What's new

It's a Living (1 Viewer)

Caproni

Second Unit
Real Name
DRB
IT'S A LIVING is a workplace comedy that aired on ABC from October 30, 1980 to June 11, 1982, producing just twenty-seven episodes. It was cancelled because of low ratings, but it was brought back in first-run syndication in 1985. The series produced another ninety-three episodes from September 28, 1985 to April 8, 1989.

There was a seemingly revolving door of cast members on IT'S A LIVING over its six seasons. (The picture I have below is the five women who played waitresses during the thirteen-episode first season.) At different times, the cast included the likes of Susan Sullivan, Louise Lasser, and Ann Jillian, while mainstays were Barrie Youngfellow, Marian Mercer, and Gail Edwards.

I started watching IT'S A LIVING when I found it on Tubi one day.

Any fans?

1622745754147.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I watched it during its original airings - had crushes on Ann Jillian, Susan Sullivan, and Wendy Schaal. I found it on Amazon a few months back and revisited it to find it was still OK with lots of eye candy. Fortunately I watched S1 and most of S2 before Amazon pulled it. I'd love to have a copy on DVD though.

Caproni

Second Unit
Real Name
DRB
I watched it during its original airings - had crushes on Ann Jillian, Susan Sullivan, and Wendy Schaal. I found it on Amazon a few months back and revisited it to find it was still OK with lots of eye candy. Fortunately I watched S1 and most of S2 before Amazon pulled it. I'd love to have a copy on DVD though.
I enjoy the show most when Ann Jillian is still apart of the cast. To me, it isn't quite IT'S A LIVING without her wisecracks. It was still good with Sheryl Lee Ralph, but I just don't like it quite as good.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I really like that first year in syndication, when Ann Jillian was still there and Crystal Bernard joined the cast as the naive waitress. The chemistry was excellent that year. It was still good after that, but as Caproni said - wasn’t quite the same without Ann Jillian.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Cassie (Ann Jillian) was the "Flo" of this show. When she left, it just wasn't the same. The rest of the cast were talented, but Ann just had that "it" factor that made the show special. I do wish Seasons 4-6 would show up on some streaming platform though.

Caproni

Second Unit
Real Name
DRB
I really like that first year in syndication, when Ann Jillian was still there and Crystal Bernard joined the cast as the naive waitress. The chemistry was excellent that year. It was still good after that, but as Caproni said - wasn’t quite the same without Ann Jillian.
Like many other TV shows, IT'S A LIVING was defined by certain cast members, in this case Ann Jillian. I don't think about this show without thinking about Ann Jillian.

I'd agree that the first season in syndication was the best year. With Ann still around and Crystal Bernard apart of the cast, it was stellar that year. Too bad Ann wouldn't commit to more than one season in syndication. She should've stuck around.

Caproni

Second Unit
Real Name
DRB
Cassie (Ann Jillian) was the "Flo" of this show. When she left, it just wasn't the same. The rest of the cast were talented, but Ann just had that "it" factor that made the show special. I do wish Seasons 4-6 would show up on some streaming platform though.
That's very well said, and certainly very true. And just as ALICE was never the same without Polly Holliday, IT'S A LIVING was never the same without Ann Jillian. They were still good shows, but their "it" factor was gone.

Caproni

Second Unit
Real Name
DRB
I must admit that a liked the first season of IT'S A LIVING with Susan Sullivan as head waitress Lois. I've always been a big fan of Sullivan's from FALCON CREST, where she played Maggie for eight years. She provided a sarcastic wit that I found enjoyable.

I'm not a big fan of the Louise Lasser episodes, who was brought in as Maggie after ABC left Sullivan go after the first season. They're still some good ones in there, but I don't really like Lasser in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quirkyperks
Recent bookmarks