What's new

First post, setup questions? (1 Viewer)

AlSup

Auditioning
I just got my first home theater system.
I went with a panasonic DVD player DVD-RV32.
A Kenwood reciever VR6050.
And a JBL speaker package SCS153I.

Sorry if the questions are to simple.

I plan to use the DVD as a CD player as well.

For the video connection I intend to use Svideo from the DVD to Svideo inputs on the reciever.

1. Will the yellow rca video connection also have to be used? ( i havn't used s video cables yet so I'm not sure if they have the yellow rca connect as well)
Or do the svideo from the dvd to the tv direct and the audio through the reciever?

2. For the audio out from the DVD to the reciever, do I need both the red and white rca connectors, or will the optical output be enough on its own.

The reciever will output to the tv with an Svideo connection with no audio connections to the tv?

Assuming all the above is connected properly, then any disc played would have sound through the reciever and speakers. When watching tv broadcast, the sound would go through the tv's speakers.
3. So to get the tv sound through the theater sytem, I have to connect the audio out from the tv to the reviever as well.

Thanks in advance!

1. Will the yellow rca video connection also have to be used? ( i havn't used s video cables yet so I'm not sure if they have the yellow rca connect as well)
Or do the svideo from the dvd to the tv direct and the audio through the reciever?

--> You don't need to use the yellow video RCA cable. If you connect the DVD->RECV via SVideo and the RCV->TV via SVideo, you are all set.
==========================
2. For the audio out from the DVD to the reciever, do I need both the red and white rca connectors, or will the optical output be enough on its own.

--> The optical out should suffice for DVD sound. I have my DVD player set up as a CD player also. I also connected the RED/WHITE RCA to the CD input on my receiver. This way, when I hit the CD input on my receiver, it doesn't turn the TV off. I can still watch whatever and listen to music at the same time. If I only had the DVD player audio hooked up to the DVD IN on the receiver, when I wanted to listen to music, I would need to hit the DVD source on the receiver. This would change the video source as well. In closing, it isn't necessary to connect both the optical and the RCAs from the DVD to the RCVR, but it will allow you to watch TV and listen to music at the same time.
===============================
3. So to get the tv sound through the theater sytem, I have to connect the audio out from the tv to the reviever as well.

--> Correct. Unless the Cab/Sat box has RCA A/V outs. If it does, connect those RCAs to your RECV directly and let your RECV do the switching.

==========================================

I don't have any connections to my TV besides the SVideo coming from my receiver. Thats it. My receiver will do all of my audio/video switching. If I want to watch TV, I switch the RECV to TV/SAT. If I want to watch a DVD, I change the RECV source to DVD. I don't ever need to change a thing on my TV..only the RECV.

Have fun!!

AlSup

Auditioning
Thanks for the response. I' just got back from buying the svideo and optical cables. We'll see how it goes.

Buy the way, is the system(dvd, reciever, speakers) good?
They totalled to $1100 Canadian.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Regarding the last part of your first question- routing the video through the receiver is optional. In fact, I would not do this unless :

1) You have multiple video sources besides the DVD player (cable box, satellite tuner, VCR) that also have S-video out jacks AND

2) You want to use your surround system to listen these sources AND

3) You want the convience of switching from source to source with one button (the remote controlling the receiver).

If the answer to any of these questions is no, then just hook the S-cable from the DVD player to the TV.

In the interests of keeping things as simple as possible, there should really be a grand total of 2 wires comming out of the DVD player- a digital line to the receiver for audio (optical or coax) and an S-video line to the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks