What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Flipper's coming to Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Now, if we can just get a Blu release of the original Dallas I'd pretty much be set!

(As an aside).

If the original Dallas were to be released on bluray, lets hope that Warner Archive releases it. At least with WA, most likely they won't heavily compress the video.

In a hypothetical scenario of Warner outsourcing to somebody like Mill Creek, I wouldn't be surprised if they cram 7 or 8 (or 9) episodes onto a single dual-layer bluray disc.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Weird about Season 3 not being available, but we'll see how that pans out.

What Randy has been alluding to is that shows are many times transferred one season at a time to determine market value before committing to something that may not payoff in the end. Season 1 was transferred and released as normal pressed disks. Season 2 was transferred and went the MOD DVD-R route suggesting season 1 may not have sold as well as hoped. MGM stopped after season 2 further suggesting sales were still below expectation. As a result, season 3 was probably never transferred to a higher format.

Olive, who is relatively new to the TV market, is probably taking a chance on bringing flipper to a blu-ray release hoping it will do better than it did on DVD. The risk and cost is lower for the first two seasons because the HD transfers already seem to exist. If season three HD masters already existed then we would probably be seeing all seasons released, but since season three has not been announced then an obvious conclusion is because of the additional cost to transfer it to HD. I imagine if the first two seasons sell well enough in blu-ray the third season will get the go ahead to be transferred, but if not it will most likely stall just as the DVDs did.

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
As with The Rockford Files movies not expecting the two Flipper movies to come to Blu when the upcoming seasons do so my brand new copies have just arrived.

Preferred the older hard to get separate single disc releases to the later double-bill two disc release.

Attachments

• IMG_8469.JPG
    IMG_8469.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_8470.JPG
    IMG_8470.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 69

Jimmyr1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
Just received both sets. After a quick spot check the video quality is very good. Colors are vibrant. No remastering on these. So dust and scratches are evident. 10 -25 minute episodes per disk. Despite the dust, this is the best the series has ever looked.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Any word on Season 3 coming out?
Its never been remastered so Season 1 and 2 will need to sell very well for Olive to consider spending the money to have them remastered. My gut feeling is this is all we will see of this show from Olive. They probably picked up the rights for these 2 seasons fairly cheap and it will sell ok for them but not enough for them to spend big bucks on season 3.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I bought both seasons and can't wait to receive them. The price did eventually go down on Amazon. Sales seem to be going well so we might see a season 3 release.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Its never been remastered so Season 1 and 2 will need to sell very well for Olive to consider spending the money to have them remastered. My gut feeling is this is all we will see of this show from Olive. They probably picked up the rights for these 2 seasons fairly cheap and it will sell ok for them but not enough for them to spend big bucks on season 3.

Randy, let's hope it will sell well so we can finally see another series properly completed and can check that off our listings as well.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Apropos of nothing ...
Mark Burnett and Roma Downey have started a new subchannel network called Light https://www.facebook.com/LightTVNetworks/

Among the offerings are Flipper and Sea Hunt (although not at the same time)
The Flipper episodes look to be new transfers and it is possible they MAY be able to due the transfers for season 3 which a third party such as Olive may not have to "finance" but "assist" with the costs (as an additional source of revenue) which would be borne by MGM/UA ...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Apropos of nothing ...
Mark Burnett and Roma Downey have started a new subchannel network called Light https://www.facebook.com/LightTVNetworks/

Among the offerings are Flipper and Sea Hunt (although not at the same time)
The Flipper episodes look to be new transfers and it is possible they MAY be able to due the transfers for season 3 which a third party such as Olive may not have to "finance" but "assist" with the costs (as an additional source of revenue) which would be borne by MGM/UA ...
True its possible and hopefully it will happen someday but the reason we never got a season 3 on DVD is because the sales were not good enough on season 1 and 2 so it all depends on how well these sell. If they sell only ok then Olive will not go out of their way to get season 3.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
It just made the most sense in this scenario to do it in this fashion and we can now chalk up another completed series to the growing list of such...cover art below...out in both formats on Halloween Day...
Flipper_S3_DVD.jpg

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Great news. I am been enjoying selected episodes recently it is a really great series. I wish they would make similar series today. I would be delighted to see Lassie released in full. Or maybe Daktari on Blu-ray....?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Lassie, well the big difference there is you are talking about 19 seasons, not three, but then its broken up by who Lassie was with at that time

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Lassie, well the big difference there is you are talking about 19 seasons, not three, but then its broken up by who Lassie was with at that time
It could be broken up into mega sets(I always say this, but I think it Is a good idea) the Timmy Years, Jeff years etc. But my favorite of them all, the Lassie "Alone years" late seasons- color episodes.

Lassie wandering alone through beautiful California countryside and small towns meeting strangers, or animals and helping right a wrong, or just saving the day. Seriously, TV cannot possibly be more Family friendly than that, and if this were on Blu-Ray? It would be breathtaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks