What's new

First it was the beeper, then the cell phone, next the ipod, now... (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Since it's annual b!tch about technology week.. :)

The latest fad everyone loves to make fun of but will probably end up getting it in the near future:

Some of you may have it already, those wireless bluetooth earpieces. I can see it's functionality while in the car, or even while walking down a city street, but having it on 24/7?? C'mon.. that just screams douchebag. For the love of jeebus, take it off when you don't need it :angry:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
If my company phone was Bluetooth phone I would definately have one of these items.

Of course I agree that it would be rather pathetic to have that thing on all the time but while driving it would be great.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
What Patrick said. I have no issue with drivers wearing it, since you don't want to be hunting for it and trying to put it on if your phone rings while you're driving, but to walk around with it is just plain stupid -- and there are lots of those people around here. I mean, how self-important are you that you need to have instant-on access to answer your mobile phone? Even if you're paranoid about radiation off the antenna of the phone, can't you take 2-3 seconds once the phone rings to get out your earpiece and put it on?

Heck, even a few years ago, some would walk around with the handsfree earpieces installed in one ear, like headphones.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well, taking the earpiece on and off 20 times a day would get pretty annoying. Besides, why would anyone think a bluetooth ear clip is any safer than a cellphone antenna. It is a cellphone antenna. How do they think the sound is going from their ear to their phone, magic?

I agree with most of the posts so far. Would love to have one for the car if my phone could handle bluetooth, otherwise wouldn't be caught dead with one of those Borg implants sticking out of my ear. Our robot overlords will just have to find some other way to assimilate me. :)

Joe

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Don, I was thinking the same thing. :)

On a similar note. The one thing I hate. Is when I see someone having an animated conversation with someone while using it. And you don't see the earpierce. So you think the person is schizo and talking to themselves. :D

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator
I bought one a few months ago to use when driving. I used it for a couple weeks (In the car only), then the novelty wore off and it sat in my cup holder for the next couple months. I eventually gave it to a friend who used it for a couple weeks and now its sitting in his cup holder :D

I just can't resist gadgets.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
If you ever catch me wearing one of those Robocop looking things; you have my permission to shoot me in the face. These things give the impression that everyone is a loon. Go to L.A., at certain angles it looks like everyone is flippin' talking to themselves.

My greatest fear isn't death; it's wearing one of these things and then maybe really liking Golf one day.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Zen, you forgot to swear off comb-overs and sans-a-belt pants.

You're not my hero unless you add these to the list of things you're more afraid of than death.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
And I thought I looked weird wearing my big Grado SR60 headphones to work every morning. :)

Hm. Bluetooth. I should find a way to hack into those things. Imagine tapping into the earpiece and going "Hey! This is the voice inside your head! You MUST do the following..." Then start making the most insane suggestions imaginable. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Since I had to buy something "Hands Free" for my car, I went with the Bluetooth Speaker phone. It clips on to my visor, so it's not as goofy as that ear clip thing.

And yes, I agree with everyone who thinks that these things make people look so stupid when they're not in a car.

I feel like I'm surrounded by virtual McDonald's Drive through employees! :D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Completely absurd. I started using my earpiece (wired) last year, and would have a hard time doing without at this point. Not having to hold my cell phone while pushing the supermarket cart, cooking, cleaning up around the house or even walking down the street or laying down on my couch is priceless. Well, it's actually free since every phone comes with one... The truth is, I barely ever use my phone's speaker.

Why hold a phone to my ear when I don't have to?

As for Bluetooth, never tried it, but I am not sure if eliminating the wire is worth the apparent weight of that thing, and the more elaborate installation, as opposed to simply inserting an ear bud.

--
H

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
While we can all agree that people could use A LOT more self-monitoring, there is such a thing as excessive self-consciousness ;).

--
H

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think that's what a lot of the gripes are about. The Bluetooth ear piece is so big, that it makes people look dorky. The earpiece (with the wire) doesn't bug me as much because I'm used to seeing people with headphones.

Look at the photo in the original post....I mean, come on! How insanely moronic does that guy look!?!?!? It looks like a High Tech/Stone Age hearing aid.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Not having to hold onto your phone while LAYING DOWN ON THE COUCH???

Cripes, do you get someone to chew your food for you too?;)

Just kidding of course, but I had to laugh a little bit at the reasoning. Addmitedly, the ear piece is better than the blue tooth, but it's still annoying as hell seeing people use either in public.

And for the record. I DO own a cell phone. I found that the solution that works best for hands free use is: don't answer the f**kin' thing when I'm occupied with such things as:
Opperating a car
Shopping
Interacting with humans/animals
Masterbating
Watching a movie
Laying around the house

and especially GOING TO THE CAN!

:) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks