What's new
World Wide Stereo

Floor-standing Speaker Question? (1 Viewer)

Robbieedr

Auditioning
Real Name
Robbie
Hi Everyone,
Brand new to the website and already loving it!

Anyways, I have a 7.1 Onkyo HTIB. The subwoofer recently died, so I just replaced it with a brand new Polk Audio PSW110. Sounds amazing by the way!

The Polk on the back besides the RCA, it has outputs for wires...and I just got today one Klipsch RF-42 II Reference Series floor-standing speaker...can I connect this speaker to the subwoofer? instead of trying to wire it directly to my receiver?

My receiver is hidden and it will be a pain to connect directly.

Thank you for your help! Any tips or ideas are welcome.

728x90

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yes, you can connect the speaker the sub that way, but there's two reason not to.
(1) It will take drain power from the sub. Low frequencies take a lot of power and it doesn't appear the sub has a lot of spare watts.
(2) More importantly, the receiver will not be able to include the new speaker when it does the auto calibration. If you have the SPL meter and want to do that yourself, this is not a problem, but not many people do that these days. And not calibrating the speaker will give you less than ideal sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Actually...connecting the speaker to the sub via speaker wire...while the sub is connected RCA means the tower speaker will do nothing.The only way the high level(the speaker terminals) works is if you use the in and out. That sub probably has an 80hz crossover built into the high level anyway.

Robbieedr

Auditioning
Real Name
Robbie
Thank you to both for the prompt response. As soon as I get home from work will try and see how it goes. I'll update the conversation.

Thank you. I really appreciate the help.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Sam makes a good point, you can connect the speakers to the sub, but yo have to run straight speaker to the sub to do it (not the LFE line).

So if you previously ran the sub with the standard RCA sub cable you'd have to find access to your receiver anyway.

Robbieedr

Auditioning
Real Name
Robbie
Thank you everyone for your help. I tried and couldn't achieved anything. I decided next week to get another Klipsch RF-42 II Reference to have the pair and upgrade my receiver from a 7.1 to a 9.1. Hopefully I can get a good deal on the upcoming black friday.

Any receiver you guys recommend?

Thanks for the help! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks