What's new

Fincher signs on for "Mission: Impossible 3" (FLASH! replaced by Joe Carnahan) (1 Viewer)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Dark Horizons also posted some news on this:
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news.htm
Director David Fincher ("Se7en", "Panic Room") is in final negotiations to helm the next adventure in the Paramount action franchise according to The Guardian. Of the film, Fincher said during a recent UK promo tour for "Panic Room" that the MI3 script's central concept was "a really cool idea, really violent" and "if [Paramount] let us do even half of what we want, it should make for a pretty interesting film"
Control-freak Fincher with control-freak Cruise? Now that's a pairing I'd love to see. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I saw this this morning as well. Apparently, the two became friends while both looking at a WWII pic. As noted, they are both control freaks, but I doubt Tom will lock Fincher out of the editing room. DF has a way of dealing with actors ;)
The only question is how Tom'll look at the end of the movie...I doubt he'll just get a sexy Woo scar on his cheek. Fincher is not kind to attractive leading stars:D
Take care,
Chuck
But it is Fincher. I'll be there opening day:)

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Damn, I don't even know what to think. I gotta let this sink in. I kinda want it to be true since more Fincher films equals more Fincher dvds for me. On the other hand this could be a bad thing. Guess I'll just have to sit back and see what happens and where this takes us.

Jeff Graebner

Auditioning
Variety is reporting this today as well, so there is likely some truth to the report.

I'm not sure it is that smart for Finscher to again be taking on the 3rd film in a franchise...

-Jeff

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
Oh s*** did someone post the details of this movie 6 to 12 months ago, Rendezvous with Rama? Either it was a possible script or a movie draft about this film. All I can recall about this film is that it would need to be CGI heavy. Can someone tell me what this flick is supoose to be about, I do remember the story being damn cool.

Luc D

Second Unit
I think it's disappointing to see Fincher opt for these types of highly commercial and essentially risk free projects. He showed a lot of promise with Fight Club, but with Panic Room being so mediocre and lazy, and now this I'm starting to think that he's going to remain as simply a "good for his generation" director. MI:3, please! Has to be one of the most boring film franchises out there.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Have to second the :rolleyes:on Fincher selling out. Is he supposed to only take Fight Club or Se7en films now? Panic Room was a great break from Fight Club, and I thought it was a great change.
Quite simply, after Fight Club, Fincher does not need to "prove" himself to the cinema intelligentsia. This is a NEW, unexpected direction, and I welcome it. I can only HELP his efforts with Rendezvous at Rama. I admire Fincher for NOT pigeonholing himself. I look forward to MI3 FAR more than I did.
Take care,
Chuck

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hey, after four movies (The Game, Se7en, Fight Club & Panic Room) David Fincher has not let me down. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. I'm in!

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm with Carlo on this one. David Fincher certainly has a terrific dirctorial style. I will see any movie that he directs.
Doing a film such as this - one that is likely to be a finanical success - is good for him to take. It may allow him to be considered for projects that he may not have been otherwise considered for based on the assumed success of MI:3.
The script may be really cool and really violent, but I very much doubt that Paramount will allow Fincher to have his way with a film such as this. If he does, the film will most likely be slapped with the dreaded "R" rating.
God forbid that any film be aimed towards adults. :rolleyes

ShawnCoghill

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Carlo actually its 5 films Alien 3,Se7en,The Game,Fight Club,and Panic Room,But was Alien 3 really that bad??? Well,uh I hate to say anything against the Sublime Fincher,but it wasnt Great,But It wasnt Horrible,I mean what did he have to work with?,an over-the-hill franchise,and a stupid plot.I give him credit for doing anything with it at all,,Hey You gotta break in somewhere.I am surprised that he would do MI3 but that could really come across quite right,if he gets his way with it,and Paramount doesnt pull out the Sheep Shears at the Editing Board,so as to pull in the tasty PG-13 250 million dollar July 4 weekend 15 year old kid screaming to his half retarded friends about how the "bike went up on its FRONT Wheels!!!!!" movie. Hey but whatever Its Fincher if he screws up with it,Dont we all know he'll be back with some major directing chops right away.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well Fincher does love his effects shots too, so I can see the CGI flowing. But Fincher also understands narrative storytelling, while Woo is more of a character piece/mood film style director.

I think spy films require good narrative work more than cool tone/posturing. Something that hurt Mamet's Heist as well.

I thought DePalma's storytelling was pretty solid and I would like to see the series go back to being more about espionage and less about straight Bond over-the-top action. M:I 1 did have some action sequences (including the rather poor helicopter bit) but not to the ridiculous extent that M:I 2 did.

I'd rather see M:I 3 play more like Ronin than M:I 2. To me Fincher could go either way, especially if he isn't able to keep Cruise in check or gain Cruise's respect.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Well, I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on in Mission: Impossible, and I was bored shitless by MI:2, so maybe MI:3 will strike the right balance.:) Not too stupid, but not too smart.:D

Luc D

Second Unit
Who said anything about selling out? Fincher was a commercial filmmaker to begin with. I just find it disappointing to see him sign on for these types of bloated, boring star vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks