What's new

First Man (2018)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: First Man (2018)

Tagline: The most dangerous mission in history.

Genre: History, Drama

Director: Damien Chazelle

Cast: Ryan Gosling, Claire Foy, Jason Clarke, Kyle Chandler, Corey Stoll, Patrick Fugit, Christopher Abbott, Ciarán Hinds, Olivia Hamilton, Pablo Schreiber, Shea Whigham, Lukas Haas, Ethan Embry, Brian d'Arcy James, Cory Michael Smith, Kris Swanberg, Gavin Warren, Luke Winters, Connor Blodgett, Lucy Stafford, J.D. Evermore, Leon Bridges, Steve Coulter, Skyler Bible, William Gregory Lee, Choppy Guillotte, Braydyn Nash Helms, Edmund Grant, Callie Brown, Claire Smith, Brady Smith, John David Whalen, Matthew Glave, Rodney J. Hobbs, Kermit Rolison, Willie Repoley, Ben Owen, Jim Stearns, James H. Williams, William G. Tomek, Helen S. Jackson, Ambrit Millhouse, Mark Armstrong, Kevin Buttimer, Dustin Lewis, Robert Hatch, Anna Chazelle, Tyner Rushing, Myra Brown, Ronald Hicks, Lawrence Jonasson, Irina Labouz, Anthony Paolucci, Philip Boyd, Stephanie Turner, Timothy Batten, Aurelien Gaya, Todd Truley, Mark Kelly, Tim Olcott, Andrea Maria Hintermaier, Jamie Anne Allman, Charles Carroll, Brian Mahoney, Donald Watkins, Tess Oakland, Michael Lee Kimel, Ryan Clay Forbes, Joshua Powell, Thomas Clay Strickland, Brad Kitchen, Tim Harper, Andrew Armstrong, Kevin Johnson, Damian Lovello, Nelson Bonilla, Shawn Eric Jones, Andrew Stahl, Mark Kirkman, Brian David McCay, Mark Schlichting, Mark Yurgil, Andrew Buckman, Christopher Sgubin, Greg Puckett, Perry Zulu Jr., Kent Wagner, Caroline Davis, Katelyn Davis, George Linkenback

Release: 2018-10-11

Plot: A look at the life of the astronaut, Neil Armstrong, and the legendary space mission that led him to become the first man to walk on the Moon on July 20, 1969.

First Man.jpg

This is Damien Chazelle's Neil Armstrong biopic which is his followup to La La Land, and again starring Ryan Gosling.

It's also Chazelle's first film as a director which he didn't also write. Josh Singer is the writer of Spotlight and co-writer of The Post.

The trailer will drop tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I hope this is good. I don’t recall another feature film about Apollo 11 or Neil Armstrong.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Plays fine for me. I suggest looking it up on YouTube or some other site if you can't get the embed to work. It's good.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Chazelle is a pretty lousy filmmaker, but the subject matter is of great interest to me, so I’ll probably bite the bullet and see it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just want to clarify for people reading this thread in the future that I embedded the trailer in post #3 because it was not yet released when I wrote pot #1.

It subsequently got added to my post #1 when the thread was updated with the new style, which is completely fine, but makes my third post seem redundant, when in fact it was not at the time it was posted.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I saw a clip of this on Friday before mission impossible fallout.
It looks amazing!!!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I saw a preview before the IMAX showing of M:I and it looked pretty intense. All of the earthbound stuff was 2.40:1, but at the very end of the preview, it opened up to the full 1.44:1 ratio to show Armstrong standing on the moon. That was pretty impressive.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw a preview before the IMAX showing of M:I and it looked pretty intense. All of the earthbound stuff was 2.40:1, but at the very end of the preview, it opened up to the full 1.44:1 ratio to show Armstrong standing on the moon. That was pretty impressive.
The lack of sound after all the noise of the launch was striking too.

Ahab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Friederichs
I think Chazelle is a pretty lousy filmmaker, but the subject matter is of great interest to me, so I’ll probably bite the bullet and see it.

Not a big fan either. Don't care for Gosling at all. But I am looking forward to seeing this flick.
Listened to a good interview of Chazelle today on NPR's "Fresh Air":
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/10/6561...ongs-moon-walk-is-a-story-of-coping-and-grief

It gives some very good background information on the making of the film.

I graduated from high school in 1969. Was visiting with my grandparents that summer and we watched the landing on tv. My grandfather had a hard time believing it really happened even though he was watching it live.:)

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks