What's new

First-run syndication (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I don't know, I never looked real hard to see because I'd rather have the series on disc.
Of the original cast, Frank Bonner, Gordon Jump and Richard Sanders returned. Tawny Kitaen replaced Loni Anderson. Myklti Williamson replaced Gary Sandy. Howard Hessman return later in it's run.
The series lasted 47 episodes, so about 2 years.
But don't Loni Anderson and Gary Sandy turn up in guest roles? I know there used to be episodes of the show with Loni guesting on it online.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
But don't Loni Anderson and Gary Sandy turn up in guest roles? I know there used to be episodes of the show with Loni guesting on it online.
Loni Anderson and Tim Reid made an appearance each. Gary Sandy and Jan Smithers never appeared. Carol Bruce also appeared as Mama Carlson as well as Edie McClurg as Herb's wife.

Last edited:

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
sheena that stars gena lee nolin,is a great show,with its special effects,and human drama mixed heart messages to every person in every way.and also sci-fi comic book action.this is a great tv show,from the 2000's.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Fpor those in a Gilligan Island frame of mind ...this was fun and Classic Flix did a great job with the episodes, with the series It's About Time with two amazing tv pioneers Imogene Coca (show of shows) and Joe E Ross (Car 54).

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
High tide,the 90's action/drama,syndicated series,that stars rick springfield,was great.very underrated 90's television series.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I don't believe I've ever heard of this show before.
A former police officer,who along with he's brother solve cases in san diego,in the free time they surf.stars rick springfield and yannick bission,it's a lot like silk stalkings,it has that same setting and same plot.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Surprised nobody's mentioned What's Happening Now!!!, which ran from 1985-88. I was a huge fan of the original show and the syndicated continuation wasn't bad. If nothing else, it introduced us to the lovely Anne-Marie Johnson.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Time trax,a 90's syndicated series,is about a man who travels through time in the future,it's in the likes of quantum leap,but it's different,but the story and concept is still the same.
and nobody mentions out of the world,an 80's syndicated sitcom,that stars marreen flannigan and donna pescow,best for her roles on the 70's sitcom angie and the blockbuster smash saturday night fever,it's about a teenage girl who uses her powers,it inspired a teenage girl series on nickelodeon in the 90's, such as clarrisa explains it all and the secret world of alex mack.and jett jackson on the disney channel,in the 90's,traces back,to out of this world.they were the first one that did it

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
One of my favorite game shows was on during my childhood on this Earth (even though this broadcast of same from 1980 was before I was born): Tic Tac Dough w/Wink Martindale. Here's the broadcast I'm referring to, the continuation of a match between the great champion of that show Thom McKee and his challenger Pete Cooper:

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
The Cheap Show (1978) hosted by Dick Martin:

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
How about The joker's wild,the game show put the greatest comeback kid jack barry back ,after the quiz show scandals of the 1950's,when he hosted the controversial game show twenty one.in 1956.after jack passed away,it was bill cullen,which turns out to be his final game show.his been hosting game shows since 1946,and the game show was winner take all.

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
THE GREAT SPACE COASTER (1981-1986) a first-run syndicated children's show created by former Muppet designer Kermit Love, a fortuitous name for a man who built iconic Muppets Oscar the Grouch and Big Bird, but was not the namesake of The Frog known as Kermit. Other future Muppet talents included Jim Martin and Kevin Clash (former puppeteer for The Captain Kangaroo Show, and later the Muppet Elmo). Famously lampooned on Family Guy.

With guest star Sally Struthers:

Family Guy spoof:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Since this is October, I am remembering some first-run type shows based on movie/movie characters:

The War Of The Worlds - Jared Martin as a leader of a think tank group combatting the revived Martians from the original film. 2 seasons.

Friday The 13th - Anthology type series where three people hunt for "possessed" artifacts each week. 2 or 3 seasons.

Freddy's Nightmares - Our favorite punster plays Rod Sterling each week by introducing a creepy tale, another anthology series.

Each series had some success and really tried to up the gore factor since they didn't answer to network censors.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Since this is October, I am remembering some first-run type shows based on movie/movie characters:

The War Of The Worlds - Jared Martin as a leader of a think tank group combatting the revived Martians from the original film. 2 seasons.

Friday The 13th - Anthology type series where three people hunt for "possessed" artifacts each week. 2 or 3 seasons.

Freddy's Nightmares - Our favorite punster plays Rod Sterling each week by introducing a creepy tale, another anthology series.

Each series had some success and really tried to up the gore factor since they didn't answer to network censors.
defintly Freddy's nightmares,it's one of the best syndicated television shows of the 1980's.along with Tales from the darkside.it's in the same era as Freddy's nightmares.both were from the 80's.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
What are some of your favorite TV shows that were revived (or created) for broadcasting in first-run syndication? It seems to be a trend that was especially popular in the 1980s, when a host of sitcoms were brought back for a "second life" in first-run syndication after their network runs had concluded.

Any shows spring to mind for you that fit this pattern?

View attachment 145639

The above photo is a screenshot of Tiffany Brissette, the actress who played the title character on Small Wonder. The series was created specifically to air in first-run syndication, and produced 96 half-hour episodes between 1985 and 1989.
One series that continued in syndication that not many people know about is The Amos 'n Andy Show. Not really "revived" since there was no break in seasons. After two years on CBS, it was cancelled mainly because of the controversy (even back in 1953) surrounding it even though a third season was planned for CBS, it ultimately was syndicated along with the reruns of the first two years. An addition season of 13 episodes was produced for syndication the following year, originally to be titled The Adventures of Kingfish with emphasis of the Kingfish character (who was already overshadowing Amos) but it ultimately retained its original title (the character of "Lightnin'" did not appear in the final season).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks