia films; are they new remasters or merely the previous DVDs repackaged?

The screengrabs from "Smoke Signal" on the Mundodvd site look pretty decent so I have taken a chance on that one.

Corkiemike

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Richards
Thanks to all who responded and gave advice about Starscafe. It's probably now time to close this subject before the site turns into an Internet help forum. Just to get up to date, I've now ignored the warnings, and very easily changed my account details with Starscafe, but I will definately stick with the paypal option.

OK John, in reply to your questions; sorry I don't know quality of "The Lone Gun", I do know I have a poor copy on DVD transfered from tape, so will probably go for that one.
I remember reading replies on this site saying most Suevia DVDs were only average quality, so I've always avoided them, but they do have tempting titles.
I ordered Smoke Signal from DVDGO about 4 - 5 weeks ago, I'm still waiting for it.
from Mike

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
I can't say the screencaps referring to of Smoke Signal impressed me too much. However, captures only tell a part of the tale so any feedback on the title would be much appreciated if/when you guys get hold of it.

benbrigade

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
john knight
Colin,

My copy of "Smoke Signal" is in the post from Starscafe;so I should receive it in the next day or so; I will keep you posted on the quality.

Speaking of Starscafe they really seem to have got ahead of the game recently with a whole host of new Universal titles on their website.

A couple of Douglas Sirks "Taza Son Of Cochise"; which I have been after for ages and "Sign Of The Pagan"
Also "A Man Called Gannon" a rather obscure title which is a remake of the far superior "Man Without A Star" I do seem to recall that film had some of the most violent fist-fights
ever seen in a Western.

Starscafe also seem to have caught up with already released titles like "Secret Of
Convict Lake" and "The Midnight Story"

Corkiemike

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Richards
Yes, please tell us about Smoke Signal, because you will be viewing your copy before I get mine.
I eventually cancelled my order with DVDGO, because everytime I checked their site it said "in process" . It took me 2 emails to finally cancel.
It seems DVDGO have now joined forces with a Spanish online book dealer to help improve their service, we'll see.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I am interested to hear about the Spanish transfers of the following titles (and if they are anamorphic): ONE DESIRE (Anne Baxter),SIGN OF THE PAGAN (Jack Palance), NIGHT PEOPLE (Gregory Peck) and THE SECOND TIME AROUND (Debbie Reynolds). Thanks, Mike

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Lionel, I have the Spanish ONE DESIRE and it is anamorphic 2.20 (no, it's not a CinemaScope film so it wouldn't be 2.35). It's an excellent transfer, too.

Among the other Spanish titles I have acquired are:

Bengal Brigade (Rock Hudson, Arlene Dahl)
Boy On A Dolphin (Alan Ladd, Sophia Loren)
The Egyptian (Victor Mature, Jean Simmons)
Fate Is The Hunter (Glenn Ford, Nancy Kwan)
Flim Flam Man (George C. Scott, Sue Lyon)
Games (Simone Signoret, James Caan)
Interlude (June Allyson, Rossano Brazzi)
The Lion (William Holden, Capucine)
Midnight Story (Tony Curtis)
Pleasure Seekers (Ann-Margret, Carol Lynley)
Rains Of Ranchipur (Lana Turner, Richard Burton)
Revolt Of Mamie Stover (Jane Russell)
Tender Is The Night (Jennifer Jones, Jason Robards)
Two Flags West (Jeff Chandler, Linda Darnell)
Way Of A Gaucho (Gene Tierney, Rory Calhoun)
Woman's World (Clifton Webb, Lauren Bacall)

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Thomas T
Lionel, I have the Spanish ONE DESIRE and it is anamorphic 2.20 (no, it's not a CinemaScope film so it wouldn't be 2.35). It's an excellent transfer, too.

Among the other Spanish titles I have acquired are:

Bengal Brigade (Rock Hudson, Arlene Dahl)
Boy On A Dolphin (Alan Ladd, Sophia Loren)
The Egyptian (Victor Mature, Jean Simmons)
Fate Is The Hunter (Glenn Ford, Nancy Kwan)
Flim Flam Man (George C. Scott, Sue Lyon)
Games (Simone Signoret, James Caan)
Interlude (June Allyson, Rossano Brazzi)
The Lion (William Holden, Capucine)
Midnight Story (Tony Curtis)
Pleasure Seekers (Ann-Margret, Carol Lynley)
Rains Of Ranchipur (Lana Turner, Richard Burton)
Revolt Of Mamie Stover (Jane Russell)
Tender Is The Night (Jennifer Jones, Jason Robards)
Two Flags West (Jeff Chandler, Linda Darnell)
Way Of A Gaucho (Gene Tierney, Rory Calhoun)
Woman's World (Clifton Webb, Lauren Bacall)
Which of these are anamorphic?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"Which of these are anamorphic?"

TWO FLAGS WEST and WAY OF A GAUCHO are of the pre-wide screen era so they are properly 1.33. Of the others:

BENGAL BRIGADE is full screen.
BOY ON A DOLPHIN is 4X3 wide screen 2.35.
THE EGYPTIAN is anamorphic wide screen 2.35.
FATE IS THE HUNTER is anamorphic wide screen 2.35
FLIM FLAM MAN is anamorphic wide screen 2.35
GAMES is anamorphic wide screen 2.35.
INTERLUDE is anamorphic wide screen 2.35
THE LION is 4X3 wide screen 2.35.
MIDNIGHT STORY is 4X3 wide screen 2.35.
PLEASURE SEEKERS is anamorphic wide screen 2.35.
RAINS OF RANCHIPUR is anamorphic wide screen 2.35.
REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER is anamorphic wide screen 2.35.
TENDER IS THE NIGHT is 4X3 wide screen 2.35.
WOMAN'S WORLD is 4X3 wide screen 2.35.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
From their description, Secret of Convict Lake is only in Spanish, with both spanish and english subtitles. Could that be correct?

Originally Posted by benbrigade
Colin,

My copy of "Smoke Signal" is in the post from Starscafe;so I should receive it in the next day or so; I will keep you posted on the quality.

Speaking of Starscafe they really seem to have got ahead of the game recently with a whole host of new Universal titles on their website.

A couple of Douglas Sirks "Taza Son Of Cochise"; which I have been after for ages and "Sign Of The Pagan"
Also "A Man Called Gannon" a rather obscure title which is a remake of the far superior "Man Without A Star" I do seem to recall that film had some of the most violent fist-fights
ever seen in a Western.

Starscafe also seem to have caught up with already released titles like "Secret Of
Convict Lake" and "The Midnight Story"

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
The Secret of Convict Lake is OK. It is a very good copy. It includes the original English version with no subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks