What's new

First home theater. Help spend my money. (1 Viewer)

JigStick

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but have been lingering and learning for a while now. I'm going to be installing my first home theater over the next month or two and would like some guidance along the way.

My house is brand new. The theater room is 25x27ft. I prewired the room for a 5.1 surround sound system. All the wires are buried in the wall. I also have the whole house wired for audio, and the outlets for that are also located in this room. All of the wiring comes to a wall plate where I built shelves to hold all of the av gear.

So far I have a 55in samsung LCD mounted on the wall. And I purchased a JL Fathom subwoofer. I need guidance on a reciever and speakers though. My budget is around $5000. I'm thinking about a Denon 4310 reciever and the Klipsh RB81 speaker system. Any opinions thus far?

Doug

JigStick

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Does anybody have advice? I cant believe nobody has responded yet....

ljforster

Auditioning
Real Name
Lawrence J. Forster
5K budget for everything? I have about the same budget and I was told 2k on the receiver is a little much. You should look in the 1000 to 1200 range. Are you open to buying on the internet? What speaker manufacturers are available in your area? You need to listen to as many speakers as possible. Only you can make the call on what sounds good to you. People can make recommendations but in the end it's your ears. Also make sure you take a mix cd with you to listen and maybe a dvd so you have a good comparison. I've been recommended to purchase the sub online from SVS, HSU, or elemental designs. You will obviously get more for your money, same thing with the speakers. Do a little research in the speakers section and receiver/separates section to help.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Great post Lawrence!

Doug,

That's one hell of a sub. Nice Denon. For the speakers, many people love Klipsch, others (like me) find them fatiguing. But... The ones you listed to are only $300????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks