What's new

First Attempt at HT - have questions (1 Viewer)

Ralph Bru

Stunt Coordinator
I Love Them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont have much space either and these just fit anywhere and for the size give off a great sound and can handle power, true power.

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for asking Vlad :)
I started another thread saying that I decided on purchasing seperate components. I have ordered a Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver through jandr.com as they offered free shipping, $70 less than BB, no taxes and a dirt cheap extended warranty. It should arrive today or Monday me thinks.
I've put everything else on hold until I receive the receiver. I don't want to purchase a whole lot at this time because I have some probs. with my house including possible extensive mold damage. So........when I finally get the air quality test back I can see where I am. until then I just like to peruse this forum when time allows.
Have a good one!
Shana

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Shana,

I’m also a HT newbie. But interested in moderately upscale music reproduction for many years. Most in this forum would put me on the low end—my wife thinks top-end.

Regardless, I don’t think that you can go wrong with the advice given and I can’t add to that. If you want some advice on speakers, I can recommend two places in Dallas (I know Texas is a big place):

Ed Kellum and Son Appliance (on Cole, just south of Knox)

and

Hillcrest High Fidelity (on Preston across from Valley View Mall and another just north of the Parker/N. Dallas Tollway in Plano

Both of the places have some very upscale equipment (especially Hillcrest). But they both have some very good rooms where you can listen to a variety of speakers.

Don’t be intimidated by the appearance or tone of all the expensive equipment. They have been in business for a long time and understand that many who begin with low end equipment will later purchase higher-end systems. They both have salesmen who will be helpful, even if you don’t know anything. And by now you know more than most.

And if you are treated condescendingly, you can walk out.

If you don’t live in the Metroplex, I’m sure that there are similar places nearby.

Listen and (IMO) you will see why many of the posts are so passionate.

Just my view.

Lots of luck and good listening,

Lew

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Lew, thanks!
I have heard Ed Kellum advertized on the radio. I do live in the DFW area so thank you for the recommendations.
So far I have ordered and rcvd. the Yamaha HTR-5550 due to the recommendations of those in this forum and the salesman at BB. Unfortunately, I am put on hold for anything else as I will be displaced for a while due to some house repairs. :frowning:
To be honest with you, I am more apt to purchase equipment online than having tested it out, as I 1) hate shopping, not your average woman, I know, and 2) don't have the "ear" for sound, and 3) can do all the research I want online including reading comments from people who have purchased speakers, DVD, TV, etc., and get a good idea of what to buy or not to buy than from a salesman :)
Thanks again,
Shana

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Shana,
Check out www.hometheaterdirect.com
They have a level one system for $149 and a level 2 system for $499. They sell mainly on the internet, but they are actually based in Allen, so you could go listen if you call them first.
Here is a great package from etronics:
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=arhc6
It gets very good reviews and is only $397, plus it looks nice.
So the mold thing is a bummer. How long before you know anything?
I live in South Ft. Worth and would be glad to help you go to Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and help you pick speaker wire and cable, and guide you through the hook up. The Yamaha 5550 is a nice choice. I am going to buy one for my daughter, who is going off to college.

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Brian! I too am in Fort Worth but I won't be able to look for any new equipment until my house is repaired.
But I will keep you to your promise of helping pick out wires, etc. :)
Will probably be at least 2 months before I am good to go, the adjuster will come out the end of the week and then I will get a better estimate of how long and what all it will entail, gulp.
Thanks again,
Shana

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Shana,
I can't answer that question. I haven't heard any of them. But here is a review:
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...search_hc6.htm
Look at the AR home page to try and find a dealer that might have them to audition. Or look in the yellow pages.
You can probably "hear" the JBL's at Best Buy, although it may not be a great audition.
The Home Theater Direct speakers you can audition in Allen, north of Dallas. Call them ahead of time.
Have you looked at other forums for info?
www.avsforum.com
www.hometheaterspot.com
You can email me if you want.

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Well....it's been over a month since I first requested all your help, the time sure flys by. I still have only gotten the Yamaha HTR-5550 receiver, haven't hooked it up as I am still waitng to be kicked out of my house for a few weeks for all the fun remediation and such. I also haven't had much time to continue with my HT research which I find is quite fun.

I did step into CC yesterday with a friend and heard their Polk 6600 and 6000 speakers. They sounded quite nice. Do you know how they rate compared to the JBL nsp1 and Home Theater Level 2 you all have mentioned so often?

Also, if I did buy speakers online from a Texas store, wouldn't I have to pay sales tax?

Thanks for all your help. Try to stay cool this summer!

Shana

Merrill

Grip
Wow, you people are great. I am really glad I stumbled onto this site. There isn't much out there (or at least not nearly as much) for making component decisions versus just buying.

Here's my current situation and I invite comments and suggestions. The room is rather large with a high vaulted ceiling. There is a window to the rear, behind the couch, but there is a good 6 foot gap. The room is about 20 by 40 and opens up into the kitchen (it's a very cool house).

I've already purchased the Sony STR-DE885 receiver that will sit next to my Sony KP-57HW40 TV. I haven't got the receiver yet (should arrive Wednesday) but I thought it was a good price ($299 + SH from Etronics.com) and a good place to start.

I was initially looking for a speaker kit because I really don't know that much and I figure, as some mentioned, I could always upgrade later (or never). I am not an audiophile but I do like good sound when watching movies which is what we will be doing 99% of the time. The Flunance and HomeTheaterDirect look good. However, after reading all the posts I am thinking I should be more bold.

Keeping with what I've read, I like the JBL S36II 3-Way 6" ($249 + SH) for mains and the JBL S-CENTERII 3-Way ($141 + SH) as the center. I've heard the three front speakers should be the same manufacturer. I am not sure of the Sub or the surround yet. I figure I could get comfortable with these and then move on.

Any thoughts?

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'm not them most knowledgeable here, Shane, but I'll throw in a couple cents that I just picked up a few days ago. :)
Fluance speakers make for an excellent budget combo. While I've never heard them, I have heard wonderful things about them on this forum. I'm sure they'd make a wonderful HT and would outperform most (or all) HTiB's.
Fluance AV-HTB
.. just another option. :)

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
So what do you guys think of Polk speakers?
I'm so bummed right now..........what am I doing, I am not going to unload my problems on you guys.......all I can say is that Robin Williams on HBO has made my frown a LOL
refer to line 1 please :)
Shana

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
S -

Yup, you pay tax if you live in the same state as the vendor.

Generally, the JBL's win in a vote but they are way more popular, more common. Must mean something!

Good luck with the haus!

- CM

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to re-visit this thread to see what you all had said about speaker wire and such as I will be moving back to my house in the next couple of weeks, finally!!!! :D
Since I have spent so many months out of my house, I have had lots of time to research all that I have learned from this amazing forum! I have tons of notes and recommendations that I have written down.
As of this date, I still have my HTR-5550 receiver that I haven't even gotten to hook up yet. I purchased a Samsung HDTV-ready flat screen that I love. Just picked up the HDVR2 (sp?) DirecTivo. I decided to utilize my formal living room and make that the HT room so I have more space for all this fun stuff. Still trying to decide which DVD player. I really like using www.activebuyersguide.com.
As I said before, the chase is most of the fun for me. Still looking at speakers. Actually, just ordered and received a pair of the Newton Series M80 speakers off hifi.com's ebay store. I guess they are refurbs or open-box but they look brand new, very nice mahogany to match my living room. That's all I have ordered so far for speakers because I wanted to see how well these work and look.
So, after six months of displacement from my house I will soon finally have the HT surround setup I have wanted!! :D
I have the option of adding a multi-switch to my current DSS or paying $99 and buying the oval dish which is what the guy at UE recommended. Will probably pay for them to set it up as well as the speakers.
Everyone at this forum has been great! My thanks for all the advice.
Shana

TimTurtino

Stunt Coordinator
Buy the oval dish-- it pulls in more signal and gives you more upgrade options. Install cost will probably be more than than that anyway (although you can install yourself).

Me

Ken_VW

Grip
Shana,
Confusing it can be for sure. I am also new to HT and had all the same questions & confusion as you. Although it is frowned on by many here... I bought a HTIB system. I got the Onkyo HTS-650 unit which comes w/out a DVD player. I got the panasonic RP62 Player. I am completely satisfied with the purchase. Although I did some tweaking, I had it going the nite I brought it home. Be advised that you will need some additional cables that aren't included in any HTIB system.
Do a search here on the Onkyo system & you will find nothing but good comments. It's sounds awesome to me. It sells for 499 most anywhere. I got mine for 429. That leaves you with some $$ left for the DVD & wires. It comes with a universal remote but it wouldn't control my TV or the DVD. That was a negative. I got another universal now & I am happy as a pig in mud.

Sidenote: the newest Onkyo system that replaces mine just came out (I don't know the model#) at the same time I bought mine. It has a DVD player built into the receiver/amp component. That would save some shopping and some wires & takes up less space. I listened to them both. It sounds good too. It does cost a bit more, but if you figure the price of a DVD player, audio cables,& a video cable it probably is a wash.

Ken

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
Ken, thanks for the reply!
Over the past few months I have purchased a receiver, TV, and most of the speakers and am just in the need for a DVD. After viewing this site for a while, I got the HT bug and decided on building my own system.
If I had gone HTiB I think it would have been Onkyo as you did. If I had I would have saved a lot of money but I like a little challenge ;)
I hope you enjoy yours.
Thanks again,
Shana

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks