What's new

First HT advice (1 Viewer)

Zach_F

Auditioning
With extra money coming in from Uncle Sam I couldn't think of a better way to spend it than on some electronic equip, yes I did have to sacrifice half the refund to get a new bedroom set for the wife......Anyway I am looking into my first HT set up, jbl s310 fronts, S-Center, S26 rears, yamaha htr5460, already have(panasonic rp56,32" tv). I wasn't sure on s310 or s312 for the front my living room is not that large 13'X 16'? I will probally listen to music as much as watch movies through the system. My couch backs right up to the wall. I could pull the couch out a little and put the speakers on stands but they would be really close to listeners heads, or I could mount them on the side walls pointing directly at the listener. If I mount them on the side, first is that possible with the jbl s26 and second does it take away from the quality of surround sound? The speaker set-up~$750, receiver 350.00+ S.H. etronics.com would greatly appreciate advice and other opinions on comparable set-ups for that price range.Make sure I am buying the right combinations... I am also a little confused about what type of speaker wire I should buy, as far as gauge and quality? Thanks for the help!! :D
Zach

CRyan

Screenwriter
I cannot help you with your speaker selection. However, I can give you a little help with rear speaker placement. You are supposed to mount your rear speakers approximately two feet behind and two feet above the listening position - facing each other. So the rear speakers should be mounted on the side walls facing your ears. I personally use the wall speaker mounts availabe at most electronic superstores. They are around $60. They free up floor space and help you get the speakers where they should be.
It sounds like you were wanting to mount them there and that is perfect. Oh and yes, those speakers (jbl s26) should be mounted the way described above.
Maybe this will help you decide on how to arrange your stuff once you figure out what stuff you are going to get. :)
In the course of writing this email, I decided to take at those speakers here
They should work fine in your size room. However, I have never heard these in a controlled environment. It looks like you are getting a good price at etronics.
C. Ryan

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
You are supposed to mount your rear speakers approximately two feet behind and two feet above the listening position - facing each other.
seems odd to have your rear-speakers firing into eachother instead of outward, toward the listener. i suppose for mono-rear playback it would work...kind of provide a really diffused sound. but for 5.1 playback, it seems like all the discrete sound would never "reach" the listener.

i'd probably face the spakers outwards instead.

obviously, to each his own. you should always experiment and whatever sounds best to you is the way to go.

fwiw, my setup is definitely not optimal right now. i had to mount my speakers almost directly over my head on a shelf. it's probably a little "too" diffused for my taste.

CRyan

Screenwriter
That recomendation is given directly from Dolby Digital for home listening environments to properly reproduce DD in the home.

C. Ryan

Todd P

Auditioning
FYI- bndonline.com has your reciever for $314.00 plus S/H not sure how much shipping would be but you might want to check it out.

Todd

Ray Melnik

Agent
I changed the rears from stands to ceiling mounts. They face each other but tilt down toward the listening area. The sound is significantly better this way for the room. Raising them up in general makes it easier to hear both channels clearly and gives it more depth, in my case.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
for speaker wire, go to your local Home Depot and get either 14- or 12-gauge speaker wire. if you need more than 10' or so for each speaker, 14-gauge is all you need.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the info cryan...i learn something new all the time!
just as an fyi to all...dolby does state in certain situations, alternate speaker placing may work. i'm not sure what (if any) specific version of dolby they're referring to though:
check out this link - section 3.3. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks