What's new

First-run syndication (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
What are some of your favorite TV shows that were revived (or created) for broadcasting in first-run syndication? It seems to be a trend that was especially popular in the 1980s, when a host of sitcoms were brought back for a "second life" in first-run syndication after their network runs had concluded.

Any shows spring to mind for you that fit this pattern?

1658349892649.png

The above photo is a screenshot of Tiffany Brissette, the actress who played the title character on Small Wonder. The series was created specifically to air in first-run syndication, and produced 96 half-hour episodes between 1985 and 1989.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
When I think about a show being revived in first-run syndication, I typically about two sitcoms: It's a Living and Mama's Family.

It's a Living debuted on ABC in 1980, with a cast led by Susan Sullivan and Marian Mercer. Its first season produced 13 episodes and performed poorly in the ratings. It was brought back in 1981 (rebranded Making a Living) with Louise Lasser taking over the lead role, while the majority of the rest of the cast from the first year stuck around. This rendition didn't catch on either, and after 14 episodes, ABC cancelled the series in 1982 after 27 episodes had been produced. When series actress Ann Jillian exploded in popularity (she received a lot of press coverage surrounding her battle with breast cancer) and the producers saw the growing popularity of the syndicated market, they decided to resurface It's a Living in 1985. Ann Jillian agreed to do the first year in syndication (with top billing), but for the final three seasons, Barrie Youngfellow (who had been with the show from the start) took over top billing and Sheryl Lee Ralph was added to the ensemble. The show continued to produce episodes until it concluded in 1989. A total of 120 episodes (both network and syndicated) were produced between 1980 and 1989.

1658407075220.png

Mama's Family was the sitcom version of "The Family" sketches from The Carol Burnett Show. The sitcom premiered on NBC in 1983. Vicki Lawrence was back as Mama Harper, and Carol Burnett, Harvey Korman, and Betty White (who appeared in the sketches) would make guest appearances. Ken Berry and Dorothy Lyman were added to the cast, as were Rue McClanahan, Eric Brown, and Karin Argoud. After 35 episodes, the series was cancelled by NBC in 1984 because of low ratings. Carol Burnett's ex-husband, Joe Hamilton, decided to revive Mama's Family in first-run syndication in 1986, with Lawrence, Berry, and Lyman all reprising their roles. White and McClanahan had moved on to NBC's Golden Girls in 1985, and were no longer available, so Beverly Archer was brought aboard as Mama's best friend and the Harpers' neighbor, Iola. Replacing Brown and Argoud was Allan Kayser as Mama's rough-housing grandson Bubba. With the key cast in place, Mama's Family became the highest-rated sitcom in syndication before in concluded its run in 1990.

1658407455745.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Loved Mama's Family.

Other first run syndicated shows that come to mind are the Star Trek shows (TNG, DS9, Voyager), Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess, Freddy's Nightmares, Friday the 13th: The Series, and the music shows Solid Gold and Soul Train.

There was also Madame's Place, which I'd like on DVD.

1658411636886.png

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
From what I've read, Mama's Family and Charles in Charge (the Scott Baio comedy) were the two most profitable sitcoms in first-run syndication. The former its entire four-year-run in syndication as the highest-rated sitcom in first-run syndication. The latter was always close behind, even though between the network and syndicated versions, the show lost its entire cast except for Baio.

1658412408294.png

Let the record show that I've never seen Charles in Charge.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
From what I've read, Mama's Family and Charles in Charge (the Scott Baio comedy) were the two most profitable sitcoms in first-run syndication. The former its entire four-year-run in syndication as the highest-rated sitcom in first-run syndication. The latter was always close behind, even though between the network and syndicated versions, the show lost its entire cast except for Baio.

View attachment 145721

Let the record show that I've never seen Charles in Charge.
I didn't watch it myself but I believe Willie Aames was on for the entire run.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Loved Mama's Family.

Other first run syndicated shows that come to mind are the Star Trek shows (TNG, DS9, Voyager), Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, Xena: Warrior Princess, Freddy's Nightmares, Friday the 13th: The Series, and the music shows Solid Gold and Soul Train.

There was also Madame's Place, which I'd like on DVD.

View attachment 145719
ST Voyager was on UPN. It premiered with the network.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I didn't watch it myself but I believe Willie Aames was on for the entire run.
I sit corrected. Willie Aames was there for the entire run. I should've fact-checked that information before posting.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I haven't seen The New WKRP, but I'll have to give it a look. Are there any episodes online anywhere?

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
earth final conflict,was great with it's special effects,sci-fi action between good vs.evil,it was pure sci-fi genius,i also liked sheena,the lost world and highlander the series.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Ozzie's Girls was a follow-up of sorts to The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet, again starring real-life marrieds Ozzie and Harriet Nelson. A pilot was aired on September 10, 1972, and the series officially aired in first-run syndication from September 15, 1973, to September 1, 1974, producing 24 half-hour episodes.

Ozzie's Girls picks up where Ozzie and Harriet left off several years earlier. Borrowing from the Nelsons' real lives, Ozzie and Harriet take in two young girls Jennifer (later called "Brenda" in the TV series) (Brenda Sykes) and Susie (Susan Sennett). Much of the stories and humor were derived from Ozzie and Harriet raising their "kids" in a more liberal era when they had raised David and Ricky in a more conservative time.

The show was not very successful, but was ultimately axed because of Ozzie's declining health.

1659039125563.png

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Producer Sherwood Schwartz took his Gilligan's Island concept and gave it a Western spin and invented a new sitcom called Dusty's Trail. The new show aired 26 episodes in first-run syndication between September 11, 1973 and March 12, 1974.

The premise of the show centered around Dusty (Bob Denver), a shotgun lookout for wagon master Mr. Callahan (Forrest Tucker), as they get lost from their wagon train in the Old West. As explained in the opening credits, "Dusty's the reason for their plight. Thanks to Dusty, nothing's right." Also among the abandoned wagon train are Mr. and Mrs. Brookhaven (Ivor Francis and Lynn Wood), wealthy bankers, the book-smart Andy (Bill Cort), dance hall girl Lulu (Jeannine Riley), and farm girl Betsy (Lori Saunders).

Riley and Saunders had previously appeared on Petticoat Junction. Riley was the first actress to play blonde-haired Billie Jo from 1963 to 1965, and Saunders was the second and final actress to play Bobbie Jo from 1965 to 1970.

There have been several comparisons made between Dusty's Trail and Gilligan's Island.

For instance, the characters:

Dusty -- the Gilligan of the batch. He is bumbling, but well-meaning.
Mr. Callahan -- the Skipper of the batch. The leader of the wagon train and Dusty's closest friend.
Mr. Brookhaven -- the millionaire of the batch. Wealthy and self-centered, he is very entitled.
Mrs. Brookhaven -- the Lovey of the batch. She's the spoiled and pampered society wife.
Lulu -- the movie star of the batch. She's attractive and sultry and often used as a decoy in jams.
Betsy -- the Mary Ann of the batch. She's cute and nice and the mother hen of the group.
Andy -- the professor of the batch. Smart and handsome, he is the brains behind the project.

1659039747793.png

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I was a big, big fan of The Muppet Show in the late '70s. It was so entertaining. I particularly liked the idea of the rotating guest hosts, because if someone didn't click with you, next week would be a reset of sorts.

Episode 417 with Mark Hamill was a lot of fun, with the Star Wars parody "Pigs In Space" being a favorite from that episode. One of the my favorite episodes from the series' entire run.

- Walter.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
the muppet show,was perfect family entertainment for it's time,if you like muppets doing skits,i'm not gonna affend everyone,
but it was pure family entertainment for its time,but now these days it seems very rare in the modern era.but in the 70's,it was different.

Robert McNay

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I haven't seen The New WKRP, but I'll have to give it a look. Are there any episodes online anywhere?
I don't know, I never looked real hard to see because I'd rather have the series on disc.
Of the original cast, Frank Bonner, Gordon Jump and Richard Sanders returned. Tawny Kitaen replaced Loni Anderson. Myklti Williamson replaced Gary Sandy. Howard Hessman return later in it's run.
The series lasted 47 episodes, so about 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks