What's new

First it was the beeper, then the cell phone, next the ipod, now... (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

I know, he looks like an extremely gay borg in its' early stages of assimilation. "Not that there's anything wrong with that"

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Now, you see, I've mastered all of those skills, so I no longer need someone else to talk me through them like the tower talking the stewardess who takes the controls of the 747 through the landing when the crew all get food poisoning. :) Seriously, I've never understood why some people need to constantly be chatting with others whatever they're doing and wherever they are. The mere fact that technology lets us do things doesn't mean we have to do them.

Regards,

Joe

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Wow, don't we all feel cool making fun of the guy with technology? :rolleyes

For your information I wear my bluetooth "24/7" and I love the feeling of superiority it gives me. Even though it's not on I sometimes pretend like I'm talking to someone, and girls look at me like I'm something special, and that really makes me feel important.

Just like the thread starter says, you'll all be wearing one soon, all the time.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I already said, I got the speaker phone version that clips to my visor since the car is the only place I use hands-free.

So, no, I'll never be wearing one.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I suppose if you're actually using the earpiece/Bluetooth thingy that's one thing, but what I find bizarre is those who are walking down the street/in a mall with the things stuck in their ears. That's what I really find dorky and/or pretentious. Again, if you're driving or actually doing something else, that's fine, but if you're simply walking, what's so difficult about taking 2 seconds to put the thing in whilst answering your phone?

Oh well. Different strokes for different folks. I just don't like to talk for extended periods on my mobile (partly a cost issue, partly radiation), I feel it's rude to be on an extended telephone conversation in places where others have to hear your end of it when they shouldn't expect to etc and I don't like that other people could hear my end either. So all the additional accoutrements relating to cellphone use don't appeal to me. But that's just me.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Scott,
I will never wear one, so your mistaken already. So, clipping a circuit board wrapped in plastic with some cool looking lights on it to the side of your face makes you feel superior? Superior to whom, the countless thousands around you with cell phones that achieve the same end result but who DON'T look silly doing it?

I'm sorry, but some aspects of your post practically scream to be called out and appropriately disected, no one would say something as pretentious as...

if they weren't trying to garner nothing but negative attention.

RichP

Second Unit
Some of you really need to invest in a sarcasm detector to go along with your Down with Bluetooth buttons. :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

All the major bigwigs here wear one and they all walk in packs. I was shocked that they wear $80 ties too. They look no different than my $2.95 tie from the Goodwill. That was totally unrelated I know but the pic I posted is pretty damn funny.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I took Scott's post as being ironic as well.

But then again Holadem, I thought you were joking about the benifit of hands free lying around on your couch, so I guess humor can be lost on the internet.
:)

Diallo B

Screenwriter
i have an earpiece as well, but mine is really small. there are a number of models that are far less intrusive/outlandish than the ones posted in this thread.

i agree walking around with it on all day is silly.

however, the ones that have been posted here in this thread are some of the worst designs that I have EVER seen. i would not be caught dead wearing one of those even in my own house.

RichardK

Second Unit
I agree that the Bluetooth earpieces should only be used when your hand holding the phone is not option whatsoever. There are guys walking around my office area right now with the damn things in their ears. These guys arent even talking on the phone and will maybe take 2 calls in 8hrs to their cell phone because they sit right next to a office desk line that is their primary mode of telecommunication!

I also agree that they look absolutely ridiculous. If I owned one I would only use it in the car. I would wear my Blackberry on a beltclip before I would put one of those on my ear.

M2Cs

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright, here's what irritates me to no end, a guy posts something on the internet, which is mostly text, I can't see his face, read body language or hear tone of voice, they give absolutely no indication of sarcasm of any kind, I don't know the guy so I have no clue if he may or may not have a history of spouting this kind of thing...how the hell am I supposed to know if he's being ironic, sarcastic or whatever!?

I hate that kind of bait, it invites people to respond to him seriously and thus make themselves look like huge assholes. They used to call that kind of thing trolling, I don't know what the current term is.

If one is being sarcastic, do me and everyone else a favour, please, say so, or indicate it somehow, i'm not a long distance mind reader.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don't hate tha playah, hate the game! :D

IMO, technology is advancing at a far more rapid pace than the common sense in using said technology. Concerns were raised when telephones were becoming common in households, but that technology had many years to mature and eventually people learned how to use it properly, within the context of "polite society" and "common courtesy".

The problem is that in the last decade alone we've had an explosion of wireless devices and people are so giddy to use them that they haven't really thought about any sort of rules for when to use them. As evidenced by car-usage (one hand driving is fun! hope you don't have a stick!), people who are eating together but rather than talking one (or both) is on a wireless device, inappropriate use in places like a movie theater, etc. etc.

Eventually the social consciousness aspect will catch up. It's just a matter of time. One day in the not-so-distant future, these people will look in the mirror, notice the way the earpiece looks, and be very very ashamed. Kinda like how people finally realized that the mullet was not an attractive cut. ;) (j/k)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks