Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quick questions....

1. How do I set up Firefox to automatically
open every new website in a new tab? Currently
I have to inconveniently right click and indicate
I want the new site to open in a new tab.

2. What is the best Firefox plug-ins website?

3. Where do I get a plug-in to handle FLASH?

4. What cool (and most essential) Firefox plug-ins
do you recommend and why?

I am really starting to get into Firefox and appreciate
the assistance. Thank You.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
In Mozilla (which I assume would be the same), you can go to Edit --> Preferences --> Navigator --> Tabbed Browsing. One of the options (the closest to what you're looking for) allows you to open a page in a new tab by middle-clicking it (pushing down on the scroll button). I've gotten used to it pretty quick.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
There may be a way to open all new windows in a tab, but I'm not sure of how to make it default.

If you've got a mouse with a scroll wheel or a 3rd (middle) button, the default (I believe) setting is to open any link clicked with the 3rd button in a new tab. My scroll wheel clicks, so it's used to open links in a new tab. That gives you the choice of using the current tab or opening a new one.

As for plugins....I've always used the Tools/Extensions menu. Then click "Get More Extensions" and you've got tons to choose from.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
As far as extensions I am running just three:

Adblock - to block popups and filter some ads out
Copy Plain Text - So I can copy HTML formatted text to send in email as plain text
Weatherfox - Puts current weather based on a zip code in the status bar and also a small forecast if so desired. Can be customized to say other things like barometric pressure, sunrise, sunset, etc. It's pretty neat!

Jay

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
1. Go to tools->extensions->get more extensions and Download Single Window 1.4 (under tabbed browsing on the left menu). This will open links that normally open on a new window in a tab including javascript links.

Optionally you can make the tab activate automatically if you select Options->advanced under the browsing section and check "Select New tabs opened from links".

2. I guess the link in tools->extensions->get more extensions
which takes you to:
FireFox Extensions and Themes site

3. Just go to the flash site and download the installer. Once you run the executable it will install it for firefox.
Flash site

4. I use the IEView extensions for those sites that can only be viewed correctly in IE you right-click and view in IE.
And I also added search engines such as amazon google groups , google images and dictionary.com.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

I actually got rid of this one. I like being able to get javascript links etc to open in the same window, but I also like the option of having 2 firefox windows open with multiple tabs in each (and this extension prevented the second instance from launching). Guess you can't have it both ways...

ctrl+ click is your friend though.

Currently I have these extenstions installed:

IEView-Essential for those sites that just don't work in FF. Would be nice to be able to launch this to view the CURRENT window in IE though.

Dictionary Search-Great tool that does a dictionary.com lookup in a new tab. Also available for thunderbird.

Duplicate Tab-Duplicate a tab or merge tabs in other windows into a single window.

Image Zoom-Another great one-make any image larger. Great for ebay!

miniT-Rearrange tabs by dragging them around. Very useful.

Actually, is there any way to get results from the search bar to open in a new tab? I could have sworn it did at one point...

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Great thread. Firefox is the only browswer I use anymore.
I will have to look into the weather,dictionary & image enlarger extensions.

While I am here........ I am sort of asking just the opposite, is there any way I can STOP mozilla from opening a clickable link when I click the middle/scroll button?

Thanks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay,

So other than CTRL+CLICK there is no way to
open a link automatically in a new tab?

That's kind of beat, but I'll get used to CTRL+CLICK

By the way....

What are "mouse gestures"?

Saw that extension somewhere.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
mouse gestures are awesome they allow you to do things like changing pages etc with a mouse movement instead of clicking something. very cool once you get used to it. Linkification is a cool extension, it makes any text link a clickable url kinda handy instead of copy and paste url and what not.

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator

Yes there is. With the extension Single Window 1.4 like I described in my previous post. I use it all the time and it works great.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
not only are mouse gestures convenient they're also pretty fun to do :)
it's just annoying when you're on someone else's computer and can't figure out why the stupid browser won't go back when you want it to...plus it's kinda hard to draw an 'h' if you're in a hurry.

Another good thing to add to firefox is "search engines" to the default google search in the top right. I think they might have thrown more engines in 1.0pr but if you haven't added dictionary.com ebay.com amazon.com etc. give it a try. very convenient time saver.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I started my Firefox using with 1.0PR and my default search bar includes:

Amazon
Ebay
Dictionary.com
Google
Yahoo

And a button to install more...

Jay

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Albert,

I installed that single window extension.

All it did was open up links in a new window.....

...that is, unless I did something wrong.

I need a program that will open up links in
new tabs, one window.

Thus far CTRL+CLICK works good.

BTW, I have avoided using Firefox for a while
because I didn't think it would fare as well as
IE or MYIE2/MAXTHON. Since using it over the
past few days I have become addicted. It seems
far faster and less buggy than the other browsers.

Thanks for all the help guys

StephenL

Second Unit

Middle-click opens the link in a background tab;
Shift+Middle-click opens the link in a foreground tab.

AlbertA

Stunt Coordinator
Ronald,

try going to Tools->Extensions and selection Single Window and click the options button. There is a chance it might be currently disabled.

I have selected:
Enable Single Window Mode.
Open Extenal links in a new tabs
Open links with invalid targets in new tabs.
Open JavaScript links in new tabs

In my setup (FireFox 1.0PR) it does what you want, in opens new tabs in a single window.

Hope this helps.

A

Andrew_A_Paul

This used to work in FF 0.8 You could right click a file (wav, mpg, jpg... you name it) and save target as or save file as, and if you had it set to save to a certain file, it would do it with no popup asking where to save at. It would also modify file name if the same name already exists (say wav1.wav would change to 1-1wav.wav or something). With FF 1.0 it still asks you what file to save it to. Any extentions to fix this? Thanks.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have been using FF for about two months now & will never go back to IE.
The extensions I get the most use out of are:
Bug-Me-Not: Never have to sign up for a web site again, and it actually works!
Dictionary Search: self explanatory, just highlight a word, right click and bingo.
AdBlock: a really nice adjustable ad blocker...and it actually works!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks