What's new

Newbie doing homework before I buy (1 Viewer)

sjburkett

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Burkett
I am attempting my first HT setup and have some beginner questions. First, I have an LG BD370 Blu-Ray that has only 2 RCA audio outputs, but also has a single orange "coaxial" audio ouput that looks like an RCA port, and an optical audio ouput. I had my house built with 4 ceiling drops already wired to a home run. I'd like to know if I can still get sound to whatever 4 speakers I install in the ceiling with what I have, or do I need to buy a receiver? Should I get a different Blu-Ray player? I'm open to suggestions for packages that include round ceiling speakers, but haven't had much luck finding such - only components.

Thanks for any and all help!

Stephen

SethH

Senior HTF Member
A couple things:

1. Your Bluray player should also have an HDMI output which can carry both audio and video and is your best bet for both.
  2. You'll want to buy a receiver. If your bluray player had a built-in decoder you could potentially get away with purchasing just a power amp, but that's really not a route I would recommend going. Spending around $300 can get you a solid receiver these days.
  3. In addition to the 4 speaker locations wire is currently run to, you will almost certainly want a center channel speaker and a subwoofer as well.

sjburkett

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Burkett
Thanks for the help - my Blu-Ray does have an HDMI that currently goes to the TV, but only one output. How can I run HDMI out to both the TV and receiver using a single output? Out from the receiver via HDMI to the TV perhaps? That is not intuitive to me.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by sjburkett

Thanks for the help - my Blu-Ray does have an HDMI that currently goes to the TV, but only one output. How can I run HDMI out to both the TV and receiver using a single output? Out from the receiver via HDMI to the TV perhaps? That is not intuitive to me.

You run HDMI from the Blu-ray to the receiver, then HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I assume your 4 ceiling drops are for the installation of the surround and rear speakers of a 7.1 system. If it is not too late I would reconsider the option of ceiling speakers. No matter what speakers you purchase they are not going to perform very well as part of a surround system. The better option is to have the wires installed so that you can get access to them and install conventional surround speakers of your choice. You will have a far greater selection of speakers and you can take them with you if you move.

sjburkett

Auditioning
Real Name
Stephen Burkett
I have yet to choose the speakers for the ceiling - there are simply wires run to the predetemined locations for me to install speakers at, and routed through the ceiling and wall down to where the receiver will be. I had planned on getting some simple 6.5" speakers for each of the four drops - two in front and two behind. I had planned on adding a center channel and subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks