What's new

format for CD (1 Viewer)

Bill Polley

Second Unit
what are the differences between DVD-A and SACD, and how does HDCD fit in? I ask because I just realized that the Rotel 1066 offers HDCD decoding. I take it the HDCD signal is digital 2 channel while the others are 5.1 channel outputted to 6 discrete analog channels. Am I right? Also, are these formats at all compatible? Thanks

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
HDCD claims to offer 20-bit resolution in a backwards compatible way using regular CDs. Count me as a skeptic, particularly if HDCD is taking its bits from the part of the stream reserved for audio.

DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD are new formats that offer higher resolution, but that are encumbered by DRM.

DVD-Audio uses multi-channel PCM (compressed in a lossless way using Meridian Lossless Packing) at sampling rates of up to 192 KHz and sample sizes of up to 24 bits. This can be seen as a followon to 44.1 KHz / 16-bit PCM on CDs.

Super Audio CD uses a different technique entirely, where there is a really huge "sampling rate", but each sample is just a single bit saying "nudge the voltage up a tiny bit" or "nudge the voltage down a tiny bit".

DVD-Audio discs are not compatible with CD players. They can contain DVD-Video tracks for backwards compatibility with DVD-Video-only players.

Super Audio CD discs can be SACD-only, or can hold a SACD layer and a CD layer (for backwards compatibility with CD and DVD-Video players).

The "technological protection" on DVD-Audio is plenty strong enough to interfere with legitimate copying, but if it's like the one on DVD-Video, it won't slow down commercial pirate plants. The system on Super Audio CD takes advantage of characteristics that are unique to each pressing plant, and commercial pirate plants that bit-copy Super Audio CDs will be in for a nasty surprise.

Another difference: DVD-Audio uses audible watermarking, which has the conflicting goals of being inaudible, and of being able to survive MP3 compresssion. One editorial compared this to "protecting" a crystal clear pool of fresh drinking water by taking a leak in it. The Super Audio CD system can use similar in-band schemes, but I think people have said that the SACD discs released to date do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks