What's new

Ford v Ferrari BluRay Problem (1 Viewer)

Robert McNay

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Hello,

My first post here and its unfortunately about a problem. I bought the basic BluRay version of the movie "Ford v Ferrari" yesterday. I popped it into my LG BluRay player today to watch it. The disc read seemingly okay, it started and the 20th Century Fox logo and music played, then the screen went black and...... nothing. The whole player was locked up, I had to power the unit off, then power it back up with the tray open/close button. I inspected the disc, no scratches, buff marks or anything on it.

The disc plays in my computer BluRay drives, but a PC optical drive will play anything short of a crack or major scratch.

I have around 100 BluRays in my video library and none had a play problem, This is the first I have encountered.

Has anyone else had a problem with the Ford v Ferrari BluRay playing on their machines.

Thanks.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just spitballing- did you immediately try to play another BluRay in the LG player after having problems with FvF?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
If I had to guess, I'd say that the player needs a firmware update. You can probably download it from LG's website.

It could indeed be nothing more than that-- sometimes when I couldn't get a Blu to play on my PS3, the PS3 would simply indicate the need for a firmware update; I would download the relevant firmware, put it on a memory stick, follow the instructions, and presto, back working.

Robert McNay

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Good morning.

Thanks for the replies.

I hooked the player up to my home network, made sure it saw the internet, then had it check for updates. It said none were available.

Left it connected and dropped in Ford v Ferrari (Fox), player locked up. Tried Blade Runner 2049 (Warner) and it played fine. Then tried Casablanca (Warner) and it was okay. Then did Grand Budapest Hotel (Fox) and it played okay. Tried Ford v Ferrari again, let it sit for 10 minutes, player was totally locked up. Had to shut it off and use the tray open/close to turn it back on to get the disc out.

I'm stumped.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Good morning.

Thanks for the replies.

I hooked the player up to my home network, made sure it saw the internet, then had it check for updates. It said none were available.

Left it connected and dropped in Ford v Ferrari (Fox), player locked up. Tried Blade Runner 2049 (Warner) and it played fine. Then tried Casablanca (Warner) and it was okay. Then did Grand Budapest Hotel (Fox) and it played okay. Tried Ford v Ferrari again, let it sit for 10 minutes, player was totally locked up. Had to shut it off and use the tray open/close to turn it back on to get the disc out.

I'm stumped.

I know this may sound silly, but have you tried cleaning the disc? I've had discs in the past that looked perfectly fine, but wouldn't play until I'd cleaned them with a damp microfiber cloth. Certainly worth a try if for nothing else than to rule it out as a possible problem.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I agree with dpippel I have had this problem happen to me and after cleaning the disc it plays fine.

Robert McNay

Agent
Real Name
Robert
Okay, update.

Contacted Fox Home video, they said that there have been no problems reported.

Then I went to LG about updates. They said that the BD370 firmware I had was out of date and since I wasn't getting online updates, he would send me the instructions and files to do it manually. He asked for the exact model number and other info. I told him it was an LG BD370V. He was quiet for a bit then asked if I bought the unit in the US. I told him yes, from Amazon and the exact date (I'm OCD about receipts on this sort of stuff). He told me that he couldn't find that model in his computer system, only the BD370. He sent me the files to try to update it manually using the BD370 firmware. I tried it but it failed. I stopped there because I had errands to run.

I had to stop at Best Buy and I wandered through the Home Theater department as I left. I noticed that had a floor model LG BD player for $30 off ($49 instead of $79) with full warranty. I figured what the heck and bought it and brought it home, hooked it up and, voila!, the BR of FvF played just fine.

Thank you for all the responses, tips, hints and such. You folks are great.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Okay, update.

Then I went to LG about updates. They said that the BD370 firmware I had was out of date and since I wasn't getting online updates, he would send me the instructions and files to do it manually. He asked for the exact model number and other info. I told him it was an LG BD370V. He was quiet for a bit then asked if I bought the unit in the US. I told him yes, from Amazon and the exact date (I'm OCD about receipts on this sort of stuff). He told me that he couldn't find that model in his computer system, only the BD370. He sent me the files to try to update it manually using the BD370 firmware. I tried it but it failed. I stopped there because I had errands to run.

I had to stop at Best Buy and I wandered through the Home Theater department as I left. I noticed that had a floor model LG BD player for $30 off ($49 instead of $79) with full warranty. I figured what the heck and bought it and brought it home, hooked it up and, voila!, the BR of FvF played just fine.

Not a problem-- glad we were able to help you!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Okay, update.

Welcome Aboard Robert. Now that you have your player working - how about joining in on the fun. Love to hear your views on hardware - movies - TV - life...;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks