What's new

First time projector - Epson EMP-TW20 (1 Viewer)

Zeel

Auditioning
Real Name
Sami
Hi there. This is my first time on the forums and also the first time I'm considering getting a front projection set. The one I'm looking at is as in the title, available here:

[Hmm, sorry I'm not allowed to post a URL yet. But if you go to amazon.co.uk and search for EMP-TW20 Dreamio it'll come up.]

Brief specs:
Up to 1200 lumens
16:9 ratio, 854x480 pixels
1000:1 contrast

It's £378, so that's around $700 US. It's definitely entry level, but I think it should be alright for me: I'll be about 10 ft from the image, and mostly viewing in dark or low light conditions, image size in the 60-80" range. I just have a few questions for the seasoned viewers if I could!

At 28 dB in the quieter mode, isn't that still fairly loud? The unit will unforunately be sitting a couple of feet from my ear, and I'd guess that's about the same as quite a loud home PC is when the fan is going full speed (e.g. during gaming).

I'm planning just to project onto a (plain white painted) wall, rather than using a screen. Would this be sufficient?

I'll mostly be watching regular TV and DVDs, nothing high definintion. So am I right in thinking something like this unit would do the job for me? Image won't be too pixelated or dim in the above conditions? I could go upmarket a couple of hundred pounds (so up to maybe $1200 or so), but the above model seems like quite good value, and I'd need to go up at least that much to get a great deal of improvement, at least going by the specs alone.

If there's anything else I should watch out for or consider do please let me know, and thanks again.

- Sami

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That has a very low contrast ratio for starters, you can probably do better. What are your other choices in the same price range? Being in the USA, I have no idea what other projectors you have access to. Here in the USA, the best 480p projector is the Infocus IN72.

Zeel

Auditioning
Real Name
Sami
Hi Jim,

Thanks very much for the reply.

I should think any of the projectors available in the US would be available here, so that's not too much of an issue I hope.

I checked out the Infocus IN72 you recommended - seems good. It trades off some brightness (900 ANSI lumens vs 1,200 ANSI lumens) for contrast (2,000:1 vs 1,000:1), and is otherwise broadly similar, at least looking at the specs - although it may be quieter too.

Is contrast for brightness a good trade off? I only ask since the cheapest I can find the Infocus IN72 for is £590, compared with the £378 for the Epson. So there's quite a bit of difference in price (about $400 US). But as I'll be watching in low to very low lighting I suppose contrast is what I should be aiming for.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
why spend the 700 bucks on an entry level pj, save up a little more coin and go for the Epson Home 1080, youre half way there, you can get into for around the 2k mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks