What's new

First time speaker builder (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Thank you very much. I am studying EE at Purdue University right now. Sophomore :) I actually normally live fairly close to you. I live in Rochester Hills. Anychance you can get my a job this summer ;)? Thanks for all your suggestions. I decided to build it from the ground up to practice many of the things I have learned so I don't want to use a kit or premade design.

Mike_Bauer

Grip
Then the breadboard is a good approach. Also, consider the use of what is called an L Pad. That is a device to do some signal attentuation to the driver(s). Years ago when I built a set I did the design of the crossover from scratch. I tried to stay in the middle of the specifications of the drivers so I did not stress them too much.

Doing your own design is fun but since you don't have the capability to test multiple values (unless you do it professionally) then it is a bit of a hit or miss proposition. 3/4 MDF is a good choice for the enclosures. Good luck and keep us informed

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
What are some ways that the speakers could be overpowered and could damage themselves, I want to make sure I stay well within tolerances. I am still reading a book on speaker building and no mention of this has come up yet

Seth_L

Screenwriter
If you put too much power to a driver you can push the voice coil out of the gap in the motor, or tear the spider, or overheat the driver's voice coil.

Mike_Bauer

Grip
All speakers will have listed specifications. It is a matter of aligning the speakers specs with the amplifiers specifications (Usually a receiver).

Speakers specs will usually be stated in watts and impedance. Watts will normally have a couple of values stated for watts, Normal specs, for example, 50 watts and then a peak value, i.e., 75 watts, both at a certain impedance, say 8 ohms. The peak value is used for brief periods of time, often in transients, for example a thunderclap during a rainstorm. So the speakers will have the physical capabilities to handle excess power for brief periods of time.

Amplifiers and amplifier sections (in receivers and integrated amplifiers) are also rated in watts and impedance. Match the two, the speakers and amps and you will be OK. Amplifier sections will usually be rated the same way. Avoid clipping, clipping is when a normally sinusoidal output becomes a square wave. The best way to avoid clipping is not turn the volume up too high and over drive the amplifier section. So make sure you have the necessary output power to match your listening tastes and choice in material. Speaker sensitivity or efficiency (measured as spl per watt of input) is another good measurement tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks